Like Tree0Likes

kryptonite vs phantom

Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered

Default kryptonite vs phantom

as the title implies, i am looking for information on either a phantom 30 open cockpit, or a kryptonite 29. does anyone have experience with both? or been in both? or know a great deal about both or either?

I am looking for a boat that for the size is good in rough water, i was considering a 24 skater a bit more but due to insurance, and just 2 motors, i am now reconsidering. any other boats i should look at, i like the numbers i have heard from these 2 boats that is why i looked at them, but i do realize both are sort of rare. it seems like the kryptonites will be cheaper than the phantoms, anyone know of any for sale of either version?

thanks for responses in advance.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless61 View Post
as the title implies, i am looking for information on either a phantom 30 open cockpit, or a kryptonite 29. does anyone have experience with both? or been in both? or know a great deal about both or either?

I am looking for a boat that for the size is good in rough water, i was considering a 24 skater a bit more but due to insurance, and just 2 motors, i am now reconsidering. any other boats i should look at, i like the numbers i have heard from these 2 boats that is why i looked at them, but i do realize both are sort of rare. it seems like the kryptonites will be cheaper than the phantoms, anyone know of any for sale of either version?

thanks for responses in advance.
Randy from Typhoon has raced Kryptonite's extensively and raced Phantom's also. I would think he would be a good person to get input from.
Steve
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

smiklos is correct... typhoon would know the most about this comparison. Otherwise, though I haven't ridden in the phantom before, I'd imagine it is a little better in the rough. If not for anything, it is 3 feet longer. The kryptonite is technically a 27 with a 2ft swim platform. There's a 29 kryptonite for sale in the classified section. Two great boats. Cant go wrong with either of them!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered

My Boats: AKA Throttle Up Propellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Randy from Typhoon has raced Kryptonite's extensively and raced Phantom's also. I would think he would be a good person to get input from.
Steve
Agreed!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Kryptonite 29'

I agree with everyone else. the Kryptonites are very light and a very fast hull and of course i will be a bit biased toward them. Good in rough water but being lighter they tend to bounce around a bit more. very flat riding sitdown boats.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered

My Boats: Pantera 28 race

I think Crazy Chicken was talking about selling there open cockpit Extreme to buy a SVL
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 29 PHANTOM 36 SKATER 38 POWERQUEST

Agreed, cant go wrong with either. As mentioned tho I think the kryptos are 27. If you are looking at new you must be looking at the Speedster from will. A bit different than the model I have but I can tell you my Phantom was VERY well built and is a great performer. I personally like the added freeboard and my 29' handles rough like a 35' and is an absolute DREAM to drive. I dont know what Will does but his stuff always seems to have that little extra that you cant quite describe.

I expect to be in the high 80s and may crack into the 90s with new power. New kryptos and phantom speedsters with stepped bottoms and lighter layup would be faster than that by 10mph easy. However I love the ride and overall performance of this model.

If you around MI I'd be happy to take you out once the new power is in. Hate to sell it but kinda need to clean house a bit if a straight bottom works for ya.

Here's a pic of what I got...
Attached Thumbnails
kryptonite vs phantom-phantom1.jpg  

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 06-24-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered

thanks for the responses, how would i get in touch with randy from typhoon? thanks again looking at used, on kind of a budget looking to get as much boat for the money as i can. thanks again
Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered

on another note, anyone who has a kryptonite or phantom, how fast can you realisticaly run in true 2's? i will be using it on a lake that on weekends it is true 1.5'-2' everywhere occasionally bigger but usually not so much bigger, but its like a washing machine thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

My Boats: 29 PHANTOM 36 SKATER 38 POWERQUEST

I run mine on Lake St Clair and had no problem running the upper 70s that the old motor pushed it to any day out there. Would have been comfortable with more, even with passengers.

Big thing is overall setup. Mine loved a standoff box and the 380 tabs. Acts like a bigger boat and the attitude was just right - light bow without feeling "flighty". Nice steering is mandatory as well.

I'd say both boats will get you what you want with proper setup. Again tho may want to look at true length if kryptos are only 27. Speedsters I think are a full 30.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 06-24-2010 at 04:34 PM.