Sewing Machine for Canvas/Upholstery Work >

Sewing Machine for Canvas/Upholstery Work

Notices

Sewing Machine for Canvas/Upholstery Work

Old 02-20-2020, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
We picked up an old school Consew 206RB. Heavy duty industrial machine about 10 years ago. It can sew through anything, it has a walking foot. No Frills, Forward Reverse and like the Energizer Bunny. Just keeps going.

This is an example picture, it came mounted to table with Motor, "Hot Foot Throttle"...lol.

Excellent heavy duty machine.

Padraig
Old 02-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up an old Singer machine from around 1920, I’d guess, to do the boat upholstery. I haven’t used it yet but the guy I bought it from said it worked great. It looks real cool too
Old 02-20-2020, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

S. Kaplan Sewing Machine.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
We picked up an old school Consew 206RB. Heavy duty industrial machine about 10 years ago. It can sew through anything, it has a walking foot. No Frills, Forward Reverse and like the Energizer Bunny. Just keeps going.

This is an example picture, it came mounted to table with Motor, "Hot Foot Throttle"...lol.
That's what you call a really good one!
Back to the topic, from what I've learned Consew, Juki's and metal Singers (though are not that easy to maintain) are the best options.

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
What kind of machine should I look for?
And please, don't even try to use so-called newer HD machines - these are crappy built and won't sew through several layers of jeans, not to mention they're completely useless for a vinyl. Been there, done that, so I won't ever try to use m'lady's machine for upholstery.
Though I wasn't so lucky with used "vintage" units, so I got Sailrite in the end (the basic one). And it works perfect for me.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

A couple of additional points. Make sure you have good quality thread and needles. Good needles are vital.

Padraig