Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   32 skater rough water ability (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223485-32-skater-rough-water-ability.html)

32-DD 01-27-2010 06:56 PM

32 skater rough water ability

I have a 1994 32 Skater 1/4 canopy what are the realistic conditions this boat can run in? I dont mean haul ass but what can it get up on and run reasonably comfortable in? I see post all the time were people claim 24-28s run in 3-5 footers.
I mainly boat on an big inland lake and never have had any problems running in boat chop or 3 footers. I have the old witz end race boat converted to pleasure with 580ci 800hp blower motors, was just curious of its true capabilities? Thanks

sandlotsparks 01-27-2010 07:08 PM

true 3-4 footers would be max to run any decent speed at all. you would need 40+ to run 4-5's over 80 mph

thedonz 01-27-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by sandlotsparks (Post 3032980)
you would need 40+ to run 4-5's

sorry but i totally disagree

sandlotsparks 01-27-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by thedonz (Post 3033015)
sorry but i totally disagree

what do you disagree with? do you own and have experience with the 32' or 40+ cats?

HotPursuit 01-27-2010 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Depends on the size of your Nads!!! :drink:
I have always lived and boated on Lake Pontchartrain probably one of the roughes lakes in the country because of size and average depth of 13'. The 32 is a bad ass boat I would think depending on the type of spread 3-5 should be no problem.
But that's me my training grounds is rough 75% of the time!!
Flat lakes and rivers do nothing for my adrenaline rush. :D

dreamboater 01-27-2010 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 3033051)
Depends on the size of your Nads!!! :drink:
I have always lived and boated on Lake Pontchartrain probably one of the roughes lakes in the country because of size and average depth of 13'. The 32 is a bad ass boat I would think depending on the type of spread 3-5 should be no problem.
But that's me my training grounds is rough 75% of the time!!
Flat lakes and rivers do nothing for my adrenaline rush. :D

Exactly! I see these posts all the time. One person may be comfortable in 3-5's in a 32 where the other is scared to death. The boat would probably handle it but the driver may not. Its a preference issue. Me personally I wouldnt run my 28 above 80 in anything more than a true 2'. Wave heights are like fish stories....

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 12:52 AM

Take a look at this.

Here is an excellent vid of a 32 skater with twin (at least 900's) running alongside a 39 v in 2-4's.

In the 2's the skater walks away but loses its advantage to the v with twin 700's when the waves get to be about 3 feet.

The 2 boats were side by side basically from one checkpoint to the next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahM3fTuifWs

Uncle Dave

Nauti Kitty 01-28-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 32-DD (Post 3032977)
I have a 1994 32 Skater 1/4 canopy what are the realistic conditions this boat can run in? I dont mean haul ass but what can it get up on and run reasonably comfortable in? I see post all the time were people claim 24-28s run in 3-5 footers.
I mainly boat on an big inland lake and never have had any problems running in boat chop or 3 footers. I have the old witz end race boat converted to pleasure with 580ci 800hp blower motors, was just curious of its true capabilities? Thanks

What drives do you have? What is reasonably comfortable? Its been proven time and time again that a 32 skater can haul azz in 3-5' ocean waves and boat wakes It would not be comfortable in any way in 5' waves on Lake Michigan but it can be done.
Parnell

HotPursuit 01-28-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3033227)
Take a look at this.

Here is an excellent vid of a 32 skater with twin (at least 900's) running alongside a 39 v in 2-4's.

In the 2's the skater walks away but loses its advantage to the v with twin 700's when the waves get to be about 3 feet.

The 2 boats were side by side basically from one checkpoint to the next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahM3fTuifWs

Uncle Dave

Must have been a girl driving the Skater.:party-smiley-004: Didnt look that rough. :drink:

merctwofive 01-28-2010 02:43 PM

... a 17 yr. old. :grinser010: In the comments he says that Skater had 1100's. That EVO is nice but not even in the same league speed wise if that's true. That water didn't look that rough... not a bad starter boat for a kid...

