Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure >

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Notices

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a screencap from SPOT. Looks like they made it to the dock about 8 pm.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dunah...dunah....dunah...dunah......
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

That is awesome they had calm enough seas to make it all the way to Exuma on the first leg.

That monster eats props like no other...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ok, Bob just called... they ran 66 all the way to Bimini. He said it was like glass and they were averaging about 62 out of Bimini until the prop let go.

He was the one in the water and said the shark was about 10 feet. (big enough in my book!)

It was getting dark by the time they got tied up so they are planning to change the prop first thing in the morning, top off the power steering fluid and hopefully be on their way to the Turks and Caicos by 9:30 am. The wind is supposed to pick up on Monday, so the plan is to leave the boat (Georgetown?) and come fly back.

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayboat

He was the one in the water and said the shark was about 10 feet. (big enough in my book!)

That's why I stick 2 the bluegills in Lake Michigan!!!!! B safe out there Bob!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Just got a call from Bob with an update. Not great news.

They were unable to get the prop changed- the replacement wouldn't go onto the shaft.

And the power steering problem is more serious than fluid- as they still don't have it after reloading the reservoir. (Bob suspects a broken or leaking hose.)

So they are currently idling at 10mph on a 40 mile journey back to Nassau where there is a travel lift and, hopefully a solution to their problems. I guess the good news is the ocean is still dead flat. I couldn't get excited at the prospect of idling forty miles through 2-3 footers.

He is hopeful they can get things sorted out and if so, they will try to get to Georgetown tomorrow.

He plans to post an update this evening.

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

OK. We are back in Nassau for repairs. Our day on the water yesterday, at least up until we broke the prop had to be one of my best days ever. Had that not happened we would have made Georgetown by 8 PM last night and likely be pulling into T & C about now. But that is boating, it has happened before and I am sure it will happen again. We were able to get the broken prop off without too much trouble this morning but the spare would just not go on. Same as the night before our run to Cancun when we had to have another prop flown in. Tomorrow we will hopefully get it into a travel lift and pound on it till it fits !! In addition we still have an issue with steering. There is absolutely NONE ! We idled 4 hrs today from Highborne Cay Marina where we stayed last night on the boat back to Nassau where there is some hope of getting it fixed. We came back 40 miles steering the boat using every possible means to keep the boat on track - tabs, throttles, transmissions, and bow thrusters to steer!
Anyway we are here now and looking forward to dinner at NOBU's at Atlantis tonight. Hans is going to make me like sushi he says.
We will see what tomorrow brings as far as boat repairs and if we attempt to head down to Georgetown tomorrow afternoon. I hear the weather is changing tomorrow so that needs checking.
I went thru thru the thread to see who guessed closest to our arrival time at Hurricane Hole Marina yesterday. Unless I am wrong it appears to be my hometown friend back in Ontario, 1bagger. Paul's guess was 4 PM and the SPOT message that went to my cell phone said 4:20 PM. He would have been even closer had we not taken some extra time and passed by the Atlantis from the beach side before entering Nassau Harbor. Congratulations Paul, I will bring it back to Canada for you.
We have taken lots of pictures and not just sure when I can get to post them. Stay tuned and thanks for following along.
Bob
Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
dunah...dunah....dunah...dunah......

I hope someone used the line......."Bob, I think you are going to need a bigger boat!"

Great adventure Bob, glad you guys were able to improvise and get Predator back to Nassau.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
OK. We are back in Nassau for repairs. Our day on the water yesterday, at least up until we broke the prop had to be one of my best days ever. Had that not happened we would have made Georgetown by 8 PM last night and likely be pulling into T & C about now. But that is boating, it has happened before and I am sure it will happen again. We were able to get the broken prop off without too much trouble this morning but the spare would just not go on. Same as the night before our run to Cancun when we had to have another prop flown in. Tomorrow we will hopefully get it into a travel lift and pound on it till it fits !! In addition we still have an issue with steering. There is absolutely NONE ! We idled 4 hrs today from Highborne Cay Marina where we stayed last night on the boat back to Nassau where there is some hope of getting it fixed. We came back 40 miles steering the boat using every possible means to keep the boat on track - tabs, throttles, transmissions, and bow thrusters to steer!
Anyway we are here now and looking forward to dinner at NOBU's at Atlantis tonight. Hans is going to make me like sushi he says.
We will see what tomorrow brings as far as boat repairs and if we attempt to head down to Georgetown tomorrow afternoon. I hear the weather is changing tomorrow so that needs checking.
I went thru thru the thread to see who guessed closest to our arrival time at Hurricane Hole Marina yesterday. Unless I am wrong it appears to be my hometown friend back in Ontario, 1bagger. Paul's guess was 4 PM and the SPOT message that went to my cell phone said 4:20 PM. He would have been even closer had we not taken some extra time and passed by the Atlantis from the beach side before entering Nassau Harbor. Congratulations Paul, I will bring it back to Canada for you.
We have taken lots of pictures and not just sure when I can get to post them. Stay tuned and thanks for following along.
Bob
Bob, a hammer sledge & a little grease & your good 2 go!!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Bob, a hammer sledge & a little grease & your good 2 go!!!!
THIS from a dentist!!!

Scary chit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.