Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dry Sump 6 drive Torco or Amsoil gear oil? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/224699-dry-sump-6-drive-torco-amsoil-gear-oil.html)

SFOcean 02-18-2010 02:26 PM

Thanks Pat, I will look into the Bel-Ray. Good to know I could run Torco MTF also. Bel-Ray seems to be available in quarts only, a bit expensive for an 18 quart oil change!

Bel-Ray Gear Saver
Hypoid Gear Oil
SAE Grades: 80W-90, 85W-140

Brad Zastrow 02-18-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by skater40 (Post 3048908)
Bob is telling you straight about amsoil.Vern Gilbert tore Bobs race drives apart since it had been on the 36 skater for 2 years with only amsoil in them.Vern told me he was shocked to see how good every thing looked.
I run amsoil in all my #6 drives.

I do not doubt Amsoil as a quality product, but I have to wonder how much wear did they expect to see with only 525's on Number Sixes? I would expect them to look new.

HotPursuit 02-18-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by skaterdave (Post 3049329)
other than having someone look at your gears, have you guys ever done or looked for tests other than Amsoil's touted ball bearing test.

i'm not anti-sythetic, just that sometimes just because it costs twice as much doesn't mean it's twice as good.

i use synthetics in some situations where i have seen a difference, just can't justify the costs in some uses if there isn't proof its that much better?

I don't go by manufactures test,, real life real broken gears and burnt up bearings. In the #3s with 1100+ I was going through gears in under 20 hrs.I also believe in OEM recommended parts and lube,but they weren't paying for the repairs and yes I know they were not made to handle that rated HP. 6s are only rated for 1200 and look what we run through them.
After installing 4-5 different gear lubes I tried amsoil and never looked back started breaking prop shafts.Solved that problem by making large shafts for the 3s and 4s. Then we would inspect after 100hrs with perfect gears and bearings.The drives also ran 40-50* cooler with amsoil. Im running Torco in one drive and amsoil in the other and will let Randy with Marine Drives make the decision which works the best.
The #3 drives have sold on this site at least three times and have only had a gear ratio change and the owner sold the 1-1 ratio upper gears that were removed. We shall see.
MY vette and Mercedes came from the factory with synthetics installed,,just saying. :drink:

HotPursuit 02-18-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by shifter (Post 3049171)
We recommended Torco MTF to Merc for use on our drysump drives.

I have never tested amsoil for foaming (not good in a drysump drive) aereated oil is not good for lubrification. We only ran the torco on the dyno and in the raceboats. We run a drysump tank so it is easy to check the oil to see how it is doing.

A good rule of thumb is, synthetics are twice the cost half as good. We have had a lot of trouble with synthetic oils. They break apart from the base oil and the addatives leaving a chewing gum like muck behind to clog our pick up screen and spraybars.

With high hp not just 525's you might want to run a little heavier mineral oil. Breaking in the drives is a good idea also. Do not just go out there and leave it at part throttle or full throttle give it a break once and a while to cool down and burnish the gears in a little. Full throttle / cut throttle / full throttle etc.... 15 minutes.

pat W

Thought you was out of the dry sump business??

skater40 02-18-2010 07:04 PM

He is.:kiss:

HotPursuit 02-18-2010 07:08 PM

That's a shame what a great talent!! My boat had his drives in it and Tony needed them to make the race season.
:lolhit:

shifter 02-18-2010 07:38 PM

I still take care of my customers...right Gary and Tony.....

I do not work on 6's anymore. I pushed that part of the shop to Vern in Havasu. We still machine housings and stock our drysump parts for our customers.

I like the lighter wt oils for less power. Mobil 1 works just fine in drives cheap and available and we run straight penzoil 30 engine oil in our transmissions.

We raced the mtf because it was a gl6 oil. Our drysumps ran 140 deg max on a 100 deg day. When we checked the wet merc it was 330 deg on the top of the housing.

pat W

07DominatorSS 02-18-2010 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=HotPursuit;3049812]I don't go by manufactures test,, real life real broken gears and burnt up bearings. In the #3s with 1100+ I was going through gears in under 20 hrs.I also believe in OEM recommended parts and lube,but they weren't paying for the repairs and yes I know they were not made to handle that rated HP. 6s are only rated for 1200 and look what we run through them.
After installing 4-5 different gear lubes I tried amsoil and never looked back started breaking prop shafts.Solved that problem by making large shafts for the 3s and 4s. Then we would inspect after 100hrs with perfect gears and bearings.The drives also ran 40-50* cooler with amsoil. Im running Torco in one drive and amsoil in the other and will let Randy with Marine Drives make the decision which works the best.
The #3 drives have sold on this site at least three times and have only had a gear ratio change and the owner sold the 1-1 ratio upper gears that were removed. We shall see.
MY vette and Mercedes came from the factory with synthetics installed,,just saying. :drink:[/QUOT

All I know is that there is a reason all Corvettes, Vipers, Cadillacs, Secret Service Vehicles, War Equipment and Commercial Aircraft have Synthetics ONLY in them! There also only used to be AM radio, but now look, much improved better products out there! Technology is amazing!

HotPursuit 02-18-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by shifter (Post 3049869)
I still take care of my customers...right Gary and Tony.....

We raced the mtf because it was a gl6 oil. Our drysumps ran 140 deg max on a 100 deg day. When we checked the wet merc it was 330 deg on the top of the housing.

pat W

Agree the wet sumps ran much hotter than the dry sumps.My wet sumps use to smoke after a hard run!!
I need to check the temp difference this year between torco and amsoils mcf!! Thanks for the replies.

HotPursuit 02-18-2010 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=07DominatorSS;3049965]

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 3049812)
I don't go by manufactures test,, real life real broken gears and burnt up bearings. In the #3s with 1100+ I was going through gears in under 20 hrs.I also believe in OEM recommended parts and lube,but they weren't paying for the repairs and yes I know they were not made to handle that rated HP. 6s are only rated for 1200 and look what we run through them.
MY vette and Mercedes came from the factory with synthetics installed,,just saying. :drink:[/QUOT

All I know is that there is a reason all Corvettes, Vipers, Cadillacs, Secret Service Vehicles, War Equipment and Commercial Aircraft have Synthetics ONLY in them! There also only used to be AM radio, but now look, much improved better products out there! Technology is amazing!

:ernaehrung004: