Notices

Best Time to Sell

Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Time to Sell

I realize that with this economy this isn't the best time to sell anything, but, I need to sell my Cigarette and was wondering what you guys thought was the best time of year to advertise it? Spend the money for an ad now, or what until Fall or next Spring?

Last edited by DORaymond; 05-21-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Start advertising now. Get the boat on the market asap.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Spring is the best time to sell a boat for sure.

I have mine advertised in a few places with no luck.

In this economy it's tough to sell anything.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd get it listed now. We aren't out of the woods yet by any means. I think a sub 8k Dow is still totally in the cards.

I heard a good analogy the other day about the world economic climate. The world is the titantic and the stern is the U.S. and the bow is Europe. The Bow has hit an Iceberg and is going down. In the process the stern is being lifted slightly. Our governments are re-arranging the deck furniture in an effort to correct the uncomfortable list that is occuring from side to side. Eventually, the whole ship is going down and rather than putting people in the life boats we are busy re-decorating the stern and the layout of the deck furniture. The whole thing is going down sooner than later regardless of the rediculess attempts at manipulating the free market.

Get it listed and get it sold now while you still can....
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baywatch, it sounds like you sat next to Chris Sunkin in advanced economics at Harvard. Impressive!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

List it NOW. As warm weather gets here and people are out on the lakes and beaches, they see boats and start wanting one. This impulse can sometimes lead to sudden and irrational purchases, even causing people to pay more than they normally would. That said, the excess supply of used boats out there now probably cancels out that notion. But I'd try to sell it now.

Fewer people buy in the Fall; demand is lower, weather is getting colder and buyers are just going to have to pay more for winter storage...so they wait til Spring...
Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
Baywatch, it sounds like you sat next to Chris Sunkin in advanced economics at Harvard. Impressive!
WOW, did you get a doctorate from the school of inappropriate snide remarks??

I said I thought it was a good analogy and supported the rationale of listing now and unloading (if he really wants to unload it) rather than waiting till next spring. As stated in the original post I didn't come up with the analogy. I was only repeating it (I didn't realize I was supposed to cite my sources) .

For what it is worth I only have a minor in economics and I TAKE BEING COMPARED TO SUNKIN AS A TOTAL INSULT. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I gave mine which is what I thought the individual that started the thread was looking for.

If you are that Bullish on the economy, good for you. My short plays worked out pretty well for me yesterday and I will keep doing what has been working for me.

I stand by my original statement:

List it and get it sold now rather than waiting untill next spring.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 365 Likes on 244 Posts

baywatch, don't bother, let your word out and let other think what they want, I like your analogy, and it might unfortunatly be true...