Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which was better SBI Miami/APBA Daytona (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23442-better-sbi-miami-apba-daytona.html)

Shane 05-03-2002 02:07 PM

T2xis the name of the old Mercury Racing outboard.;)

Boat Girl 05-03-2002 02:07 PM

T2X- You never cease to amaze me...I really like your thoughts and ideas, and Steve David would be an awesome leader...Wow, but if that happened what would people complain about on the board...LOL, just kidding...who knows maybe the two organizations will read this post and get some ideas.... :D

Shane 05-03-2002 02:18 PM

I agree with most of what Rich said. However, where I do respectfully disagree is in the classes he suggests. I think that having SuperCat and SuperVee is not necessarily the best classes to choose for this plan. Simply because there are not enough players in this small group and on TV speed is not such an issue. Additionally, these BIG boats are more impressive on land than on TV. There is not such a dramatic difference in these vessels on TV as when you see them in person. If you used the Factory classes, I think interest would be much higher for many reasons. The most prevelant being these. There are more competitors in the factory classes than any other. Therefore, more teams to follow and become fans of. Secondly, that leads to more competition and better for the TV coverage. Tighter racing. Thirdly, these boats are as much or more exciting to watch because they are smaller and get more airtime. Fourth, people can identify with the make of the boat.

I think Rich is off to a good start and hopefully these ideas will not fall on deaf ears.

Shane:cool:

T2x 05-03-2002 02:44 PM

Shane:

If you note I said Super Vee LITE...inexpensive and competitive.

Any class is fine.... but no more than two...one featured... one secondary. Frankly, I think factory class vee hulls look like the same boats the average viewer sees at any marina( come to think of it..they are)...and have no particular pizzazz...... Plus, they're dangerous without canopies. Super Vee lights (A boats) are unique, affordable, safe and serious race boats that stand out as just that. As far as class size is concerned.... Every owner of a Factory 2, Super Vee, Super Vee light, and most other classes can afford one..... The only limit is how many of these owners....really want to be in a competitive boat race? Can you imagine all of the hot shoes in Factory 2, super vee, super vee lite, and factory one for that matter in similar or identical canopied 28-30 single "spec" engined vees...in the same race..... wow..now that's excitment. Treadwell, Woods, Robertson, Sgro, Fountain, Lilly, Stix, Chix, Turmel, Smitty, Bronx Phantom, Muscle, Jeff Harris, Dickey, Herbot, Murray, Arvis, Sorrentino, Trauth, Tres ..... get the picture?

As far as this message getting out......... I've been consistent with it for the past five years...... Don't hold your breath....

T2x

Goodfella 05-03-2002 02:56 PM

T2x,
Alot of very good ideas, why don't you to put them to good use and help out either Mr. Carbonell or Mr. Alwiess? I think the board would be very interested in knowing which one you would lend a helping hand to. Maybe boatgirl can be your protoge.:D

T2x 05-03-2002 03:04 PM

Good Fella:

I think I answered that...................... Neither.

They are both trying very hard...... but one created the original "split"... and the other splits from everything he creates.

T2x

Shane 05-03-2002 03:14 PM

Rich,

Point well taken. I guess I am in a quandry of sorts, so I would like to think it through a little more thoroughly. Additionally, I DO AGREE that featured classes are the way to go. Maybe that is all offshore should have? Actually, how about 4 classes TOTAL! SuperCat, Super Vee, Factory 2 and Outboard Cat? Just an idea. Any thoughts? I like this brainstorming thing.:D It sure is noce having an intelligent conversation and not a pissing match. ;)

Shane:cool:

Boat Girl 05-03-2002 03:27 PM

T2X- I agree with the primary and secondary classes...but what about stock class...Ive seen some of the best competition among, Gary, Mary Ann, Berry Cuda, Lee...et al...Thats a great class as well, but could you imagine a kinda IROC race with the best of the best in the same equipment...Now that would be cool... :D

T2x 05-03-2002 03:36 PM

2 classes..........................Period

if 2 become 4...then 4 become 8...then 8 become last weekend's nonsense. If the stock guys want to race..... get real good and one of the sponsored teams in Super Cat and/or Super vee lite will hire them as drivers and throttlemen.... That's how a real motorsport operates..... you don't buy your way into the television spotlight...... you earn it on the race course.

T2x

T2x 05-03-2002 04:10 PM

Good Fella:

Before someone comes on and posts an "AHA!" on here.....

FYI. I was the APBA TV coordinator (voluntary) under Gene Whipp, I have been the color and technical commentator for both APBA ..AND... OPT (SBI). While Michael paid for my announcing services all control over production was elevated to him (He thought I was unenthusiastic ......In retrospect he was right....and I was phased out) and the results are evident today..... for better or for worse.

Also FYI, I was one of the 4 man (Steve David, Nigel Hook, Mark Nemschoff, T2x) committee appointed by Gene to choose his successor....and I'm the one who put Michael's name in nomination ........for the job he hold's today.

Some days are oysters..... some days are pearls.

T2x