Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600 >

Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600

Notices

Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600

Old 04-21-2002, 10:26 PM
kook

Originally posted by glassdave
oh an one other thing, somebody mentioned in this thread about sewing on straps to the vests, just a word of caution nylon webbing requires a special type of stiching and thread. i cant remember what it is called but i would have it done at a canvas shop or somthing.
You can use a variety of things. I'll use some Gore-Tex expanded Teflon sewing thread from work - one of our plants nearby make the stuff (and Glide floss as well).

Old 04-22-2002, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I would check with the Coast Guard first. I believe if you modify it in any way, you void the Coast Guard certification and it's then good for nothing.

Think about it, why would the Coast Guard ceritfy something and then not care if somebody changed it afterward.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:28 AM
kook

Originally posted by NW_Jim
Again, I would check with the Coast Guard first. I believe if you modify it in any way, you void the Coast Guard certification and it's then good for nothing.

Think about it, why would the Coast Guard ceritfy something and then not care if somebody changed it afterward.
OK, then why would the coast guard "OK" the Poker Run vests if they are not USCG certified? Also, how they gonna even KNOW that you modified it, unless you did a piss-poor job?

Old 04-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

Why would the CG OK something they would not certify? This does not make sense. I would not wear anything that the CG would not certify.

You can do what you want, I just don't screw around with stuff intended to save my life. If I were to need a lifeline jacket, I'd buy, not try to make my own.

Just my .02 Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, just arouse some common sense.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:33 AM
kook

Originally posted by NW_Jim
. I would not wear anything that the CG would not certify.

So then you are saying that you would not wear the poker run vest?????

Old 04-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

No, I would not.

If I had a passenger wearing a PFD that was not approved by the CG, and he was thrown from the boat and died, the insurance company would do a complete investigation and if they found that the PFD's that I am required by law to provide to my passengers was not CG approved as required by the law, guess who would be left open to a huge lawsuit without any support from my insurance company.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:02 PM
HavasuCat

As far as I know the Lifelines are not CG approved because of the cost involved in the process. I own two Lifelines are they are second to none. They are used by many racers in all types of boats from offshore to drags. They have colars that will turn you face up, leg straps, and are made of a heavy duty material that will take an impact and not come apart.

Old 04-22-2002, 01:43 PM
KN
Registered

NW_Jim you brought up a good point about liability. The thing that is ironic is if you had either The LifeLine Offshore Jacket, or the LifeLine Poker Run Jacket would you still be liable, god forbid anything ever happend. They are not Coast Guard approved, is this correct? And even though, I'm sure they easily surepass the requirements of a type III vest, If these are what you have in your boat and the Coast Guard stops you, they could give you a fine.

HavasuCat do you know if the Poker Run Vest will turn you face up, the collar doesn't seem vert tall, compared the the Offshore Jackets.

It's to bad that it's so expensive for a manufacturer to get their life vest certified. If that is the case. I wonder what the cost and process is?

Kirk
Old 04-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Registered

OK, I checked with my insurance agent and she told me this;

In Washington State there is no mandatory requirement to wear a PFD if you are over 12. The only requirement is that you must have a Type I, II, or III CG approved flotation device for every person on the boat.

If the person was thrown out of the boat and died, it would not make a difference what they were wearing since you are not required to wear anything.

If your state has a mandatory PFD law, this would be entirely different.

As far as modifications, I would still avoid it.
The forces of the water are far too high to be guessing on strength without any research and development.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:52 PM
HavasuCat

I am not sure about the poker run vest rolling you over (my guess would be that they would), I would call Lifeline. I have only seen photo's of the poker run vest and mine appear to be thicker and they have more straps across the torso section. I was told that if you are stopped technically you could be given a ticket if you don't have other vest than the Lifelines on board because they are not CG approved. I have been stopped at Havasu and they did not have a problem with the Lifelines.