Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dyno and pics of a SLIGHTLY modified 502 Mag MPI (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/229527-dyno-pics-slightly-modified-502-mag-mpi.html)

Young Performance 05-02-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3100211)
Drum roll please, How much $?

I will send you a pm. I don't like to advertise what my customers spend. If they want to post it then I am OK with it. It's just not my call. Their wives might be reading:lolhit:

Uncle Dave 05-02-2010 12:05 PM

It is a good jump in power regardless of whats being driven.

Tidy packaging and clean presentation Eddy.

Clean and reliable no air pushing BS to deal with probably gets super mileage as well.

Question though, Im rebuilding my 406 and decided to stay demon carb vs pay for injection -with a wet exhaust where do you put the o2 sensor so the injection can compensate for altitude?

Nice thanks for sharing.

Uncle Dave

Young Performance 05-02-2010 12:18 PM

Thanks Uncle D.
I install the O2 sensor in the collector or riser just after the 4 pipes come together. The Mefi does not run in closed loop, so the O2 is just for my personal use in tuning. It does have an altitude compensation but must be manually completed. I have it good up to about 5000 ft. Any more and I would have to go there and do the tuning personally.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words.
Eddie

Young Performance 05-02-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by sonicss42 (Post 3100161)
Sounds like something I'd like to do. How about reliability and hours before refresh is needed?

It is no less reliable than the 502 Mag. However, it won't have the longevity that the 502 has. I recommend a rebuild at 400 hours. You could go longer, but the odds of having to bore it bigger are pretty good. Most of the time if they are done at 350-400, then they will go back at the same bore. Like I said, if you wait longer, the rebuild will cost a little more.
I do a VERY thorough rebuild, so you end up with essentially a new engine when it's done. Thanks
Eddie

boatfreak 05-02-2010 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3100280)
I am using city water to cool the engine, so the pump will suck more than the city water lines can supply and end up collapsing the hose. Ask me how I know!!

Ok How do you know?:evilb:

Young Performance 05-03-2010 12:26 AM

Well, just like most things I had to learn the hard way. It's either the hard way or no way.:grinser010:
Tried to do it and sucked the hose closed, burned up the impeller, overheated the engine, had to clean out all the pieces of burned rubber, etc., etc., etc.
You had to ask huh Mike??? Don't you have something to plant, or pick, or milk???:evilb:
Eddie

BenPerfected 05-03-2010 09:09 AM

Very nice results and excellent rigging. What type and brand lifters did you use?

Young Performance 05-03-2010 12:29 PM

Thanks Ben. I use Morels, Morels, or Morels. If I can't find them then I use Morels.:lolhit:
I have used others with success but I really like the Morels on the bigger hp engines. I haven't had any problems with them so I am going to stick with them.
Eddie

BenPerfected 05-03-2010 12:54 PM

Solids or hydraulic?

Smitty 05-03-2010 12:56 PM

I'm sure it is a hydraulic roller.