Notices

new member need advice

Old 05-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera24
Older is fine as long as hull is solid but remember fuel will only go up...especially now. So again twins may not be the best choice but ultimately it depends on what you want.
Haha! Anybody with a offshore powerboat knows the fuel cost. I know what you are talking about!!! I like the people that drive hybrid cars because it will be more fuel for us haha! I have always wanted a offshore boat with twin 454's. My bank will easily approve me for a 60k boat but I know the cost and only want to spend around 30k so I have the money to maintain, upgrade and use it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Older Wellcrafts have stringer and transom issues due to water seeping into the coring. They did not seal limber holes in many cases and that allowed water to wick up into the coring. It can also happen on the Cig, but I have heard of fewer examples. A good surveyor will know to check for this, possibly even drilling a few small check holes near the limber holes and other stringer cut outs .
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

My hustler? right in your price range Its newer has bravos runs 80's on a trailer custome paint 32'
-Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With an older boat in that price range, don't expect to be a happy boater until you dissemble/inspect/replace all drivetrain steering controls instrumentation etc. Not trying to discourage you, but it will be impossible to do an "on the fly" restoration.

I've owned my boat for exactly a year, it's yet to see the water, but I love every minute of it.

The Cigarette has impeccable wiring and rigging originally. Most of the work I need to redo is work that was done AFTER it left the factory. Everything in the Cig is also very accessible and easy to work on.

Here is what I found:

Last edited by bustedbrick; 09-13-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=5073

get that
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for 60k
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I also agree with the smaller newer idea. The older boats were built strong, but the materials have come a long way since then and are better and lighter. An older boat will take a lot more power and fuel to achieve the same speeds. The 330 Checkmate just listed in the classifieds looks like it could be a great deal.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Registered

I had a 1987 Scarab Panther, It was my first boat. It was a great all-around boat, but like some have said, it was not overly-fast (low-mid 60s) and needed a LOT of work. I spent a TON of money on that thing and every time I did something, something else would break. Rebuild the motors 2 years after I bought it, interior was re-done, new bolsters, repaint cockpit and dash. all new gauges. Had it for 7 years and finally gave up and sold it to buy newer, didn't go smaller though. I will never own anything smaller than a 29. Love the newer one! alot less headache and work! take it for what it's worth, I had plans to redo my scarab and make it what I wanted, just never happened. Never got all the money that I had in it out of it either (although I never thought I would).

Good luck with your decision
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

I would find one that someone already dumped a ton of money into, they are probably selling it for less than half what they have into it
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Yea Pete sounds like me.....
-Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.