Like Tree0Likes

Contender Record Attempt

Reply
Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Lauderdaleboats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida
My Boats: Bandit Boats
Posts: 409
Default Contender Record Attempt

A record breaking attempt to cross the atlantic from New York to Bermuda in a Condender CC is planned. They will be running triple 350 Yammies.

The current record is held by a 25 foot World cat that ran twin Merc four strokes. They left from New Hampshire to Bermuda in 29Hrs 19 Mins.

The record before that was in 1996 when a Glacier Bay cat with twin 40HP Honda's made it in 37 Hrs from Virginia to Bermuda.

Several attempts at this crossing have been made. I believe the latest was a 50 foot Couger cat with twin diesels and surface drives. If I remember correctly they ran out of fuel within a few miles of bermuda.

Gentry held the record up until 96. He crossed in his 100+ foot yacht with twin diesels and a turbine sitting between them. I can't remember the time but the Glacier bay crushed it.

Attempts like this in boats of this size really takes some big Kahunas. I've made a few crossings back and forth to Lauderdale in larger sportfish boats and got caught in weather that really makes you believe you're about to meet your maker. Pitch black, 15 foot cresting waves with the occasional 25 slamming the boat around 180 degrees. My hat goes off to these guys.

Here's the articles.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...e&sectionId=60

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...5&sectionId=60
Lauderdaleboats is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
  #2
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
salesmanship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Coral FL
My Boats: boats
Posts: 2,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBeach View Post
They better make it count, the Fountain fishing guys love bragging these type of records. Like the NC to NY run, and the Key west to Cancun.
They can't brag about KW to Cancun anymore!
salesmanship is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 PM
  #3
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBeach View Post
They better make it count, the Fountain fishing guys love bragging these type of records. Like the NC to NY run, and the Key west to Cancun.
The guys running this boat used to work for Fountain. Chuck was the NE Fountain rep for years.
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 PM
  #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arlington Tx
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmanship View Post
They can't brag about KW to Cancun anymore!
Reggie will try again you can take that to the bank. He doesn't like to lose.
Catmando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:23 PM
  #5
Registered
Trade Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toledo Oh
My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC
Posts: 8,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats View Post
A record breaking attempt to cross the atlantic from New York to Bermuda in a Condender CC is planned. They will be running triple 350 Yammies.

The current record is held by a 25 foot World cat that ran twin Merc four strokes. They left from New Hampshire to Bermuda in 29Hrs 19 Mins.

The record before that was in 1996 when a Glacier Bay cat with twin 40HP Honda's made it in 37 Hrs from Virginia to Bermuda.


Several attempts at this crossing have been made. I believe the latest was a 50 foot Couger cat with twin diesels and surface drives. If I remember correctly they ran out of fuel within a few miles of bermuda.

Gentry held the record up until 96. He crossed in his 100+ foot yacht with twin diesels and a turbine sitting between them. I can't remember the time but the Glacier bay crushed it.

Attempts like this in boats of this size really takes some big Kahunas. I've made a few crossings back and forth to Lauderdale in larger sportfish boats and got caught in weather that really makes you believe you're about to meet your maker. Pitch black, 15 foot cresting waves with the occasional 25 slamming the boat around 180 degrees. My hat goes off to these guys.

Here's the articles.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...e&sectionId=60

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...5&sectionId=60
Am I missing something here?? New Hanpshire and Virginia aren't even close? And arent Contenders the boats that are never designed to leave the water or they crack and void the warrenty?? Im soo confused, this whole internet boating thing makes my head spin.....
phragle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM
  #6
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Bobthebuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Marco Island, FL; Waterloo, ON, CAN
My Boats: 2009 Nor Tech 5000 Diesel; 2015 Statement 380 CC; 2014 32' Renegade
Posts: 5,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
Reggie will try again you can take that to the bank. He doesn't like to lose.
Neither do I !! LOL I have been waiting for him to re claim it so we can take another run at it, as I feel we can do quite a bit better if we catch the right day. We will see.
Bobthebuilder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Lauderdaleboats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida
My Boats: Bandit Boats
Posts: 409
Default

The distances between New York, New Hapmshire and Viginia are prety close.

New York 772 Statute- 671 Nautical Miles
Richmond Virginia 805 Statute-699 Nautical
Concord New Hampshire 838 Statute- 728 Nautical

I believe the record is being based on a crossing from the USA east coast to Bermuda. Now if Reggie were to attempt this he would do the smart thing and start at the closest point. Guess what state that would be. NC.

I got theese distances from the below link. Not sure how many miles from the city to the coast.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distance.html
Lauderdaleboats is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LI, New York
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phragle View Post
Am I missing something here?? New Hanpshire and Virginia aren't even close? And arent Contenders the boats that are never designed to leave the water or they crack and void the warrenty?? Im soo confused, this whole internet boating thing makes my head spin.....
By the looks of that guys boat(whoever made that website).......... I wouldn't step foot on one if it was on the trailer!!
Mastercraft240 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM
  #9
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft240 View Post
By the looks of that guys boat(whoever made that website).......... I wouldn't step foot on one if it was on the trailer!!
LOL...kinda thinking the same thing.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
My Boats: 32 Dakota w/ 250 Yamaha OX66
Posts: 854
Default

about 90 miles from Richmond to Norfolk
Pete280 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.