Pro1 01-28-2010 03:19 PM

The Skater that fell back is AJ's old 36 all different colors and fades which has 1100s or something like that. That 32 was for sale recently and I think has 850s in the ad. I dont t think that EVO was beating both of these boats. The kid driving the EVO can think happy thoughts because both Skaters run. Also Predator pulled in the video behind him and that boat is exceptionally fast.

32-DD 01-28-2010 03:22 PM

my drives are #5s
the driver of the 39v was 17yr old and its a 36 skater with 1100s

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by merctwofive (Post 3033606)
... a 17 yr. old. :grinser010: In the comments he says that Skater had 1100's. That EVO is nice but not even in the same league speed wise if that's true. That water didn't look that rough... not a bad starter boat for a kid...

Sure on a lake that skater would run away from a twin 700 39 evo like it was chained to a house- But they werent on a lake.

I posted this so the guy asking the original question could get a sense of how the 32 runs in the ocean.

Yeah it didnt look that big now did it? but it was just enough for a much slower boat spotting the skater some 800 ponies to run side by side with it.

Speed is like accuracy in shooting, its not what you can do, its what can you do RIGHT NOW under these conditions.

The 17 year old is Chris Camire JR. at 17 he's got more seat time than most of us did at 30.

UD

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 04:45 PM

That 36 Skater will walk away from that Lavey in any water if you run the boat how its made to be run! There's plenty of boats in that vid that are faster than the Lavey in any water, Skater and Outerlimits. Not everyone has to run WFO on a poker run. To say that that boat runs better than a Skater is taking it a little far.

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3033715)
That 36 Skater will walk away from that Lavey in any water if you run the boat how its made to be run! There's plenty of boats in that vid that are faster than the Lavey in any water, Skater and Outerlimits. Not everyone has to run WFO on a poker run. To say that that boat runs better than a Skater is taking it a little far.

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Maybe the driver cant drive his 500K boat. Its a possibility maybe we can get his take on it.

You can tell him he cant "run the boat the way it was mean to be run!"

UD

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 06:27 PM

If you run that skater to its potential it will run cirles around the Lavey. Maybe the owner didnt fee llike running the boat hard.

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3033805)
If you run that skater to its potential it will run cirles around the Lavey. Maybe the owner didnt fee llike running the boat hard.

Not in that water it wont.

Thats what the owner of it told both Chris JR and Senior. Feel free to take it up wit those three- they are quite open and honest about it.

They were all the same poker run stops.

10 feet of boat length makes a huge difference in any kind of real water,as the situation demonstrates.

UD

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 06:50 PM

Think what you want................

TeamSaris 01-28-2010 06:51 PM

Doesnt matter, its a cat.

JROMY 01-28-2010 07:26 PM

I think the biggest variable (even beyond driver skill) is the real "wave height" the boat is running in. I always love the stories of people on here running in 8 footers....at 70mph in a 25' boat on an inland lake. There is a huge difference between ocean waves, Long Island sound waves, Lake Michigan waves, and the frequency that you encounter the crests and troughs....and then of course once everyone is out in some rough stuff, the waves always seem to grow by about 4'...
That being said, someone that knows how to run that Skater will smoke that Lavey anytime.

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 07:32 PM

People that have never run a cat shouldnt really be able to comment about their ablilities in rough water. The only vee bottoms that can really hang with a cat for the speed ride and handling are Outerlimits. Any 36 Skater owner would love to run that Lavey and put them in their place in real water, not what looked like 2-3ft waves that was on that video. Who ever said a poker run was a race and everyone has to run their boat full tilt all the time?? That 32 Skater towards the end doesnt even look like its moving therefore the water cant be that rough. He was prob just cruising. I've been in a 32 in some east coast water at 100 and we were flyin. Water was probably 4ft, but real 4ft. That was after it died down from 5-6's earlier in the day that I ran our Sutphen in from Block Island. That 32 in that video was just flying along so its hard for me to believe that it was real rough.

