Notices

HORBA Sad News

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Benihana Committee Member...the beginnings

Very sad to hear of Bill Wishnick's passing...
I was proud to serve on his team that produced the 1976 Benihana Race in Point Pleasant, NJ and got to go to his corporate offices in NYC in the "Board Room" for a noon-time meeting one day, while his secretary (Dorothy?) threw out sandwiches to everyone across this 20' long table. Bill went around the room assigning everyone their duties very efficiently...then Bill tossed me a whistle, a shirt, and the keys to the Mo-Ped...I was put in-charge of the parking lot! OUCH...certailnly not the glamerous job I was expecting, but I accepted it and started "at the bottom".
I certainly learned alot though and it reflected in my productions in the Northeast; the GATEWAY POWERBOAT REGATTA put me on the map and that grew into the NATIONAL POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION Race Circuit of the 80's and presently our Poker Run Series.
His name surfaced recently (within' the last 10 years) when WITCO sold out to Chemtura, while my wife Natalie was working for the company. One day, after all the Board of Directors completed the sale of WITCO, an 80 year old guy with a pony-tail in a Cadillac was spotted doing burn-outs and donuts/4 wheel drifts in the courtyard around the flagpole...smoke pouring out of all 4 wheel wells...
...Bill did not like the terms of the sale of his company I found out. Recently, Chemtura filed for bankruptcy.
He had some SPIRIT...and I hope/know a little bit has rubbed off on me!
Bill, Please smile down from heaven when we produce the "RACE AROUND LONG ISLAND" this fall, ...the event you established during the 60's.
It was an honor to meet, serve, and enjoy "thrills" with BILL WISHNICK...a genuine offshore powerboat race hero!

Sincerely,
Billy Frenz
NATIONAL POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION
www.nationalpowerboat.com
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God Bless Bill and his family.