Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
This.

Cat.....thanks for adding that.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact has been made with Abby Sunderland. She is safe & well.

Story on nbcnews.com: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/376188...-other_sports/
Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They found her... great...Parents are still f@cking hippie retards...

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...aged+sailboat/
Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH

Agreed. And should be brought up on child endangerment charges for letting their kids take part in this stupidity. Let me guess, dads a big sailing fan. Push your agenda onto your kids much? Pathetic. Nice to risk the lives of your kids to go after some lame record.

Jupiter, you brought up the fact she can drive a car at 16...Sure, but I wouldn't let my 16 year old daughter drive across the country alone, let alone sail across the globe alone.

Simple fact: By letting her attempt this you are deliberately putting her in the line of very real and very extremely dangerous conditions. Would anyone in their right mind want that for their kids?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH

+1.

Can you imagine just sitting in your boat for 30-40 hours, in 25-40 foot seas with winds sometimes up to 60 knots waiting for the rescue vessel? That alone would make me want to sink the damn thing when they showed up.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I agree with GLH

Thank God the kid is ok, but the parents should be ashamed to allow this girl to purposely risk her life. Well, now they can all raindance it back to the commune together
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Agreed. And should be brought up on child endangerment charges for letting their kids take part in this stupidity. Let me guess, dads a big sailing fan. Push your agenda onto your kids much? Pathetic. Nice to risk the lives of your kids to go after some lame record.

Jupiter, you brought up the fact she can drive a car at 16...Sure, but I wouldn't let my 16 year old daughter drive across the country alone, let alone sail across the globe alone.

Simple fact: By letting her attempt this you are deliberately putting her in the line of very real and very extremely dangerous conditions. Would anyone in their right mind want that for their kids?
Tank that is a little presumtive I think. When I grew up I grew up in my fathers sailboats. I wanted to do this exact thing myself but did not have the means to make it happen. When I was about 12 I would be the one in charge of my fathers sailboat when we overnighted up to Maine. I was the only one that he felt comfortable enough to leave up on watch and get sleep, anyone else and he could not sleep. He knew I had a total understanding of the boat and what to do if something went wrong. When I was 15 I started to solo his Hinkley. It was funny he would get calls from his friends telling him he was nuts. I always had on my life jacket when I was solo and I always kept myself harnesed in.

The hardest thing about a trip like that is the solotude. Age plays no favorites in that situation. If you watch the 17 year old boy that did it he stuggled with it big time. The 16 year old girl that just finished her solo trip did not so bad.

Looks like she did what anyone of any age would do. She lost her standing rigging and set off her eperbs.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Just for conversations sake, I'm apathetic either way as to the reasoning. but what makes her parents any different from a parent that forces their child into sports. whats the difference between crippling and potentially life ending injuries on a football field or gymnastics and her sailing?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Just for conversations sake, I'm apathetic either way as to the reasoning. but what makes her parents any different from a parent that forces their child into sports. whats the difference between crippling and potentially life ending injuries on a football field or gymnastics and her sailing?
We just had a kid get killed on an ATV the other day...... Now they are goign to pass a law that says that no one under the age of 15 can ride an ATV.... There is danger all over, can't live in a bubble.

Remember there are people that think that we are all irresponsible for the boats that we drive.....
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

AT 16 I was racing boats and going 30 miles offshore on shark hunts in a 15 foot Owens runabout.

Stop trying to legislate life.....that's what gave us today's politicians and Mothers against Drunk Drivers (which somehow managed to get involved with the trucking safety legislation that is going to cost all of you a fortune).

I am so sick of watching America become suckers for anything that mentions "The Children".

This kids got more b*lls than most of us and safety systems that apparently worked.

Deal with it.

We would be better served in developing ways to keep supersized (adult) egos alive in over powered Offshore boats IMHO.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 06-11-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.