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JROMY (Post 3033867)
I think the biggest variable (even beyond driver skill) is the real "wave height" the boat is running in. I always love the stories of people on here running in 8 footers....at 70mph in a 25' boat on an inland lake. There is a huge difference between ocean waves, Long Island sound waves, Lake Michigan waves, and the frequency that you encounter the crests and troughs....and then of course once everyone is out in some rough stuff, the waves always seem to grow by about 4'...
That being said, someone that knows how to run that Skater will smoke that Lavey anytime.

Lets hope the guy posting the question can drive better than the guy with the 32 with twin 1100's.

Doenst look like big water to me..2-3's?

UD

HotPursuit 01-28-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3033814)
Not in that water it wont.

Thats what the owner of it told both Chris JR and Senior. Feel free to take it up wit those three- they are quite open and honest about it.

They were all the same poker run stops.

10 feet of boat length makes a huge difference in any kind of real water,as the situation demonstrates.

UD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gLuF0xM4xw

This my is my 26 yr in a 30 Shadow Cat with 700+ I will put up against that EVO in any water!!
All depends on the driving skills and his been in running cats since before he could drive cars..
Not sure what the guys running the Skaters were doing maybe cruising. :eek:
Its all good come on summer time. :drink:

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3033874)
People that have never run a cat shouldnt really be able to comment about their ablilities in rough water. The only vee bottoms that can really hang with a cat for the speed ride and handling are Outerlimits. Any 36 Skater owner would love to run that Lavey and put them in their place in real water, not what looked like 2-3ft waves that was on that video. Who ever said a poker run was a race and everyone has to run their boat full tilt all the time?? That 32 Skater towards the end doesnt even look like its moving therefor the water cant be that rough. He was prop just cruising. I've been in a 32 in some east coast water at 100 and we were flyin. Water was probably 4ft, but real 4ft. That 32 in that video was just flying along so its hard for me to believe that it was rough.

I drive cats all the time.

I currently own 2 boats a tunnel hull and a V.

UD

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 3033879)

This my is my 26 yr in a 30 Shadow Cat with 700+ I will put up against that EVO in any water!!
All depends on the driving skills and his been in running cats since before he could drive cars..

Are you really saying your 30 ft cat will run with a 40 ft v in big water?

really?

UD

KNOT-RIGHT 01-28-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 3033879)

Biotch slapping Vees!
That is why your the Senior Skater brother:drink:

Sean H 01-28-2010 07:49 PM

in race conditions, outboard cats (less than 32') outrun twin 525 vee's (38-40') on a normal basis. This is nothing new in the offshore world.

32-DD 01-28-2010 07:50 PM

I posted the question to get feedback and try to settle some local disagrements. I have had several cats over the years from 25 motions to eliminators and stepped up to a skater last year! I can tell you that I have run my 32 alot harder in a lot worse than what appers to be in that video. That 32 is setting pritty nice so I would have to agree that its not that rough? I didnt see it really catch any air!

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H (Post 3033894)
in race conditions, outboard cats (less than 32') outrun twin 525 vee's (38-40') on a normal basis. This is nothing new in the offshore world.

I love cats,

Id never spot a guy 10 feet in big water in high performance V though.

Hot pursuits video looked like it was on a lake or a river, under these conditions (as I quoted earlier) the skater would run away from that Evo (really any V) - like it were chained to a house.

However- THAT DAY- it could not.
Despite an OVERWHELMING hp advantage.

UD

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 32-DD (Post 3033895)
I posted the question to get feedback and try to settle some local disagrements. I have had several cats over the years from 25 motions to eliminators and stepped up to a skater last year! I can tell you that I have run my 32 alot harder in a lot worse than what appers to be in that video. That 32 is setting pritty nice so I would have to agree that its not that rough? I didnt see it really catch in air!

The Chris's said the guy was a cool of a dude as theyd ever met, and (why shouldnt he be he has a 32 skater with twin 1100's.)

They both told me he said he kept getting too much air when he tried to push it any harder.

Maybe we can find him, Id love to hear his take.

UD

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 08:07 PM

Bring that Lavey to the east coast to run with some Cat's and Vee's and well see how it really does. Im 20 and have been running performance boats my whole life. Heck I'd take my stock 500efi 35ft cat running at 100 and run with that lavey in some east coast water! I also remember them saying that their 39 was faster and bette than an Outerlimtis a while back. How many of these boats have they sold and running out there?? I think their 28 EVO is a sweet little ride though!

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 32-DD (Post 3033895)
I posted the question to get feedback and try to settle some local disagrements. I have had several cats over the years from 25 motions to eliminators and stepped up to a skater last year! I can tell you that I have run my 32 alot harder in a lot worse than what appers to be in that video. That 32 is setting pritty nice so I would have to agree that its not that rough? I didnt see it really catch in air!

Did TAOD paint your boat? Dont you also have matching 450 and 650?? Bad A** ride!!

sandlotsparks 01-28-2010 08:19 PM

surely no one really thinks a 39 v with 700's can run with a 36 skater with 1100's in 2-3 footers, I mean that is comical.

32-DD 01-28-2010 08:20 PM

TAOD did paint the boat and did a super job!Pictures do not do it justice with all the pearl and fades.
You are thinking about the guy I bought it from, He had his 36 skater ,my 32 skater , helicopter, F450 and 650 all painted to match by TAOD! The 36 and 32 Look like twins sitting side by side! When I picked mine up from Jonny at TNT the 36 was sitting their. Their was a picture on TAOD website of them all lined up!

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 32-DD (Post 3033949)
TAOD did paint the boat and did a super job!Pictures do not do it justice with all the pearl and fades.
You are thinking about the guy I bought it from, He had his 36 skater ,my 32 skater , helicopter, F450 and 650 all painted to match by TAOD! The 36 and 32 Look like twins sitting side by side! When I picked mine up from Jonny at TNT the 36 was sitting their. Their was a picture on TAOD website of them all lined up!

Yep, that'd be the one. I saw the 36 a while ago at TNT. Sweet graphics on your 32!! Very nice ride!! I think there's a customer with a red 44 GTX where I think you may boat??

Pro1 01-28-2010 08:29 PM

32 Skater Arnesons, 145 mph passing a Fountain race boat. This boat only has 800s, at least that was advertised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7BpABVvvBA&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JcQOoo1KVo&NR=1

Uncle Dave 01-28-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3033922)
Bring that Lavey to the east coast to run with some Cat's and Vee's and well see how it really does. Im 20 and have been running performance boats befroe I could drive as well. Heck I'd take my stock 500efi 35ft cat running at 100 and run with that lavey in some east coast water! I also remember them saying that their 39 was faster and bette than an Outerlimtis a while back. How many of these boats have they sold and running out there?? I think their 28 EVO is a sweet little ride though!

Actually I never heard them say that.
They tell me that OL's resin infusion process is awesome.

That said their 39 is nice and runs really well.

Probably one of the better 39's actually tested better than every 39 but the OL.

I dont think they've sold any of them.
I think they finished it right when everything tanked.

Theve been running it in the pacific for a year now and it holds its own pretty well, it wasnt splashed from anyone, and is an all in house design.

The 28's really cool and runs 107 with a stock ilmor 710. Its about as practical as Titz on a boar, but it is cool.

UD

OL40SVX 01-28-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pro1 (Post 3033960)
32 Skater Arnesons, 145 mph passing a Fountain race boat. This boat only has 800s, at least that was advertised.

That 32 is freakin awesome! Saw it when it was still at LCM! The one to see down there was a 32 with 1075!! Wicked fast!

lavey jr 01-28-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pro1 (Post 3033960)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JcQOoo1KVo&NR=1

Ya.....
That water is flat.

Pro1 01-28-2010 08:41 PM

I can not even imagine what that 32 with 1075s is like. Rudden has 900s and the video is 155.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPOsyqOBy0