Insurance payment on refloat/slavage

Notices

Insurance payment on refloat/slavage

Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Insurance payment on refloat/slavage

A good friend of mine has(d) a 24' SeaRay BR. Over the weekend we had monsoon rains. The cover pooled up with water and then split. It dumped a tremendous amount of water into the boat all at once. The bilge pump outlet is only about 6" above the waterline at the stern. It was determined that the weight of the water overcame the pumps and sunk it at the dock.

BoatUS came and refloated and towed to a safe area. Bill was about $3k all in. They took the Insurance claim # and left.

Now, the Insurance company(Allstate) is stating they will only pay $500 of the $3k and deduct the rest from the payout. If he'd known that he said he would've left it sunk and they could have arranged the job.

Does that sound right on the payment? I have had my problems with INS co's and their BS policies before(do a search here) and think they are trying screw him.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Sounds like BS to me too. 3k does not seem out line for what they did.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
A good friend of mine has(d) a 24' SeaRay BR. Over the weekend we had monsoon rains. The cover pooled up with water and then split. It dumped a tremendous amount of water into the boat all at once. The bilge pump outlet is only about 6" above the waterline at the stern. It was determined that the weight of the water overcame the pumps and sunk it at the dock.

BoatUS came and refloated and towed to a safe area. Bill was about $3k all in. They took the Insurance claim # and left.

Now, the Insurance company(Allstate) is stating they will only pay $500 of the $3k and deduct the rest from the payout. If he'd known that he said he would've left it sunk and they could have arranged the job.

Does that sound right on the payment? I have had my problems with INS co's and their BS policies before(do a search here) and think they are trying screw him.
From my understanding, the way those salvage deals work is they shoot for the moon on the original quote, becuase they are almost always negotiated way down. If the insurance company says $500, try and have them help negotiate this as a final settlement for both with boat us, if that doesnt work, have your friend start negotiating on the rest asap. My captian used to do this kind of work in miami, so I will ask his advice as well and see what he says tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks for checking into this for me.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time call the ins. co. before doing anything, and leave the POS at the bottom of the dock... It seems to me that they have little interest in actually preserving any of these boats....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
....... and leave the POS at the bottom of the dock... ....
I don't think that is a possibilty. When boats go down in our marina, they have to be refloated asap to keep the oil/fuel, battery acids and the rest from leaking out. The EPA would have a feast.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I don't think that is a possibilty. When boats go down in our marina, they have to be refloated asap to keep the oil/fuel, battery acids and the rest from leaking out. The EPA would have a feast.
I don't mean for weeks (or even days), I just mean call the ins. co. before doing anything. Then they'll be forced to agree to it or send out their own guys.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Several yrs ago I hit a under water reef on Erie and lost a drive. Had to call BoatUS (or whatever the tow service is there) for a tow back to Put In Bay where we were staying. Since the driver could not boat up next to us do to teh shallow water and underwater reefs, he actually dropped anchor and waded over to us with a tow rope (and paper work) and towed us back. Do to him physically getting out of his boat, it classified the service as a salvage operation, not a simple tow service. Difference was a good $2000. Talk about feeling your guts drop to the floor when handed a bill. I about chit. We had Allstate at the time. As it turned out, do to the 'salvage' classification, Ins. paid the tow bill 100%. If it would have been a simple tow bill classification, I think the amount Ins would have paid out was under $100???. And to think, I considered pushing my boat out to deeper water to make the bill cheaper, or so I thought. I believe we talked with an Allstate office based out of Chicago or near Lake Michigan, at the recommendation of BoatUS since that agency deals with this type of claim, vs your regular home/auto agency that normally doesn't work with claims.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered
VIP Member

We had issues this weekend also,
Sea Tow wanted 250$ and 15$ per for the first hour. then 250$ for each hour after that. these guys from Pink Marine Contractors were in the area and did it for free.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered
VIP Member

info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tow.pdf (79.6 KB, 152 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.