Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which was better SBI Miami/APBA Daytona (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23442-better-sbi-miami-apba-daytona.html)

Goodfella 05-01-2002 10:39 AM

Which was better SBI Miami/APBA Daytona

Who made it to both races and which one do you think had a better showing overall? APBA gets my vote! 73 boats 8 Supercats
great party spots. Dry Pits in the middle of the Daytona 500 etc.
If you want fierce competition race APBA! See ya in Marathon!:cool:

CigDaze 05-01-2002 11:33 AM

:eek: :eek:

I agree.;)

Jeff 05-01-2002 01:36 PM

The Super Cat race was really cool. Nice. That is what peeople want to see. The others were just a bunch of boats going around a track like at all the other boat races. The Super Cats should run at least 110 -125 mile races, this way driver skill and engine endurance ( not just flat out from the flag) comes into play. As a racer my first race was in 86 and I think the big boats ran over 135 miles. Just an opinion, don't want to get any thin skinned supporters upset. Great weekend:D

ScreaminDemon 05-01-2002 01:41 PM

you know damn well that this thread will create "fierce" arguments...instead of saying who was better and starting an argument(s), why not just give a hands up to APBA. :mad: :mad:

Shane 05-01-2002 01:44 PM

Sorry Jeff, I DISAGREE

Jeff,

What are YOU TALKING ABOUT? Have you ever watched an F1, F2, Supercat Light Outboard Race? There is tighter racing and better action in these classes with more boats mixing it up! Geesshhh!

Jeff 05-01-2002 01:51 PM

Shane I have a 100 mph canopy F-2, not the most exciting racing that I would want to watch. The Super Cats is the best racing I've seen. This new class is it.

NASTY HABIT 05-01-2002 02:36 PM

As far as venue Daytona takes it hands down...Miami was my first SBI event. and i heard they had a few problems arrise form US Customs which may or may not have hurt the wet pits spectatorability (huh). anyhow. I hate to comment negatively abotu SBI but APBA seemed very well put together...I guess after Ft Myers in a few weeks I can form a better opinion...

as far as competition between the various classes.... no doubt Super V in Daytona was the best racing I've seen anywhere live..I do love the S-cats..... but any close race no matter what class is what I am there to see....

Boat Girl 05-01-2002 03:14 PM

HMM...Mike, I wonder why you started this post...But since you asked, and I think we discussed my views...This was my first APBA race, not my first trip to Daytona, Daytona is great if you like dirty beaches and tourist traps, I have never seen so much garbage on a beach, and I am from Jersey...The dry pits were awesome...I liked being at the race track, but I did get an eerie Dale Earnhardt feeling...Wow, is he missed, but back to boats...I thought there was more competition with the smaller boats and the races on Saturday were a little more enjoyable for me...Drambuie pulled out front and never looked back...Ofcourse for those of you at Miami Reverie kinda did the same thing, but I guess it is kinda hard to keep those engines at idle...but as usual in Miami the Super V, Stock and F2 classes did not disappoint, and I am sure that Pier 57 and 902 would have put on a great show if given the chance...Ofcourse, I am used to being on a turn boat watching the action so maybe that is why I did not enjoy watching from the beach...Okay now for the atmosphere, I felt like a stranger in a foreign land, more like an arctic zone...with a few exceptions, Thanks Chris Reindl, it was great to meet you and Josh, also Bob Carter, and some of the SBI regulars, Michel and Serge, Jo, Gary, and my boys from Jersey, Jay, Glenn and Randy...but walking thru the pits nobody even offered a smile when you stopped to appreciate the equipment...I am not down on APBA, I wont give up on it, but I will be in Fort Meyers...maybe I'll catch APBA on a better week in a better venue...And also a big thanks to Shorgasm for being the host with the most... :p :cool:

JFM311 05-01-2002 03:28 PM

BG---catch apba on a better week?--are you saying the poeple are not friendly or the organization?--sounds like the same ole sbi/apba who's better bull****

CigDaze 05-01-2002 03:37 PM

Yep, same 'ole bull****...Never ends...same old story!:eek: :eek:

And comparing Daytona to Jersey...Come on BG, there's absolutely no comparisson! (This coming from a very happy ex-jersey boy):D :p ;)

Boat Girl 05-01-2002 03:38 PM

JFM- I am not sure who, it was just weird, as far as the organization, I didnt even really see anybody from or meet anybody from the organization, I'm just saying it just felt weird...As far a venue, I am not a real big fan of daytona except for the 500,,,Sorry

josh76 05-01-2002 03:45 PM

actually i really enjoyed the miami sbi race. some of those boats and equipment they are running are unreal. just seems apba gets more pr and more people come to watch the events, but thats not saying that both organizations don't put on great races. i love them both

Ted Zoli 05-01-2002 03:50 PM

I'll tell you BG, i talked and smiled at every person that even came remotely near the boat. With a three man crew you don't have a lot of time, but we always tried to make the time to visit and answer questions. Not ONE person from OSO came over and said "Hi, i feel i know you from the Board." That is what i say when i can, but i don't know how to identify the members. I just developed a private complex...figured i had BS'd one too many time on the Board and was being avoided!

