Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are aluminum heads worth it? Which ones? Here are some answers. >

Are aluminum heads worth it? Which ones? Here are some answers.

Notices

Are aluminum heads worth it? Which ones? Here are some answers.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Toys in the Toy Box!

Vette131:

If you are talking about our Raylar 8.1L/496's set to 509 cu.in. with our kits and such they range between 525HP and 625HP normally aspirated.
Our 600 cubic inch 9.2L/496's run about 750HP and our Raylar SCR/Whipple equipped engines top out now at 805HP. But there is always something in the WORKS here at Raylar .
How about a new upgraded HP525efi Merc Racing that makes 675HP on 89 pump gas at 5300 rpms?

We can usally wet just about most average JOE BOATERS "Whistle"!

Thanks for asking.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered

Wink How to some good Head!

I thought I would post some never seen before on the internet shots of our Raylar BigPower aluminum 8.1L/496 cylinder head.
Its really nice what you can do with a clean sheet of paper, a flow bench and Darin Morgan doing the tweeking!

It is also amazing what velocity and flow can do for a head!
This head has a 2.25" intake valve that flows 395 cfm @.650 lift and a 1.80" exhaust valve that flows 305 cfm @.650 lift, and it does not stop there at those lift numbers. The low lift flows and velocities are quite impressive also.

Note the combustion chamber, its a peanut shaped fast burn type design. How does it work, well in big power engines we have built it only needs about 30-31 degrees of max timing advance max to make peak power numbers. Whats that mean, less advance, it means the combustion is quicker and more efficient here that in a head that needs 36 degrees!

This one of the parts that makes Raylar 496 engines and kits really work!

This is why I talk about TODAYS cylinder head design and performance versus old 1967-1970 vintage designs.
We've learned a lot in 30 years!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Attached Thumbnails Are aluminum heads worth it? Which ones? Here are some answers.-raylars-chamber.jpg   Are aluminum heads worth it? Which ones? Here are some answers.-raylar-cnc-intake-port.jpg   Are aluminum heads worth it? Which ones? Here are some answers.-raylars-exhaust-port.jpg  

Last edited by Raylar; 01-24-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What can be done to Dart Iron Eagle's to make them better?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV
Here is whats in the works. A true marine head.
Nice job Jim V & great job on the BIG Chiefs .

Eddie i think if you massaged the AFRs they'd be off the hook !
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread !!!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
I thought I would post some never seen before on the internet shots of our Raylar BigPower aluminum 8.1L/496 cylinder head.
Its really nice what you can do with a clean sheet of paper, a flow bench and Darin Morgan doing the tweeking!

It is also amazing what velocity and flow can do for a head!
This head has a 2.25" intake valve that flows 395 cfm @.650 lift and a 1.80" exhaust valve that flows 305 cfm @.650 lift, and it does not stop there at those lift numbers. The low lift flows and velocities are quite impressive also.

Note the combustion chamber, its a peanut shaped fast burn type design. How does it work, well in big power engines we have built it only needs about 30-31 degrees of max timing advance max to make peak power numbers. Whats that mean, less advance, it means the combustion is quicker and more efficient here that in a head that needs 36 degrees!

This one of the parts that makes Raylar 496 engines and kits really work!

This is why I talk about TODAYS cylinder head design and performance versus old 1967-1970 vintage designs.
We've learned a lot in 30 years!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray, nice looking head/port/chamber and nice flow/lift numbers, but do you have a Chevy Mark-4 designed head available like the one you have shown?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Wink

Kamma:

Thank you for the compliments, we think their pretty cool parts too!

Sorry to say we don't have a Raylar head to fit the GEN4,5,6 big blocks. I wish we did, I guess we could sell a ton of them!
Raylar needs more capital so we can develop more parts like this. It costs about $150K+ minimum to get a new head to market and some time to do so.
I think that some of the offerings from AFR, Profiler, Dart and some of the things I see Valako doing are the best available now in the industry.

Would we like to design and build such a head, you bet!

Could Raylar do a better job on these with our approach and science, you bet, we just need more money to get it done.

Best Regards
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what about that t.v. show shark-tank,,,,ray