Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hey Dean...Here's a refreshing perspective... >

Hey Dean...Here's a refreshing perspective...

Notices

Hey Dean...Here's a refreshing perspective...

Old 04-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Hey Dean...Here's a refreshing perspective...

Manatees, One Last Time
-Rick Eyerdam

"For those of you beyond our borders and unaware, the Florida legislature ought to be recognized as is a classic example of what happens when semi-competent middle managers rise far beyond their ability to function. Today Florida is led by the President's little brother and, in the legislature, by even smaller presiding officers, all from the same party. It doesn't matter what party.

The point is that with everybody in charge supposedly on the same team, there ought to be a consensus about what to do and how to get it done. Not!

By now they might be done legislating. But when Florida's legislature adjourned at the end of March it had failed to do anything it was hired to do, which is to pass a budget. It could not muster the courage to defeat a plan to increase taxes on goods and services, including many areas of the marine industry. So it passed the buck to the voters in a planned November referendum. Vote No...."

More...

Old 04-18-2002, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

BD,
That is interesting! And that is where we make our voice and vote count! Remember, the STM club will never stop until all POWERBOATS are off the Fl. Waterways.
Another thing I find disappointing is with all the Fl. POWERBOAT manufacturers/dealers that hang out on this BB, they NEVER, I repeat NEVER, chime in on this subject? It seems that they don't care, or they think that their businesses won't be affected? If I owned a marine realted business in Fl. I would be involved in this issue EVEN more that I am now! I don't get it?
MD
Old 04-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks BajaDaze, that's a good one.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

You got it, Iggy! Always on the lookout!

Dean, you're right...They don't have a whole lot to say do they. Not only is this kind of thing vital for their bottom line, but what about testing grounds and customer potential? Hmmm...

Relating back to the article you posted in the thread "Who get's them and who doesn't"(something like that) They figure they'll just permit themselves out of the loop. $$$
Old 04-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ahhh, BD,
That's what I thought too, but in talking to a friend that owns a marina here in Brevard, getting these permits/waivers is not that easy! My friends @ Marine Performance in Port Orange are really concerned about what they want to do to the Halifax River there! It could have a big IMPACT on their ability to get thier boats out to the Atlantic to test. Could you imagine idleing for 1-2 hrs with 900SC's?! NOT!!
MD
Old 04-18-2002, 04:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Too Old,
Thanks for the support Fred. I know NMMA is getting involved with their lobbists in Tallahassee, and SeaRay joined our lawsuit, ONLY after SeaRay was told that the STM club is challenging their Barge Canal Waiver to test thier boats!
We were actually in the process of of making arrangements to go up to NC and check out this BEAUTIFUL 2000 388 Slingshot and BAM this happens. We decided to call it off, and I called the the seller back and explained what had happened and he understood and said that there was NO way he would want to idle 9 miles either, regardless if it had HP500 EFI's! Maybe that the reason I'm more "Bowed Up" than normal about this Manatee **** today!
MD
Old 04-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All Bull****!

...Wouldn't want to break-in a new motor that way either as prolonged idle is explicitely not advised!