Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Alternative to chamois for wiping dry after washing? >

Alternative to chamois for wiping dry after washing?

Notices

Alternative to chamois for wiping dry after washing?

Old 04-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the California Waterblade as well. I was skeptical at first and afraid it may scratch, but I have been using it on my Lexus IS300 for over a year with no problems.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:48 PM
kook

Thumbs up

Hey - thanks for the info. By squegee, are you guys talking about a foam or rubber material? You know the things they have at some gas stations - one side you soak in the windshield cleaner solution ( foam) and the other side is rubber that you run across the windshield to wipe the water off......... I've got one of those at home. Just making sure we're talking about the same thing........ running rubber across the surface won't remove the wax or put any scratches into the clearcoat, huh?

I've got an air compressor and a leaf blower too, so looks like I'll be doing some experimentation this weekend. Anybody need a car wash?

Old 04-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by kook

I've got an air compressor and a leaf blower too, so looks like I'll be doing some experimentation this weekend. Anybody need a car wash?
Well now that you mention it!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Originally posted by Jesse James
I use my shop vac for door jams and the motorcycle and for the boat i use a water blade (squegge) that came from bed bath and beyond for about $4 it seems to be the softest one i could find then i use the absorber and if i am drying my black diablo (not) just anything dark i will final dry with a terry cloth towel and a product like meguires quick shine something that doesnt haze and require a re-wipe. but for the most part a squege and absorber.

You got a Black Diablo and you wash it yourself.............you have to be kiddin me right..........

Come on dude.......break out the bucks and have it done right.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Charter Member #943

Cool, I guess I am not the only one who uses air. It works real well on my new Avalanche with all the composite stuff and places for water to hide. Also used it on my Suburban it was black and so is my new Avalanche there is nothing harder to keep clean and streak free.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by Baja Daze
On the Bay,
Funny you mention that...I do the leafblower thing, too...I figure if it works for the big commercial carwash places, it should be fine at home too. Just watch out for flying dust and sand particles!

It does, and saves lots of time on drying and I hate wringing those dam chamois or cloth drying rags.... Glad to see I am not alone.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by MegaByte*3
I let the servants dry it off.
Better yet, but since I did not win the $325M this week guess the blower wins....
Old 04-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Registered

Default AIR

Use air to get the majority of water off first.

Then absorber, chamois, or 100% cotton towel. You always chance scratching whenever wiping anything accross the finish. That means squeegee, chamois, absorber, etc.

This is the only way to prolong the fine scratches on an automotive finish you will inevitably end up with sooner or later.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Onthebay!
Yep, it was a revelation when I stumbled upon the idea!
In Florida, washing a black vehicle is probably one of the most difficult things, barely accomplishable! LOL!

It can get so friggin hot, that you literally have like one minute before it's too late and all streaky. Out with the chamois, in with the air!
Old 04-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by skatermike24
Leaf blowers are great! I use it more on my cars and boats then the lawn!
I use the air compressor for the boat when in the water because with my luck I would drop the leaf blower in the water. I use the leaf blower when on the trailer in the yard and I use it more on the toys then I do the yard.

Quick Reply: Alternative to chamois for wiping dry after washing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.