Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need answers to "how much does your boat cost?" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23513-need-answers-how-much-does-your-boat-cost.html)

elimi 05-02-2002 02:13 AM

need answers to "how much does your boat cost?"

My wife and I own a 2002 26' eliminator daytona with tribal flames and a 1050 hp motor. Its very shiny and looks cool.
Since we are fairly new at owning a boat like this, we are surprised at the number of peiople that gather at the launch ramp and dock and ask questions. We answer all questions politelyand truthfully and talk to everyone who talks to us.
When someone asks how much we would tell them to guess and we would say higher or lower depending on their answer but not not actually saying the cost.
Anyways,last weekend at the dock I spent about 5 mins going over the boat with a lady who I never met before,taking extra time out of my day to answer all of her questions(before leaving to go boating all day too!)and then answered her question as to how much it costs with the usual guess and i'll telll if you are close.Well, after she learned the approxmate cost she blurts out in front of about 20 people "you guys must be drug dealers cuz' that the only kind of people who can afford something like this"
My wife and I work about 16hrs a day at our business and odn't have a lot social life or time off because we are choosing to make money instead and our new purchase made us feel really good about working our asses off.
We won't be telling anyone any cost now or even ballparking it because of thr rude comment of this lady.
I need a good response to "how much does it cost?" that doesn't come off sounding rude,arrogant or snotty but is also truthful because we are very honest and truthful people who don't like to lie(that's why we used to give ballpark figures when the cost question came up)The response needs to say I don't want to tell you,but not in those exact words.
Please assault us situations that you have been in and different experiences with the price situation.
We would like a lot of ideas so we can put together a good line or lines as summer is coming and so are the questions. Thanks in advance.

Bill272 05-02-2002 02:41 AM

I usually say "Less than a house on the water." Then again, ours is an 89 272 Formula, so it cost quite a bit less than a 2002 new boat (Must be nice...don't you worry about the cops raiding your house in the middle of the night???:eek: ) I've had a couple people say that the boat must cost a fortune, but I point out that they take a couple of weeks vacation, maybe to Disney and a cruise or Cancun every year. My boat costs less per year, I'm out every weekend and sometimes during the week, and I can write off the interest. And I'll get some of my money back down the road, since I bought it used and won't take that new boat depreciation when I sell it (something you drug dealers don't have to worry about.) :D :D ;) :rolleyes:

On the boat is one place where I feel none of the work week stress, get to hang out with friends, watch my kids grow up having a blast in the water, and that's worth every penny.

Audiofn 05-02-2002 02:46 AM

How do you put a price tag on this kind of joy :D:D

NASTY HABIT 05-02-2002 06:29 AM

Just tell them it's less than 10 kilo's :D

I u sually say " more than i care to admit"

mama tryed 05-02-2002 07:01 AM

When asked, I usually reply with" Cost? I'm not sure, but its 500 a month, for the rest of my life":D :D :D

wilerty 05-02-2002 07:22 AM

I usually say it costs less than one very very nice vacation a year but I get to use it all summer.

jbrauer 05-02-2002 07:43 AM

"More than I thought it would, but it's worth every penny!"

RedWarlock 05-02-2002 07:55 AM

Response...

At that point I usually ask what their annual salary is, and base my answer on how they react to that. Most people usually don't feel comfortable discussing it any further, as they usually get the point. If they're comfortable discussing their personal finances, then I usually tell them, IF I feel comfortable with them. :cool:

BadDog 05-02-2002 08:05 AM

I usually say, "less than it is worth to me".

CigDaze 05-02-2002 08:29 AM

Re: Response...

Originally posted by RedWarlock
At that point I usually ask what their annual salary is, and base my answer on how they react to that. Most people usually don't feel comfortable discussing it any further, as they usually get the point. If they're comfortable discussing their personal finances, then I usually tell them, IF I feel comfortable with them. :cool:
That's the same way I approach it...Immediately after the Q, I blurt out "Well, how much do you make a year?" No one actually responds, but they get the point and we usually laugh about it...

Madcow 05-02-2002 08:31 AM

I always say "If you have to ask, it's too much".

thunderdan 05-02-2002 08:35 AM

My usual answer is it depends on if you are asking me or my wife. :D

Padraig 05-02-2002 08:52 AM

My answer depends the situation and the people. I either just smile or tell them that it is none of their f******g business. I am always surprised about how many people ask this question.

Sean 05-02-2002 08:57 AM

I usually say "more than I can really afford"...but I like the annual salary answer...it is a very appropriate response given the inappropriatness of the question.

MooseKnuckle 05-02-2002 09:14 AM

I always tell people it's like a lease...a monthly payment, that usually changes every 2-5 years depending on the new/ newer boat picked out!

Some people at my work think I'm loaded and the company pays me too much money, but my wife and I both have good jobs and just one kid. I also tell them I am very thrifty with our money except for our boat!

