Notices

Dono's Duramax

Old 04-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, Its a 6" from superlift and the tires are 35" on the factory rims. I'll probably get some wider rims and tires and use them for the summer only. You need the skinnys in the snow. Buck, i thought about the need to regear but its not necessary with 520lbs of torque. You can only get 3.73 with the duramax and once you drive one you'll see why. This truck hauls ass even with the bigger tires on. I had a 98 cummins 24 valve and i can hosestly say there is no comparison between the two trucks. If you have'nt driven a duramax/ allison yet you better not unless you plan on buying a new truck. this is how i look every time i fire it up
Old 04-29-2002, 10:33 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure looks good with those tires on it,,, I have the same truck in silver, but with only the 6.0L,,, I am trying to figure out why my 2500 comes with 245-75/16 tires,,, and the 1500 comes with 265-75/16 !!!!! I saw a guy with 285-75/16 on his 2500,,, hes cranked on the torsion bars a little to even the truck out and it looked very nice,,,, I was thinking of going that route, but I am having trouble finding 285-75/16 with "E" load ratings.

Last edited by obnoxus; 04-29-2002 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

here she is.
Attached Thumbnails Dono's Duramax-truck.jpg  
Old 04-29-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

obnoxus, looks good I love the look of the gm trucks but they sit too low and the little tires they put on are a joke. I picked mine up on a monday drove it 3 miles to the 4x4 shop and picked it up on wednesday all done. That way i avoided the discussion with the wife on whether or not a lift kit is necessary. when i brought it home she said " it looks good but cant you lower it about six inches" if she only knew. I told her i ordered it with the ZR2 package. Now all boats come with 575 sc's as standared equipment right.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:53 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts
Question

Dono, what did you do about recalibrating the speedo and trans for the bigger tires? My buddy Karl has been looking inot this and we keep hitting brick walls! Hypertech keeps saying 6-10 weeks before they have anything out and that was like 20 weeks ago!!!
Allison says the trans are able to have 285 programmed into the computer but no local dealer can find where the hell in the computer the setting is! He's got 265's on there now but wants to go way bigger and badly!!! Let me know!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-29-2002, 06:14 PM
Registered

I have the 245's also on my 2500, the local guy at the tire shop said Kellys, BFG's, and Goodyear I think. all make a tire Heavy enought in the 265 range. Kellys being the cheapest at $600
Attached Thumbnails Dono's Duramax-2000truckboat.jpg  
Old 04-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dono, Nice rig! The lift makes it. Had to do the same thing to my Ford
Old 04-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

Dono,
Truck looks great! I need to get the 245's off of mine. Can they reprogram for 285's with the Allison?
Dan
Old 04-29-2002, 11:56 PM
Registered

wally,
I didnt reprogram anything or recal the speedo. Truck runs great, hauls ass and so far no problems. I've heard a bunch of rumors about the allison not accepting bigger tires and i was a little scared taking my new truck in for the lift. But the guy that owns the 4x4 shop has the exact same truck, he threw me the keys and said you decide. I came back grinning like that. He's got over 15k on his and no problems. He was even trying to talk me into buying the 6" kit on his truck so he could go 10". I just didnt want to put a used kit on a truck with 3 miles on it. Theres a web site called the diesel page. Its similar to oso only thes guys hot rod their duramax trucks, and there is a number of guys that went to 33's with only cranking up the torsion bars. Oh and on the way home after the kit and tires my buddy running next to me at 70mph my speedo showed 66mph. The allison trans is one bad mother. Their are tons of rumors flying around about the duramax/ allison but most of them origonate from the ford and dodge boys making up ****. I spent a lot of time researching this truck since its so new. I had a cummins and loved it. drove the powerstroke and the duramax was it. I would have bought any of the big 3 trucks. I'm not a die hard bow tie fan or anything. Take my word for it if you drive one youll understand.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Registered

Just to get an idea of how tall the truck is I'm standing next to it in the one pic and i'm 6'2". the truck is over 7' tall.

Quick Reply: Dono's Duramax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.