Like Tree0Likes

The 39 Rockit with 725 Ilmors and Indy drives hit 115 mph

Reply
Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 AM
  #31
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fairport,NY
My Boats: 1998 Hustler Slingshot
Posts: 747
Default

Am I the only one that thinks it's insane to expect ANY performance boat Manufacturer to reveal how many boats they built/sold? To get the ball rolling, maybe Jupiter could post the numbers from Sunsation by boat model?? Seriously,based on the posts Jupiter has made on the Hustler forum,it's obvious to me that we have a Sunsation owner with a serious case of "Hustler Envy!" Lol!
Lmarth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM
  #32
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Casa De Kappy
My Boats: Doug Wright X-Cat, Howard
Posts: 349
Default

Comment:

I do not think the number of boats built has anything to do with quality or performance.

If you dispute this please see Mystic powerboats I doubt they have sold a ton of boats but they build some of the best and fastest running boats I have ever witnessed running on water.

Second, the less boats you build the more exotic I think the product is for the performance boater. I really think Hustler hit it out of the park with the 39 Rockit ie...home run type of model.

I do agree with posting a GPS photo of the speedo. Look if you have the time and money to shoot a video the final closing shot should be the GPS recall feature.

If you don't then just post a video with no reference to the speed obtained---why because you lose all credibility when you fail to video the speedo somewhere in the video.

I recall the Red Rockit had a photo of the screen GPS and that is the model which should be followed rather than sales pitch and rehetoric.

KAP

P.S. Tip why not video the GPS top speed and then followed by the footage of the boat running it really would make more believers than this footage.
kap328 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
  #33
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Casa De Kappy
My Boats: Doug Wright X-Cat, Howard
Posts: 349
Default

Additional Commentary:

As for the advertising campaign regarding smokin Cigarettes and that type of ad.

I found it to be distasteful to bash another manufacturer especially one that has earned their place in all areas of performance boating. Rather it is far better to tout what attributes the Hustler excel's in and performance features which are beyond normal expectations for the performance boater.

I am not in the advertising business but a consumer and targeted potential buyer---hence the feedback.

KAP
P.S. I'm sure Cigarette likes the free advertising and mention of their product collaterally in a rivals ads.
kap328 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 PM
  #34
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: PA USA
My Boats: Fast Boats , Fast Cars
Posts: 1,417
Default

Cspray I did not know that the Ilmore made that type of torque, which is very good. They need to state this on there web site. Thanks for the good information
baja27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:59 PM
  #35
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarth View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it's insane to expect ANY performance boat Manufacturer to reveal how many boats they built/sold? To get the ball rolling, maybe Jupiter could post the numbers from Sunsation by boat model?? Seriously,based on the posts Jupiter has made on the Hustler forum,it's obvious to me that we have a Sunsation owner with a serious case of "Hustler Envy!" Lol!

Actually he has NorTech envy...
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
  #36
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
C_Spray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Coastal North Carolina
My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
Posts: 4,789
Default

The spec's on the Gen IV Ilmor engines are here:
http://www.ilmor.com/marine/gen-IV.html


They state peak torque for the 725 as 649 @ 5,400 (which is 667.5 hp), and 725 hp @ 6,300 (which is 604 ft-lb).

Customryder: Here are the equations:

Hp = Torque x RPM / 5250
Torque = Hp x 5250 / Torque

Any time you apply a gear reduction (outdrive) to an engine, you increase the torque in proportion to the decrease in RPM. Because the Ilmor revs higher than the Mercury, the Imor can run a higher gear reduction to get the same prop RPM.

Ilmor @6,300/1.5 ratio = 4,200 rpm
Ilmor engine torque at 6300 = (725 x 5250)/6300 = 604
Ilmor prop torque at 6,300: 604 x 1.5 ratio = 906 ft-lb

From Mercury's web site: http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...0sci/specs.php
Mercury @5200/1.24 ratio = 4,194 rpm (basically the same prop speed)
Mercury engine torque at 5200 = (700 x 5250)/5200 = 707
Mercury prop torque at 5200: 707 x 1.24 ratio = 877 ft-lb

That's the beauty of gear reduction options.

In the end, 725 hp is always more than 700 hp.

Disclaimer:
None of this takes into account parasitic losses through the transmission and drive. If it did, the Ilmor would look even better.
__________________
Retired! Boating full-time now.
C_Spray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 PM
  #37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
The spec's on the Gen IV Ilmor engines are here:
http://www.ilmor.com/marine/gen-IV.html


They state peak torque for the 725 as 649 @ 5,400 (which is 667.5 hp), and 725 hp @ 6,300 (which is 604 ft-lb).

Customryder: Here are the equations:

Hp = Torque x RPM / 5250
Torque = Hp x 5250 / Torque

Any time you apply a gear reduction (outdrive) to an engine, you increase the torque in proportion to the decrease in RPM. Because the Ilmor revs higher than the Mercury, the Imor can run a higher gear reduction to get the same prop RPM.

Ilmor @6,300/1.5 ratio = 4,200 rpm
Ilmor engine torque at 6300 = (725 x 5250)/6300 = 604
Ilmor prop torque at 6,300: 604 x 1.5 ratio = 906 ft-lb

From Mercury's web site: http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...0sci/specs.php
Mercury @5200/1.24 ratio = 4,194 rpm (basically the same prop speed)
Mercury engine torque at 5200 = (700 x 5250)/5200 = 707
Mercury prop torque at 5200: 707 x 1.24 ratio = 877 ft-lb

That's the beauty of gear reduction options.

In the end, 725 hp is always more than 700 hp.

Disclaimer:
None of this takes into account parasitic losses through the transmission and drive. If it did, the Ilmor would look even better.

Good info, explain from people that I have spoken with is that the Ilmors produce their power on the top end of the rpms which means you are always pushing the motor..and midrange would also be better on the Merc due to the SC.. Im not debating just asking questions so I can learn which way to go on my next boat.. Thanks Jeff
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:17 PM
  #38
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............
Posts: 4,094
Default

The other advantage I see from Ilmor vs. Merc. 700 is no supercharger. I will take n/a power over supercharged power any day for reliability factors.
Tom A. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:32 PM
  #39
Lip-Ship- Grafikworx Glad
Platinum Member
 
pm203's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: MA and NH
Posts: 3,615
Default

Maybe so, but I like the Mercs much better for resale value.
pm203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 PM
  #40
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Maybe so, but I like the Mercs much better for resale value.
We've been around for less than a decade. Look what we've done so far.
ILMORdude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.