Don't take offense where none is intended. Everyone is always welcome to stop by Critical Lift, get out of the sun and have a water or soda...we always have plenty in the cooler plugged into the dually.

Ted

Boat Girl 05-01-2002 04:00 PM

Ted, I am sorry I forgot to mention the Critical Lift guys as being great, I mentioned Gary...and just assumed everyone knew that was Critical Lift...Sorry my bad...

Hey, Goodfella asked, and you guys are right its the same old thing I was just being honest, and now I am getting beat up over it, I guess if I have an opinion that differs, I should just keep it to myself...

plumbgirl87 05-01-2002 04:14 PM

Boat Girl, I'm with you. Everytime I post my opinion they do the same to me. What ever happened to FREE SPEACH?

CigDaze 05-01-2002 04:16 PM

You've spoken...and it didn't cost a cent! :D :D :D :D

j/k;)

NASTY HABIT 05-01-2002 04:22 PM

We are running a special on "Free Speach" today ..... 2 for the price of one..We are all about the 1st Amend..... speak on RG !! and PG

we meaning my lucious other half and myself...:D

Pete B 05-01-2002 05:11 PM

i also attended both races, Both disappointed me with the fact they did not have event t-shirts, and the one down south wanted $10 for last years poster. as for the racing both venues had awesome boats, and it is good to run into friends at both sites. most people on sobe didnt even know what was going on. now the answer which one was better? i say a tie, why, because its powerboat racing and its the sport i have a passion for as should all who visit the board. wether it is sbi or apba or hydroprop i dont care.

NASTY HABIT 05-01-2002 06:21 PM

Pete you did bring up a good point...... I have wondered at a few events as to the lack of merchandise for sale...speaking for myself.... I buy that sh*& up...and am always looking for dif stuff to buy ..

T2x 05-01-2002 06:52 PM

As long as there are two sanctioning bodies the overall sport will be divided/diluted and no event can honestly claim World or National championship status....... More like National championship of guys with the same race organization decal as me.

What this has disintegrated into is an endless war of words that started in 1987 when OPT (went bankrupt ..became SBR.....went bankrupt ...became SBI....yeah really!....you can't make this stuff up) was formed.....15 ...count 'em .....FIFTEEN wasted years ago.

Meanwhile the opposing sides have developed "fans"..... who haven't experienced the other group, seen a real boat race, nor looked back at what the sport was before the "split". Put your silly "loyalties" back in the basement and wake up to the fact that without a single, unified organization......Offshore will always be playing in the sand (somewhat dirty in Daytona per BG). We have managed to take a marvelous sport with wonderful excitement and turn it into a bad remake (with corporate types wearing the dreaded monogrammed golf shirt) of Westside Story....... When you're a Jet..... This "crips' and "bloods" mindset is bad enough when played out by adolescent ignorami...but when professional adults adopt this "me ,mine and us against them" B.S. it is downright sickening.

If you REALLY care about your sport...... put your pressure (whining) on both groups to unify and quit their self serving crap. If that can't be done with current "leadership"( and I use the term loosely) ...than get new leadership.... real leadership..... For specific examples look in the encyclopedia under ...David, Steve......While you're at it look up competition...... as in many boats in VERY few classes capable of winning on an even playing field. There are other topics that will be helpful in your search as well...like integrity, honesty, and team building.

While your doing this, I'll be having a non political/not for profit ball at Skaterfest with the other "obsolete" folks.

T2x................

Report this post to a moderator |

Porkcp4102 05-01-2002 07:09 PM

Start with the basics........

Maybe APBA could attract spectators by telling some
information about the Racers in their flyer. If spectators
like the races they can choose to learn more about APBA
or SBI

1.) Radio coverage was great, how about a TV spot.

2. ) Park a few boats outside the Speedway to draw a crowd.
(Like at Bike Weeks)

3.) Have a PA system on the pier.

4.) Let potential fans know the basics like parade lap and
orange smoke.

5.) Advertise about the new parking garage accross from Adams
Mark.

6.) Tell about different classes and possible speeds.

So many people that just happened to be at the beach were
very :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
APBA and SBIP could grow their fan base by offering appearances
before the races, maybe Thur or Fri nights.

Just my .02. They both do a good job with what they have to
work with..............

