Notices

Navionics for iPad

Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navionics for iPad

Has anyone used this app with the iPad? I'm looking to buy the Garmin GPSMap 640 but started to think - is it worth spending $800 on the Garmin when I can buy an iPad 3G for less and use it for so much more? They make waterproof cases for the iPad's and I'm sure there is a suction cup mount on the market...

Navionics GPS App for iPad:
http://www.navagear.com/2010/06/navi...d-pretty-cool/

Last edited by P5-14; 06-06-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Link was not working, replaced it
Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

I have had this app for over 8 months now. It is fantastic!
I now leave my hand held gps at home and just carry my iphone. Have my iphone in a water resistant case and the whole lot i am very happy with.

Just last week i got stuck on a nearby island when we anchored near shore only to get back and find the tide had started to run out fast and my boat was high and dry.
The boat didnt float again till 7.30pm and it was absolutely pitch black, my boat has no nav lights and is black and no torch. not to mention the trip back was littered with shallow reef and sand bars.
I used my iphone to navigate all the way home safely whilst my wife held her iphone in the air with here bright light app in action to make us visible to other vessels. It literally saved my life.
Cant speak highly enough for the navionics maps. For what you pay you would be mad to go any other way.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Registered

For the iPhone great .. no so great for iPad .. YET!

I have the iPad 3G ... I was looking at Navionics for iPad and brought it up to read reviews and they are NOT good right now. It was only released on May 22 and there are 10 reviews (1 - 5 STARS) 5 guys gave the app only 1 - STAR and other 5 were not very positive. The 5 all say app crashes continuously on the ZOOM feature, without fail and doubt it could have been missed on their product testing it is that apparant. They all rave about Navionics for iPhone and in general, but say this was not ready for prime time release, yet. I am sure they will have updates the work out the current bugs, but right now I am holding out for the updated .ver. It sure looks like a winner and viable option for the boat though, can't wait. iPad is cool for many, many, many other things anyway so don't hesitate buying one and make sure to get the 3G model because the Navionics will only work with the constant signal form 3G as opposed to the WiFi hotspots, of course you probably knew this just mentioning

Chris

PS .. your linky no worky
Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Registered

Default Glare

Thanks for the feedback guys! I fixed the link.

A few guys on TBM said the glare makes it impossible to use on an iPad during the day, i didnt think about that.