Like Tree0Likes

1000hp, High School Built, SBC

Reply
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
  #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Default 1000hp, High School Built, SBC

This isn't really marine related but I thought some of you might be interested
in seeing what is possible with turbos, now that there seems to be a little bit more
happening with them. We dyno'd a twin turbo small block at
Tom Earharts over the weekend which turned out pretty well. The entire
motor, including hand built exhaust headers and intake plumbing, was built
by students at Pinckney High School, in Pinckney, MI.

The motor is a 357 cid Chevy with two 60mm turbos and a very mild
236/[email protected]" Cam, and 8.5:1 compression. We dyno'd the motor naturally
aspirated first, and then put the turbos on and dyno'd with boost. The
results were pretty astounding. 348HP naturally aspirated, 563 with 10psi
boost, and 931HP with 25psi. Given more tuning time and better
air(oil and exhaust leaks contaminated the intake air) it would have no doubt
made 1000 horse.

I've posted all three dyno sheets, and a couple of videos, one 770 raw [email protected]
and one at 830 raw [email protected] rpm. Make sure to watch the torque scale.

Thanks to Tom Earhart for all the dyno time, Bill Reifer(check300) for reading
gauges and donating some race fuel, and John at Pole Barn Engines for
boring and honing the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhOiWL4_qmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dlSfSgWACE
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SBC 357 NA Dyno Curve.pdf (70.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf
SBC 357 10psi Dyno Curve.pdf (71.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf
SBC 357 25psi Dyno Curve.pdf (71.1 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by raimerm; 05-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.
raimerm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Troy, Mich
My Boats: 1984 Chris Cat
Posts: 2,707
Default

Do you have a knock sensor? That is some big psi at 25 and really pushing some fuel. Carburated? Great project for the students and they did a great job.

Wannabe
wannabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South FL
My Boats: Big Ole 42' Cruiser w Arnies.
Posts: 292
Default

nicely done! I lived in Hamburg for about 12 years before I moved to Florida - great to see some HP being built back in Pinkney - too bad I never had that class offered when I went to school.
Swamplizard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
  #4
Registered
 
cougarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1986 Cougar US-1 46'
Posts: 2,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimerm View Post
This isn't really marine related but I thought some of you might be interested
in seeing what is possible with turbos, now that there seems to be a little bit more
happening with them. We dyno'd a twin turbo small block at
Tom Earharts over the weekend which turned out pretty well. The entire
motor, including hand built exhaust headers and intake plumbing, was built
by students at Pinckney High School, in Pinckney, MI.

The motor is a 357 cid Chevy with two 60mm turbos and a very mild
236/[email protected]" Cam, and 8.5:1 compression. We dyno'd the motor naturally
aspirated first, and then put the turbos on and dyno'd with boost. The
results were pretty astounding. 348HP naturally aspirated, 563 with 10psi
boost, and 931HP with 25psi. Given more tuning time and better
air(oil and exhaust leaks contaminated the intake air) it would have no doubt
made 1000 horse.

I've posted all three dyno sheets, and a couple of videos, one 770 raw [email protected]
and one at 830 raw [email protected] rpm. Make sure to watch the torque scale.

Thanks to Tom Earhart for all the dyno time, Bill Reifer(check300) for reading
gauges and donating some race fuel, and John at Pole Barn Engines for
boring and honing the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhOiWL4_qmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dlSfSgWACE


Looks like the Students did a great Job,.....can only imagine what the future will continue to bring.


Jon
cougarman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
  #5
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplizard View Post
nicely done! I lived in Hamburg for about 12 years before I moved to Florida - great to see some HP being built back in Pinkney - too bad I never had that class offered when I went to school.
I grew up off of strawberry lake road, hamburg is small, pinckney and dexter schools never had anything like this before.
showtime83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kent Island MD
My Boats: 86 Cigarette Mistress
Posts: 203
Default

Looks like it had a Classic FAST EFI judging from the software on the laptop shown
EightSecv6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 PM
  #7
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Default

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Do you have a knock sensor? That is some big psi at 25 and really pushing some fuel. Carburated? Great project for the students and they did a great job.

Wannabe
No knock sensor, just good fuel and not going crazy with the timing. It is fuel injected which helps a lot. The motor was put together with really good parts, and the assembly was supervised so it should hold up to a lot of abuse.

My buddy teaches the auto shop class, and him and I have always been turbo fans, and horsepower fans in general. It's just nice to see some of the next generation as excited as we are, and who are willing to put in the extra time to accomplish this.
raimerm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 PM
  #8
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSecv6 View Post
Looks like it had a Classic FAST EFI judging from the software on the laptop shown
Close. It's a Speed Pro ecu which uses the classic FAST software.
raimerm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.