Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Scarab sinks at Havasu video... >

Scarab sinks at Havasu video...

Notices

Scarab sinks at Havasu video...

Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was enough time to attach a rope to to the front and pull.That would have at least allowed some time for the bilge to catch-up or find shallow water.....if that didn't work they could cut the rope at any point.At least try....then again, no good deed goes unpunished.

Nobody stepped up quick enough.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

I've heard that some Fountain's have bilge vents really close to the waterline and will take-on water if overloading the stern. But I can't tell if thats a beaker or not.

Sure went down fast though.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

happens so quick....
Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered

It probably was a boot issue. But then again I just read the bottom of the next utube vid so maybe not. But..that is also how I got my Scarab a few years ago. The last owner and his buddy's helped him put new ones on it. I got the salvage, nice boat too

Last edited by Scarab Billy; 06-04-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

At least it was fresh water the boat should be salvagable!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Learned from the GLH/Drambuie thread that if you have and leak and your I/O is running, detach the cooling pipe from the motor and let the engine run as a secondary bilge pump. Since I am not mechanically inclined, I'm not sure exactly where to detach the pipe and how to stop the engine water intake from filling the boat up. Can anyone describe?
If you have cooling water coming in from your drive(or thru hull fitting for transom pickups) usually a 1 1/4" or 1" hose, slam the valve closed(you should have 1/4 turn ball valves, or install them, i did for this reason) , knife your hose, usually have a steel band in it so its a pain, and just keep the engine running, it is the hose going to IN side of your raw water pump or in between your strainer and pump. Hope that helps explain it better.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

That's a good idea....it'll be the only 1 1/4" running to the transom or bottom of the hull.If its enough water it's gonna suck that right out as long as the engine runs.

The intake hose is usually the outer hose on bravo's...kinda outside and up.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by showtime83
If you have cooling water coming in from your drive(or thru hull fitting for transom pickups) usually a 1 1/4" or 1" hose, slam the valve closed(you should have 1/4 turn ball valves, or install them, i did for this reason) , knife your hose, usually have a steel band in it so its a pain, and just keep the engine running, it is the hose going to IN side of your raw water pump or in between your strainer and pump. Hope that helps explain it better.
Thats a great idea. I don't have a ball valve on my sea water intake, I think I'll install one.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
Here is a video from the "owner" I'm guessing from what is written at the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EshvkoVx6Qs
This deserves some more emphasis:

""devondebany — June 01, 2010 — Long story short, our boat sank. One of the girls puked and as they were cleaning up too many people shifted weight to the back and down she went. None of us got hurt, thank God. Never gonna forget it that's for sure.""

So, the situation would certainly lend itself to reason that they may have been a bit overloaded.

Nevertheless, I feel terrible for the guy. It's got to suck losing your boat like that. And of course, I'm glad no one's hurt and I'm sure pukey's feeling better by now.

And, am I the only one that noticed this user's other youtube videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6WvTJxeORs
Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by showtime83
My strainer sits pretty low in the bilge...you can unscrew the top and use that if you ever get in a real bad jam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.