Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/229941-bobthebuilder-heading-back-islands-looking-new-adventure.html)

Bobthebuilder 05-07-2010 08:19 AM

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

1 Attachment(s)
Tomorrow morning, Saturday May 8th Team PREDATOR will once again head across to the Bahamas and turn south into the Islands. The goal will be to at least travel as far as the Turks and Caicos Islands. If we are really lucky with weather, later in the month we will go even further with a faint hope of getting down into the Caribbean Islands but one step at a time. On the first leg between Saturday and Monday night I will be accompanied by friends Hans ( OSO rockstrmkr ) and Marc Scola. On Monday or Tuesday we will secure the boat wherever we end up and fly home. I will then return on or about the 20th of the month with a new crew and see if we can go further. Those that followed a similar trip this time last year will remember that the stiff SE trade winds would not let up for us and we did not get all the way to T & C. We are a couple of weeks later this year and hopefully the weather will co operate. :)

I will post updates from time to time along the way and pictures as well. I have a new SPOT2 tracker so follow us along by clicking on one of the attached links. http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...RNodGZySZ7jmai or http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...sE2u07mrnqoRxF
Lets have a bit of fun here. Whoever can guess closest to our arrival time at Nassau’s Hurricane Hole Marina on Saturday afternoon will win my now retired SPOT 1 tracker along with an FMO tee shirt. ( you will be responsible for activation and usage charges ) It will be hard to part with, it as it has tracked us to Cancun, Cuba and around the waters of Florida, Bahamas and the Great Lakes. You may post or edit your arrival time guess up until noon Saturday at which time entries will be closed. Good luck and enjoy following our latest adventure.

Bobthebuilder 05-07-2010 08:27 AM

The initial tracks you see on the Spot page is just some testing I was doing around Marco / Naples yesterday. Tracking feature works much better than my previous Spot 1. I will next activate on Saturday morning around 10:30 AM departure from Ft Lauderdale.

Sea-Dated 05-07-2010 08:32 AM

Be safe and Gods Speed

My guess is 12:30

masher44 05-07-2010 08:35 AM

I would have a hard time making the return trip from Turks! Good luck and plenty of pics!

rchevelle71 05-07-2010 08:37 AM

Good luck Bob, hope the weather works out for ya. I will guess Noon straight up, but not sure if I want the tracker, if I use it my wife can find me on sundays, but then I guess I could just turn it off:drink:

Jupiter Sunsation 05-07-2010 08:40 AM

Seas have been lake flat this week on the east coast of FL so you should have an easy ride over tommorow!

Ted G 05-07-2010 08:42 AM

Have a great trip Bob, but above all be safe. You have the perfect boat for the trip but it is an imperfect ocean. Can't wait to follow your latest adventure!

My guess: 3:36 PM

damdonzi 05-07-2010 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3104357)
The initial tracks you see on the Spot page is just some testing I was doing around Marco / Naples yesterday. Tracking feature works much better than my previous Spot 1. I will next activate on Saturday morning around 10:30 AM departure from Ft Lauderdale.

Best of luck on your trip. Curious how the tracking is different on the new Spot. I have the original one as well and really didn't think anything was drastically different other than the form factor. How is it better?

bill63 05-07-2010 08:53 AM

Bob , Good luck and be safe.

handfulz28 05-07-2010 09:27 AM

2:30pm

Bob, will you launch out of 15th ST or from a marina?

Shah Mat 05-07-2010 09:34 AM

I will be daydreaming your trip through my head as I mow the lawn tomorrow..... Have fun and have one for me!

Looking forward your story again.

wrinkleface 05-07-2010 09:37 AM

B safe Buddy, bring back cool stories & awesome pix!!! Jealous in Michigan!!!!!:coolcowboy:

rockstrmkr 05-07-2010 09:41 AM

I'm packed and ready for action....Got my swimmies and a thong that matches the boat :lolhit:

Should be an awesome run!!!!!!!!

H.

37SR 05-07-2010 09:54 AM

I'm guessing 1:45pm, good luck & God's speed!

ciaoderhead 05-07-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr (Post 3104429)
I'm packed and ready for action....Got my swimmies and a thong that matches the boat :lolhit:

Should be an awesome run!!!!!!!!

H.

Good luck and be safe....pictures are not required of everything:lolhit:

3:08

Ted G 05-07-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead (Post 3104541)
Good luck and be safe....pictures are not required of everything:lolhit:

3:08

+1 :drink:

FREEDOM US1 05-07-2010 01:09 PM

Wow That sounds fun!!! Have a great trip and take some cool pics!! Good luck!!

JohnnyZ 05-07-2010 01:47 PM

2:11p.m.

Good Luck!

robert246 05-07-2010 02:13 PM

Be Safe Bob! We Will Need Our Leader Come October

Earthwerks 05-07-2010 02:20 PM

Good luck Bob, have fun!!!!

Wobble 05-07-2010 02:25 PM

Bon Voyage Bob:drink:

MegaByte*3 05-07-2010 02:30 PM

Good Luck seems to go along with great preparation so I'm sure you will be blessed with plenty of luck. Take a few pics.

