Like Tree0Likes

Thinking about getting a performance boat.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilwell View Post

Budget, good question as I could spend a lot more than I want to. I am currently looking in the $50,000 - $70,000 range. I have found a real nice boat with 500 hours on 525 carbureted SC motors for $50,000. Thank you.

You can buy newer/much lower hours for that same 50K!

Go take a ride in a 496 HO powered 30-35 ft. boat and you will think that is a screamer! The 525 SC shouldn't be confused with the 525 EFI. The 32 Fountains have an issue with sinking at the dock (due to low profile taking wakes/waves over the transom) so if you plan on leaving it in the water that needs to be taken into account.

You could probably buy a 2003-2004 35 Fountain Executioner for 60-70K, they were only 125K new!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
You can buy newer/much lower hours for that same 50K!

Go take a ride in a 496 HO powered 30-35 ft. boat and you will think that is a screamer! The 525 SC shouldn't be confused with the 525 EFI. The 32 Fountains have an issue with sinking at the dock (due to low profile taking wakes/waves over the transom) so if you plan on leaving it in the water that needs to be taken into account.

You could probably buy a 2003-2004 35 Fountain Executioner for 60-70K, they were only 125K new!
It seems these boats can vary greatly in price based on options, most of which I know and understand but some of which I don't; Latham steering, halon, cockpit/mooring covers, Gaffrig guages and controls, sea strainers, engine sync, shore power, silent choice, trailer, etc.

What do you think this 93 is worth, it is on a Myco trailer?

I won't be leaving it in the water regularly but good to know for the occasional overnight.

What are the differences between the Fever, Lightning and Executioner?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilwell View Post
It seems these boats can vary greatly in price based on options, most of which I know and understand but some of which I don't; Latham steering, halon, cockpit/mooring covers, Gaffrig guages and controls, sea strainers, engine sync, shore power, silent choice, trailer, etc.

What do you think this 93 is worth, it is on a Myco trailer?

I won't be leaving it in the water regularly but good to know for the occasional overnight.

What are the differences between the Fever, Lightning and Executioner?

Thanks.
Be careful with options, some of that stuff listed as "options" on used boat value guides are standard. Not sure it has a whole lot of value on a 15-20 year old boat.

Fever/Lightning/Executioner were all trim levels. Some years the bottoms were identical but maybe a different deck, windshield. The Executioner series was brought back into production in 2003 and used for a 35 and 42ft model.

Some of the Fountain guys can chime in with the major differences. As far as value, I would think a 93 w/500+ hours is probably not a 50-70K boat, more like 1/2 that range in today's upside down market.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless... with money in the bank!!

hell national just sold a MINT 2001 formula 38 fastec on a trailer 500efis 165 hours and stellings ext boxes for 70k!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: Open Slip - formerly Formula'd

I'm sure you realize that trailering and handling a boat in that size range is a much different prospect than the 20-footer you had 18 yrs. ago. The good news is, you should be able to find something nice in this current market...

I had about the same period of time pass before I picked up an older, single engine Formula 242 a couple of years ago -- I quickly realized my skills needed an upgrade, as the boat (actually 26') seemed much bigger than anything I had managed before (it was). Though I can get it launched by myself, it's really all I can handle and the process goes much better with some help.

The idea of a 33, 35 or 38 - ft. boat sounds wonderful, but I can't quite see myself owning one just yet. If you're ready to make the jump, though -- I say go for it....none of us are getting any younger!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Registered

My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988

I'm tellin' ya, I got your boat right here. I'll even meet you half way for delivery!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o29987-en.html
Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member
Trade Score: (16)

My Boats: 33 Sutphen outrageous P3

Tanks is the boat. Dont waste your time on a fontain. 38's are 34/35. 35's are 31/32 maybe. Ask anyone also no comparison to a Cig.
-Mike