Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smartcraft/Vesselview (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/234143-smartcraft-vesselview.html)

Wet-N-Wild 09-13-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech (Post 3154060)
I have the SC5000 in my 292 and also love the fuel burn data. Simply reset after fill-up and you know exactly how much you have left. The steering position indicator to show exactly where the drives are pointed when manuvering in tight spots in a marina is a nice feature, as well as the peak speed and rpm feature, as well as...:drink:

I have the same setup and love it. I just took my boat to Havasu a few weeks ago and I started getting all kinds of alarms, well come to find out I had blown the waterpump impeller and the engine was getting hot. It is nice to have something to tell you when there is a problem and what it is. I have the smartcraft and regular monster gauges as a back up and also to fill the dash. I would never own another boat without this feature.

Audiofn 09-13-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by kap328 (Post 3156449)

Comment:

Seriously, I do not think this is possible can you explain how this is possible and projected cost. I have several friends that would love to have the Smartcraft/Vesselview unit on their respective older boats.

KAP

There is a device that I found that will transfer the analog signals from a standard motor and give you the data you need to show up on the GPS or what ever. They can also integrate in lighting and other things. Kind of cool. Not real expensive depending on what you want to monitor. You can also do fuel, fuel flow.....

Audiofn 09-13-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AppSysCons (Post 3156467)
Jon,

According to Mercury "All Mercruiser MPI (multi-port fuel-injected engines) Sterndrive, Inboard, and Tow Sports models with serial number 0M300000 and higher are compatible with SmartCraft instrumentation systems."

As an example my 2004 350magMPI S/N:0M689xxx, can be converted, that is clear, but are you saying you can get SmartCraft to work on older motors?

I am talking about any older motor, Mercruiser or not. You can leave your regular guages in and duplicate them on the display.

Wobble 09-14-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3207037)
There is a device that I found that will transfer the analog signals from a standard motor and give you the data you need to show up on the GPS or what ever. They can also integrate in lighting and other things. Kind of cool. Not real expensive depending on what you want to monitor. You can also do fuel, fuel flow.....

Was it something like this one?

http://nolandeng.com/downloads/RS11_1pg_72010.pdf

Audiofn 09-15-2010 06:02 AM

That is not the unit that I have been using but seems to be similiar. Did you ever get pricing on that one?

Wobble 09-15-2010 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3208215)
That is not the unit that I have been using but seems to be similiar. Did you ever get pricing on that one?

http://www.nolandeng.com/catalog/ind...984e57cba5a454

I was playing with the idea of going digital when I get around to redoing my dash and interior.

Prices seem to be reasonable

jrz 09-15-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3208215)

What unit are you using? Can fuel flow be measured?

Thanks,

Wobble 09-15-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jrz (Post 3208416)
What unit are you using? Can fuel flow be measured?

Thanks,

you can monitor any function provided you have the appropriate sender.

We are talking about digitizing analog information collected from non-electronic engines.

So it is possible to take oil temp/pressure, water temp/pressure, fuel pressure, rpm, boost and any other info you might have a gauge for and send it to a digitizer box and then you would be able to use a smartcraft or similar display.

Just a question of installing and wiring suitable senders.

Audiofn 09-15-2010 11:49 AM

I have been using a combination of Maretron software and hardware and Albatross products. They are a european company that I think was one of the first to market?

Yes you can use fuel flow. I am trying to get it so that I can have a touch screen that will give me all my info and also use the touch screen for my controls such as lightis, bilge pumps, starting the motors and so on. I know that I can do this with some other products that I sell for hom audio but it is to expensive to do that.

Wobble have you gotten far enough that you have done any testing? I will over the winter be making a test box that I will be able to plug into different boats and test the product out. I have tested on a small scalle with resitors and so on and it does work.

I do not think you can integrate with Mercury Smart Craft as I think they have their own propietary data but you can integrate with GPS units from different companies.

Jon

Jon

jrz 09-15-2010 02:04 PM

Measuring fuel flow from a inline flow meter works fine if there is a way to calculate gallons burned to lend some accuracy to a tank level sender. I believe smartcraft and the other NEMA systems use the ECU for fuel data. I would think there is a good market for upgrading non smartcraft boats.