Notices

Looking for advice....

Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice....

Would like your recommendations for buying a single engine go fast type boat (22-28ft), MPI engine, 60mph, for use on a small choppy Texas lake near DFW. Something that will not beat my poor wife to death as my last two small, shallow draft boats did. Here's the problem--I only have around $15,000 to spend. What do you guys think I should look at ???? Thanks.... ( a 1997 or so, 26' Scarab with 502 MPI would be nice but probably not in my price range)
Old 05-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeC...
Would like your recommendations for buying a single engine go fast type boat (22-28ft), MPI engine, 60mph, for use on a small choppy Texas lake near DFW. Something that will not beat my poor wife to death as my last two small, shallow draft boats did. Here's the problem--I only have around $15,000 to spend. What do you guys think I should look at ???? Thanks.... ( a 1997 or so, 26' Scarab with 502 MPI would be nice but probably not in my price range)
*** Edit*** Sorry, saw the price range...

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a newer ('97 or newer) EFI boat in the 25' range for $15k. I think you should look at something like this:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/1698382506.html

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 05-23-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Registered

I see what you mean. Sounds like I need to drop the MPI requirement and move to an older, carb engine boat in order to stay in the $15K range ???? I'm guessing that my widest selection will be from Baja and that any nice Scarab will probably be out of reach. Is Baja build quality such that it's likely I can find something in good shape do you think??? Baja's are extremely popular in Texas. Or would some other brand be better to look at ??? Thanks....
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's possible to find a Scarab in that price range, you just have to do some looking.

I definitely think that Baja's are a quality built boat, and I think you should be able to find something to meet your needs. You can also look at Powerquests (they have a 257 model), and the older Fourwinns Liberators are nice older, well built boats that hand rougher water really well.

I would try to stay as close to 26-28' as possible to keep the misses happy!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I'm looking for a 36 Skater, mint condition, big fresh power, for about 10 grand, anybody know of any? Just kidding, obviously. I had a 24 Liberator. Loved it, she was good in choppy water, but I don't know if I would say it's a good built boat, but it was a pretty smooth boat. I took her out in the ocean a couple of times in about 2 1/2 - 3 footers, and everything in the cabin was upside down, even the stuff that wasn't supposed to move ( sink, small liquor cabinet ), but it was an awesome bay boat ( 1-2 foot washing machine type water) Good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Registered

Smile

If you can find a chaparral Villain III 26 footer weighs i pretty good 454 bravo. Formula boats are great in the 24 to 26 range deep v with big block and bravo or even twin 350s with alpha. You might get lucky and find an older 26 scarab or Nova.

Look hard and get a GOOD survey. Money well spent! Can save you from rot, no compression water in oil ............
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about Checkmates.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/1731016342.html

Although the claimed speed looks a bit optimistic to me...

Last edited by Keytime; 05-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.