Step Bottom Trim Tabs

Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step Bottom Trim Tabs

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture324.jpg
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture327.jpg
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture325.jpg

Check out these tabs Ive been working on I put steps in the bottom to reduce drag, i cut them on my cnc machine out of billet aluminum . Did some back to back testing with the stock ones on my 1996 28 velocity with a hp500. I trimmed the same each time and found that they run the same speed within one mph when they are down at 7 to 3 one my indicator, 2 on my inductor is flat and found when they are there at wot 5000 rpm went 75.0 mph with the stock tabs and went 76.0 mph with my tabs. they work when you drop them a bit to help stabilize the boat. the boat goes 78-79 with the tabs all the way up. let me know what you think.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
GB
Registered

Nice work
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered

They look cool.....but aren't you just reducing the effectiveness of the tab, and that is why you are getting a 1MPH speed increase?

Yikes.....a "Trick Marine" sticker on your trailer on pic #2!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
They look cool.....but aren't you just reducing the effectiveness of the tab, and that is why you are getting a 1MPH speed increase?

That's what i was thinking.....
Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered

Tab performed the same as the stock ones but mine are faster at the nuetral level because of less drag. They are flat to the bottom of the boat, how are you reducing the effectiveness of the tab at that level. The tabs performed the same as the stock ones when they were down at 3-7 on my indacator, and the speed was the same.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Same thoughts here. Tabs are meant to create drag to keep the bow down. They may seem like like they are working exactly the same at the same tab trim level, but that is difficult to measure. With the tabs all the way up, they should not be contacting the water anyway.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Same thoughts here. Tabs are meant to create drag to keep the bow down. They may seem like like they are working exactly the same at the same tab trim level, but that is difficult to measure. With the tabs all the way up, they should not be contacting the water anyway.

Well......from what T2X says, the steps in the bottom of a hull are to create bubbles to "ooze" along the bottom of the hull to reduce drag. So with that in mind, I just don't see what adding steps to the tabs will do except reduce the effectiveness of them. It is intersting though.......and look very cool!