Notices

dumb question??

Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question??

I live on the coast and cruise alot of the back bays, last summer had trouble fighting sand . Impacted the cooling system on both motors more than once. I've owned several boats (all with alphas) so this is my first bravo. Owner before me did the same and ruined many days of fun.
My question is: motors are out , and I am changing to transom exhaust only . I have made 3/8" stainless block off plates and would like to drill and tap them for a thru fitting . And use it as a higher water pick up , so that I can switch to it while at Idle only and have a fear of the sand and shallow water. I would also put a three way valve in. Problem is a local boat mechanic told me it would not work , it would never get enough water. Maybe i didn't tell him I only wanted it at idle speed. I looked at the gimbals real good since they are out right now ,and i see no reason why it would not work ,especially if i take the exhaust boot out.
Again , please excuse my ignorance. but i really don't want to just go to a high water pick up only and drill another hole in the fiberglass.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Registered

Why not just put in a strainer.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Registered

I am adding strainers as well. But been told to not have much faith in them stopping the sand problem.
If it were that simple I would have asked a similar question about strainers.....
Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Registered

Am I the only one that has thought of this?
I guess the worst that could happen is I try it . It does not work , and i just plug back off.....
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Just put in thru-hull pick-ups with strainers.The bravo water pick-up is halfazz at best.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I beleive CP Performance/Hardin marine makes a strainer for sand, check their website. Steve