Hans, stay out of the pictures. I can only take so much abuse !!!

Bobthebuilder 05-07-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 3104418)
2:30pm

Bob, will you launch out of 15th ST or from a marina?

It looks like low tide 15th St at launch time so we are going to put in at Haulover.

Member23845 05-07-2010 03:11 PM

Looking forward to the new adventures...
Safe Travels and take plenty of pictures. Cheers.

Bobthebuilder 05-07-2010 03:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. We will try to make this as exciting as we can for you ! LOL

Did I do a thread here with last years Bahama / Turks and Caicos run or just on that "other site" that I do longer post on? I wanted to attach a link to last years Bahama adventure but cannot find the thread unless someone else can. Not much time today with final preps. Driving to Ft Lauderdale soon and boat will be not far behind.

Also on the arrival time in Nassau contest be aware that last year it took 2 hrs to clear customs at Cat Cay and we are not in a race. Should cruise at about 55 to 60 max I would think. Probably depart Haulover Inlet just before 11 AM. That is all the help you will get on that ! LOL Good luck.
You may post or edit your arrival time guess up until noon Saturday at which time entries will be closed.

rchevelle71 05-07-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3104680)
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. We will try to make this as exciting as we can for you ! LOL

Did I do a thread here with last years Bahama / Turks and Caicos run or just on that "other site" that I do longer post on? I wanted to attach a link to last years Bahama adventure but cannot find the thread unless someone else can. Not much time today with final preps. Driving to Ft Lauderdale soon and boat will be not far behind.

Also on the arrival time in Nassau contest be aware that last year it took 2 hrs to clear customs at Cat Cay and we are not in a race. Should cruise at about 55 to 60 max I would think. Probably depart Haulover Inlet just before 11 AM. That is all the help you will get on that ! LOL Good luck.

OK, change my time to 3:37 PM:drink:

trc2 05-07-2010 04:10 PM

Good luck and be safe I will guess the time 3:00 T & C are great islands we have been a couple of times

jayboat 05-07-2010 04:22 PM

Safe travels, my friends. :drink:

offshoredrillin 05-07-2010 04:48 PM

Someday soon I'm going to come with you... I need a break..Live life bud!... :)

baywatch 05-07-2010 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3104748)
Someday soon I'm going to come with you... I need a break..Live life bud!... :)

+1!!!

3:14 is my guesstimate. Have fun. If you make it to the Chat N Chill say hello to KB for me.

Bobthebuilder 05-07-2010 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by baywatch (Post 3105000)
+1!!!

3:14 is my guesstimate. Have fun. If you make it to the Chat N Chill say hello to KB for me.

We are planning a visit to Chat N Chill mid afternoon Sunday before we tie up at February Point Marina. Will ask for KB and let you know.

baywatch 05-08-2010 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3105015)
We are planning a visit to Chat N Chill mid afternoon Sunday before we tie up at February Point Marina. Will ask for KB and let you know.

Awesome!!! Sunday is the day of the week that the Chat N Chill is really bumping. I sure would love to see the faces when that 50' beauty of yours pulls up amongst all the CC's and flats boats.

I still have one piece of dirt left on tropic of cancer beach down there. I really need to get back there to visit.

Have fun today guys.. you will be in my thoughts!!

Take sum pics for us!!

1bagger 05-08-2010 08:04 AM

My guess 4 O clock .
Good luck and may the weather gods be with you .

Paul

bajarick 05-08-2010 08:11 AM

Good luck Bob have a safe trip, Im sure
you wont have a daul moment with Hans
there. L O L
Rick

Airpacker 05-08-2010 08:17 AM

its 8 degrees and raining here Bob......YOU SUCK :)

Ebay Ed 05-08-2010 08:21 AM

i am guessing 3:57 pm

Davidmnc 05-08-2010 09:14 AM

Be safe Bob! Have fun and send pics!!!

My guess is 3:38pm :D

jmeng 05-08-2010 09:28 AM

Have a great trip Bob. Can't wait to follow alon on the SPOT.

2:42 pm

jayboat 05-08-2010 07:07 PM

As of 7:45 pm today

Through the wonders of modern telecommunications, I'm having this dictated to me from Alec in Canada so I can give you guys an update on Bob's progress.

He is off his planned schedule, and called Alec to let everyone know there is no problem. Because the seas were so calm and travel was good, Bob was eating hamburgers with his crew in Nassau at 4 o'clock. :drink:

The adventurers decided it was too early to quit, so they made the decision to continue on to Georgetown. A ways out of Nassau they threw a blade from one of the props. No problem in the calm seas- they decide to jump in and change the prop, but had a quick change of mind when a shark swam by. :eek:

At reduced speed they continued on... (times like this it is very handy to have 3 motors in your boat)

A little while later they lost power steering, and as of last communication, Bob suspects fluid level is the culprit. He is steering with his tabs and bow thruster as they are making way to the Georgetown docks. :drink:

Just want to let everyone know all is well, they are having a fantastic time and will give us an update sometime tomorrow.

The adventure continues...

signed,
jayboat, cub reporter
maritime division

vtec 05-08-2010 07:23 PM

Just north of Normans Cay. That must be an awesome tour.