Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat ='s what percentage of annual income? >

Boat ='s what percentage of annual income?

Notices

Boat ='s what percentage of annual income?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
Hardly, (at least in this arena)....

up to 50k is low
50-150k is middle
150-300k is upper
300-500k is starting to live
500k+ now your talking-however now taxes and write-offs are an issue!

Also, you would be very surprised at how some at the 300-1mil. level will squander; probably pretty smart financially-not always the case. trust me....

I agree, in my area $400K buys you a nice 4 bdr house, (used to be 500K) so your not paying for that on a 50K income. to me it's all about priorites, i love boating but saving for retirement, living in a nice home with nice furniture and staying out of debt all take priority in my life, I wish I could live for today but that's not my style.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
About 30% of my current income (est gas, insurance, break downs, etc). But I wouldn't trade it in a heart beat. Throw in the truck that I have to own just to tow it and its about 36%. Financed it on 5 years though to get it paid off fast. An average month in gas for me is around 500 if I don't run any poker runs. Throw in a poker run and you can add another 2-300 per run on to that easy.

dude, that is not a sustainable financial plan, do you have a mortgage or rent to pay or do you live on the Sonic?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Registered

Default enjoy today

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I guess I did it different to most of you. Gross income around $200k, but went and bought an older boat for under $25k with the plan of spending at least $10 - $15k on it and probably never seeing the money back. But its only $10 - $15k...

No doubt I'll probably move on and into a $60 - $80k boat at some stage. But not until I decide to spend that and pay mostly (if not all) cash.

My point is, its really about cashflow, and the gaurantee of that. What you make now may not be what you make next year or in five years from now.

I've been quite wealthy, and also flat broke. Now I'm comfortable again. All in the last 15 years.

If you're the type to make above average income, chances are you see the world a bit different to the average guy. Most higher income earners are go for it types, and gamble a bit more than the average wage earner.

I have a lot of toys, race cars, Ducati's, Harleys, etc, but all paid for in full. The lesson I learned was to have as much fun as possible, but still be prepared to cash out and take a loss if you need to, in order to raise imeadiate cash if needed.

You can sit on your azz and do nothing and live in the safety zone like most people, or you can go for it and be one of the few who actually enjoy the hell out of life.

As long as you're willing to pay the price for that by cashing out at potentially the wrong time if you need greenbacks on short notice, I say go for it.

You only live once. Enjoy it. Or risk looking back and saying "Man, I wish I would have done that..."

I personally refuse to let the fear of the future change how I live today. Just be prepared that that choice can cost you some cash if you need to sell out quick for any reason.

Its only money. If you lose some, go make some more.
you only live once, if you wait for tommorrow , tommorrow may not come. then it was all useless!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by horsplay
you only live once, if you wait for tommorrow , tommorrow may not come. then it was all useless!
true, I guess i feel like I'm living just not spending every dime I make. nothing worse than seeing an 80 yr old working at walmart.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Live for today!!!!! Get the boat! You may be dead soon.
Dayum, there are just too many great posts in this thread to quote. But Nort pretty much summed it up in one sentence.

I make a fraction of what the original poster makes, but I've been saving ever since my mom talked me into putting my paper route money into a savings account. Been hooked on savings ever since. Probably why my buddy BillR calls me Macinstien.

I'm ate up with this addiction. Been around boats since I was 2 years old. This is my tenth. Buy em, maintain the hell out of em and use the equity to pay on the next one.

It's an escape from reality that is priceless!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pete280
true, I guess i feel like I'm living just not spending every dime I make. nothing worse than seeing an 80 yr old working at walmart.
I agree, but only to a certain point. If some of us end up making it all the way to 80, and that was the worst case scenario, then I for one would be there with a smile on my face. Being able to look back and believe you actually lived your life is something many seem to forget in the capatalistic race many are in with their neighbors.

Are we all really going to want fast boats and motorcycles when we're 80, if we make it that far? I'd presume not.

So I think many of us make the correct choice in choosing to have our toys now, even if it isn't the 'smart' thing to do. No point having a bucket full of money at 80 if you can't use it - because you're 80 years old.

Besides, I'd like to think many people who are smart enough to figure out how to make above average income are smart enough to not end up at Walmart. They'll figure out another way of making money, even if they are 80

Just my twisted view of the world Different strokes for different folks. I'll let you know if I was right or wrong when I'm 80
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe a finacial guy on here could tell us what the low to high income numbers would be. Dave P are you out there.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by richanton
Life is too short to not own a performance boat.
Brilliant!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

This has turned into a great thread. Very interesting to see different opinions about disposable income and it's uses. I find myself jumping from the save, save, save side of the fence to the live for the now side daily, if not hourly. Damn this addiction!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I'll let you know if I was right or wrong when I'm 80
I don't think I'll make it that far, so I'll have fun, teach my daughter well and leave her with some assets. when I kack she knows to cremate me and to remember I did it my way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.