Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What was your earliest perf boating memory? >

What was your earliest perf boating memory?

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

seems lots of us got bitten early...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up down the block from "Muscle Boats", which was the big Hydrostream distibutor on LI in the late 70's and early 80's. Everytime we drove to go anywhere, you would have to pass the shop, and usually every two months or so, you would see a new stack of boats lined up in the lifts. Occassionally, we would ride our bikes down there to get a closer look, and the guy who owned it was pretty friendly and let us walk around (its now a podiatrists office). Occasioanally some neighbor would buy one, and you would see them racing around the Great South Bay, and just stand there in awe. Then when I was around 16, my nieghbor bought a brand new 22' activator, and another one bought a 21' Superboat, and I was hooked ever since
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Linder and I were standing next to the Nile when the annual Pharoah's river races were starting. Let me tell you when the slave masters began to snap their whips and the oars started flashing, we were hooked.

Soon after that, I got my first whip and it comes in handy to this day.

T2x
Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Linder and I were standing next to the Nile when the annual Pharoah's river races were starting. Let me tell you when the slave masters began to snap their whips and the oars started flashing, we were hooked.

Soon after that, I got my first whip and it comes in handy to this day.

T2x
and Cleopatra blew you a kiss went they went by?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Registered

I grew up on the Susquehanna River in Williamsport, PA from the early 70's thru the 80"s. Our first river lot consisted of about 10 families and one of the guys had a 73 or 74 Glasstron with a 115 Merc. At about 40 mph it was the fastest boat on the river. A few years later we joined another river lot with only 1 other family. The son who was in his early 20's at the time bought a 18' jet boat with a 454 that would do about 70mph if I remember right. His father took me out for a ride one day and let me drive. An experience that I'll never forget!!!Being around 12 years old I could barely reach the gas pedal and the father kept encouraging me to go faster. WHAT A RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about 10yrs old my oldman took me to Detroit to the the races and planted the seed...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Ms. Simon my third grade teacher....
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

Back in 1976 my dad took me to my first Offshore race on Lake St. Clair, got to see Lil' Rhino, Wolverine and all the the old gang race, within the year we moved out on the water and I got my first ride in a 27 magnum jumping a couple cruiser wakes and I was hooked ever since.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

My earliest memories are with my grandfather on Lake Erie. Grandparents lived on the water and i spent a lot of time there in the summer. Had this little Cruisers Inc wood boat that i ran everywhere. Thats me in the front middle and my brother in the back. The kid next to me was a neighbor at the cottage. Great memories and my biggest influence for boating bar none.
Attached Thumbnails What was your earliest perf boating memory?-usinboat.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
June 1992..... My uncle invites me out in his 1991/92 Sonic 38SS named "Seeeee Ya" that he ran all winter in South Florida and had shipped up to NYC for the summer..... ten minutes after pulling into the marina I am hooked for life........ I have tried a few times here on OSO to locate this Sonic with no luck......... I wonder if it is still out there somewhere........??
Johnny, thats dedication, 15+ years later and you went with a Sonic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.