Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   weird engine problem (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230573-weird-engine-problem.html)

alindquist 05-16-2010 08:00 PM

weird engine problem

Boat ran great yesterday, camped out and when I woke up this morning it won't start. I have plenty of battery power and it would turn over but it wouldn't fire. Got towed in, tried to start it on the hose with starting fluid and still wouldn't fire. I have noticed lately that when I turn the key the fuel pump hasn't been priming. I'm thinking it's electrical since it wouldn't fire on starting fluid... Where do I begin to trouble shoot? Any ideas?
1999 7.4 volvo gi
serial 4110176452
model 386894
Thanks
Aaron

Lauderdaleboats 05-16-2010 08:18 PM

I have replaced more fuel pumps on those motors than you can shake a stick at. A fuel pressure test would be a good starting point

frankenstein 05-16-2010 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats (Post 3111678)
I have replaced more fuel pumps on those motors than you can shake a stick at. A fuel pressure test would be a good starting point

But shouldn't it fire up briefly with the starter fluid ? I'm def. not a mechanic, but if the fuel pump goes, doesn't it usually kick with starting fluid, for a second or two ?

GO4BROKE 05-16-2010 09:29 PM

My guess would be no spark.
Start with the basics,
check spark, and fuel pressure.

DirtyMoney 05-16-2010 10:00 PM

Is there a bleeder to check if there is fuel pressure?

Ebay Ed 05-16-2010 10:08 PM

pull a plug wire off and stick your tongue on it while a buddy turns the engine over that will let you know if you have spark LOL

Perfectmix 05-16-2010 10:12 PM

By chance is your killl switch on your helm in the run position?

Scarab Billy 05-17-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Perfectmix (Post 3111779)
By chance is your killl switch on your helm in the run position?

I have seen the safety tether for the ignition accidently get pulled out after "camping trips" follow the string,,find the clip and slide it back in...happens when there are kids around:coolcowboy:

alindquist 05-17-2010 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help guys...
There is not a tether just a switch under the dash so I don't think that is it however that is what it is acting like (and we did check it). I was thinking fuel pump from the start since it doesn't "prime" when I hit the key. However with starting fluid I figured it would at least pop but it didn't. I'm going to check spark in a while and go from there... I really just don't want to start buying up parts until I know what's going on.
Is there a main breaker on the engine that could have popped? If there is will the the engine still turn over? It finally stopped raining so I'm hoping to dig in a little deeper tonight.

alindquist 05-17-2010 03:48 PM

update:
Got in the boat today to do a little trouble shooting, hit the key and nothing... It won't turn over. I know the batteries are charged and all the accessories work. It does make a click sound but that's about it... I'm gonna keep digging through these manuals but if anybody has any ideas I'm all ears.