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 07:35 PM

boy's and girls,

first of all there was a pa system at the pier. martin sandborn was on the radio live at the pier. while i will agree some things are hard to find and could be made easier, but you all ask for it wright away. mike allweiss has only had the reins for three years.give the man a brake. he's done more in three years then anybody has done in the last fifty. if we were to all chip in and give support it would go a lot easier.

apba vs sbi well i would have to say apba is it. they draw more boats and are more proffesional. carbonell is just holding on to his last strings. his nationals are no bigger then our divisional races.

as per being more friendlyer, of course if there is only 20 or 30 boats at a race and it's the same guy's over and over it's easier to become freinds and does lend to a friendler atmosphere.but once you get to a certain level it's hard to maintain that atmosphere because we are on the virge making monay at a race and working our butt's off and not having much time to talk. you can't just walk up to any nascar guy's can you. no it's at certain times of the day. bottom line is we asked for tighter rules, more money, proffesionalism, more boats to race, and tons of other stuff. now we got it and all you people can do is *****

Treadwell

P.S.

and from a racer's point of veiw when you have to race the next day and you are knee deep in your engine compartment it is very hard to say hi to all of the fan's, but please relise we don't do it on purpose. we try as hard as we can but untill the sport can pay us a little more we have to do most of our own work.

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 07:47 PM

tx2

why don't you stop talking about what is done. stop dredging up the past pick a side a go with it. don't any of you realize mike allweis has offered carbonell and us offshore a thousand times to unify and they did not. so go whine to the people who woulden't bend. us offshore died and so will sbi eventually with only 20 - 30 boats everbody cheatin and you need a large pocketbook. everbody will eventually switch or quit.

don't get me wrong i started with us offhore and carbonell. they were it ten years ago. now they have lost there way, and are paying for it. the only way to win sbi is to cheat, or buy your own class. there's no competition there. plus safty. that alone would make me run apba. runing around a course with 150mph boats passing a 60 mph noway not safe.

Treadwell

snglestack 05-01-2002 08:04 PM

t2x stay at skeeter fest you wont be missed by apba or sbi maybe you should invite treadwell you seem like you two would make a good couple:p :p :p :p

snglestack 05-01-2002 08:13 PM

t2x have fun at skeeter fest thats the only place left for you to go:confused:

dangerkitty2 05-01-2002 08:39 PM

TREADWELL

NOPE, no PA system at the END of the pier for the general public. It would cost $50 to go upstairs to hear the officials PA. :confused:

Jeff 05-01-2002 08:54 PM

Dangerkitty, It was nice to see you and Glenn Friday night. We had hoped you guys would have come by my room to watch the races. Sanbourn does a nice job, he was on one of the local FM stations. Jeff

Boat Girl 05-01-2002 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Treadwellmotorsports
[B]
as per being more friendlyer, of course if there is only 20 or 30 boats at a race and it's the same guy's over and over it's easier to become freinds and does lend to a friendler atmosphere.but once you get to a certain level it's hard to maintain that atmosphere because we are on the virge making monay at a race and working our butt's off and not having much time to talk. you can't just walk up to any nascar guy's can you. no it's at certain times of the day. bottom line is we asked for tighter rules, more money, proffesionalism, more boats to race, and tons of other stuff. now we got it and all you people can do is *****

Treadwell

I grew up around auto racing, from the local Sat. night tracks to the big NASCAR venues, I remember Ray when he was called Hollywood racing an open wheel modified #19, and when Tommy Baldwin was a teen watching his Dad race...he still hasnt changed, but yes you can walk up to any NASCAR guy and say hello, they make time or try to, that is one of the reasons NASCAR is so successful, accessability...I understand that there is a lot of work to do and most if not all teams do their own work, but it wasnt like I was walking around at the height of activity...people were just hanging out watching the Monster Truck thing going on at the track...I am not saying people were unfriendly, it was just a very different atmosphere...I'm not saying it was a totally bad weekend, I did learn a lot, and I did get to meet some new people...But it is a totally different atmosphere...

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 09:07 PM

sorry i was upstairs. thought the pa went downstairs to. next time give me a ring and i will get you upstairs.

Treadwell

dangerkitty2 05-01-2002 09:29 PM

TREADWELL: COOL!!!!! What is your number??

It was just a beautiful weekend to be out doors,(even though the seas were rough on SAT). We had a great time but we usually bring our own fun!!!!!! :p

Pete B 05-01-2002 09:37 PM

good point "Too Old", last year at the worlds a a potential fan said pretty much the same thing he was curious about some things with a certain boat and the team didnt give him the time of day., i explained maybe they were busy , he explained no they were sitting around drinking beers. after watching and talking with the guy about the several classes that were racing at once, he thanked me for explaining it all. i would say if your in anyway with a team you should always have time for a fan or potenial fan.
it is that , that will bring the sport to the next level. as for meeting the teams, i dont think the average joe knows who's who
let the fans mingle in the pits between certain hours and have the teams make someone available. as for t-shirts and things for sale+ look at nascar.

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 09:49 PM

i agree 100%. when i am in the pit's i have learned to try harder in talking to people the best i can. what i was trying to say was that with more racer's, there all not going to talk. not for snobish reason's but for many reason we may never know. so the rest of us talkitave racers will have to take up the slac.

i used to be a fan to, until they get to know you then they truly start talkin. i used to wander around the pit's. some will talk and some won't. not all the nacar guy's are cheery. some of them don't have the time of day.

but all in all i believe that most of us are easy to deal with. to the fans if there are any problems please call us on it. if anybody ever has a problem or needs to find somthing come find in the pit's i will do my best to help.

treadwell

T2x 05-01-2002 09:55 PM

Treadwell:

Two years ago I would have been more agreeable with your point.... However, SBI is bigger now than it was then...and APBA is smaller..... Point is once again under APBA's "new dynamic leadership" the two groups are becoming more equal in numbers......... again. This is bad news as both continue to have enough boats to hang on and justify existence....... but not enough to excel...... hence, the diluted fields at both events.

Super Cat had tremendous potential........ First race in San Diego 2000 12-15 boats......... This year 8......and mostly disgruntled at blatantly commercialized rules that forced junk like Demon Carburetors, and non-sensical sponsor biased "homologations" on them. You're currently an APBA fan and a disillusioned SBI racer........ There are others wearing the opposite hat........ This has gone on since before you were here and will end, sadly long after you and your eager but misplaced loyalty is gone....... .What's the point?.......... There is none..... other than some ego's and a burning desire to burn every bridge ever constructed..........again.......

As to my loyalties, I don't particularly care if either side wins..... Actually, I just wish the entire current group would fade away, before everybody loses.

Deal with it.......

T2x

C_Spray 05-01-2002 10:07 PM

Woo-Hoo!! That does it! The gloves are off now - I'm going out for a six-pack and big bowl of popcorn. Today's double-header is:

1) SBI supporters vs. APBA supporters.
2) T2x vs. the Misguided and Uniformed Universe of Darkness

(Neither one really seems like a fair fight, though....)

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 10:19 PM

tx2

are you just a pain i n everone's ass or what. i am very far from disallussioned. it seems to me you can't count. apba had 73 boats registered and sbi had 27. those 27 have been the same since forever. they are gaining no new people so what's the problem..

treadwell

Shorgasm 05-01-2002 10:25 PM

Miss BG...nice to meet you and absolutely no problem.......I don't go to many races so my opnion is somewhat small here......

Nonetheless......it was kinda quiet here all weekend....not a lot of publicity...even if you where looking for it....:rolleyes:

To say a little about the "dirty" beach.....well.....please remember that the part you walked on was just recently converted.......from a drive zone to a NO drive zone..........if i where to take you to the parts more frequently used by the car and people you will see a lrge differnce......

But still needs to be delt with......;)

DJD 05-01-2002 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Treadwellmotorsports
tx2
with only 20 - 30 boats everbody cheatin and you need a large pocketbook. everbody will eventually switch or the only way to win sbi is to cheat, or buy your own class. there's no competition there.

Treadwell

Eric, I'd like to debate your statement.
As I read it, you say "everybody cheatin" and I assume you mean EVERYBODY?
Our Outerlimits ran 87 mph on its BEST day. Usually around 85 and we have plenty of checkered flags. Most of them were very rough water races but none the less, we won with an 85-87 mph boat.
We also raced with apba and passed all of the inspections but couldn't get near the front (some 92+ mph F2 boats).
If I said that ANYONE in apba cheated, I'd probably be getting sued right now.

Dave D
F2-07

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 11:30 PM

dave,

rough water is the only thing that kills cheaters. hey i am not trying to bash. my formula is just as fast as your boat and i won the worlds. all the cheaters in apba have been kicked out. and are in sbi. sorry its the truth.

Treadwell

Treadwellmotorsports 05-01-2002 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and treadwell throws what could be the knockdown. will tx2 get up??????????

DaveP 05-02-2002 12:24 AM

Ok Ok Ok Ok!

It's about time I step in and settle this being that I am friends with DJD, T2x and Treadwell........

OFFSHORE RACING PEACE SUMMIT!!!!!!!!!:D :D

LACE Gentleman's Club - NYC

Special Guests:
DJD, T2x, Treadwell, DaveP..............Boatgirl (via cellphone) and many Ambassadors of Goodwill

What do you say?