Indy 05-02-2002 09:16 AM

For the majority of the folks, I just tell them it cost A LOT and leave it at that. However, if I am talking to a fellow boater and the interest is genuine, I have no problem sharing. I guess it just comes down to the individual and the nature of the request.

boot 05-02-2002 09:32 AM

I say ," I don't know what it is going to cost in the end ,but it costs me something every day " ! :D

It depends on the person asking . Some people have a rude way about it .And some are just nice , envious people . I have found that some people get real weird ,and kind of jelous if they do find out . I find that even some people I have known a long time get alittle attitude when they find out $$ . It some times makes me feel bad to tell . It does feel good when you get some ass h#%e that needs to be put in his place and I tell him '1' of my motors are worth as much as his house ,and my dayly fuel bill is more then he makes all week !:D That shuts them up quick !!:D

Chart 05-02-2002 09:35 AM

"I'd be embassased to tell you. But it's a whole lot more than I thought it was going to be.":o And they usually end up feeling sympthy for you :D

Chart 05-02-2002 09:48 AM

Let me add: Most of these folks don't seek to be rude. They just admire a toy that they don't think they can ever achieve themselves. By saying "You must be drug dealers" she was really saying "You appear so much more successful than I am, that I want your success to be based on something illegal"

The way we respond to this awful question helps reflect how the rest of the world views power boaters. As some of the other posts on restricted waters suggests, we need to be good ambassadors for our recreation.

Phknlwyr 05-02-2002 10:14 AM

"About what it costs to send a kid to a small college...like Harvard."

OR

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Gary Anderson 05-02-2002 10:35 AM

I've had people make the drug dealer comment. I tell them that I just make drugs. Then I give them my business card (Pharmaceutical Company).
BTW, If a cop ever pulls you over, and in the course of speaking with him, he asks you what you do for a living. DO NOT answer "I make drugs". They don't have a sense of humor, but they do have enough spare time to search your car.
Gary

mattyboy 05-02-2002 10:40 AM

almost as much as my 3/4 mental disability pension from the post office. any other questions!
:eek:

Mattyboy

stevebaretta 05-02-2002 10:49 AM

I usually exaggerate and really shock their ass!

Uncle Toys 05-02-2002 11:07 AM

Elimi – I am glad you brought this up. This has been the biggest surprise of owning a powerboat. The first time it happened it totally caught me off guard. I shrugged it off thinking it was a one off deal, but then it keeps happening. Got to admit, I haven’t handled it well.

Sorry I don’t have any suggestions for you, but a couple of suggestions above are pretty good. I think I’ll try NASTY HABIT’s “more that I care to admit.” If that doesn’t work, I’ll move on to Baja Daze’s, “Well, how much do you make a year?” Although I like, and will probably use with personal friends, wilerty’s idea about, “it costs less than one very nice vacation a year,” but I get to use it all year.

The funny thing is, my Dads the worst. He really wants to know, but I am embarrassed to admit to him how much I spend on the boat. He’s a depression era kid, and lived his entire life worrying about the next one. Thinks I should be socking away more money for a rainy day. Any ideas on how to handle him?

CigDaze 05-02-2002 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Toys
Any ideas on how to handle him?
Take him for a ride and tell him to quit worryin' and start livin'

That's what I always say!;) :D

Steamin Rice 05-02-2002 11:42 AM

This is always a hard question to answer, but most people have no problem asking it. For me it's bad when people that I work with say something along the lines of "Wow that is a nice boat, what's it cost, around $15k or so??"

I try to avoid giving a direct answer and say somethng vague like "a little bit more than that" and most people get the hint. I like some of the other suggestions and will give them a try.......

Budman 05-02-2002 11:50 AM

Gee, no one ever asks me that!

I guess that means it's time to trade the old boat in for a new one! :D

NOT!! - We're expecting our first soon, so I guess I'll just be another envious bystander! Oh well, old boats are fun too - when I'm not working on it!

Tee 05-02-2002 12:37 PM

I love this question!!!!!!!!!

Depending on the situation, I have several answers to this question......

1) Less than my last divorce cost me :mad:

2) Let me put it this way. I will be making payments on this boat for a few years longer than I will be paying child support... (My daughter is six, I use this one for when I have her with me and the people asking have kids) :D

3) Alot less than my therapist used too :p

4) I don't know yet. Get back with me when I have sold it and can add it all up ;)

5) More than some of my friends boats cost... and less than some others.....

6) Who cares what it costs......I love it.........:)

Turbojack 05-02-2002 12:41 PM

elmi
I use "more than I paid for my house, but I have an old house" After that they do not know what to think about it. I do like the "how much money do you make?"

UT
You bring up a good point. My dad is about the same but he is afraid to ask me for what I would tell him. I guess I could say about 5 times what he paid for his house. I remember when I was just out of high school I asked a guy at work what he paid for the new jeep he had just gotten. I think he told me about $4000.00. I told him I could not see why he spent that much money for that jeep. He said that the price you pay is what it is worth to you. To him that was a fair price. He then turned it around on me & asked what I paid for my boat.

I degress, back to the dad problem. I would tell him $ & along with that I would say that you feel this is a good way for the family to be together. When wife & I take off for lake & our 20 year old son & his friends are amost always with us. He gets upset when we go to lake & don't tell him. Aaaahhh, tables are turning.

Advantage_Rob 05-02-2002 12:58 PM

Re: need answers to "how much does your boat cost?"

Originally posted by elimi
she blurts out in front of about 20 people "you guys must be drug dealers cuz' that the only kind of people who can afford something like this"
At this point, you say "what's it to you" "Do you need some or something"?? usually followed be a gasp and astounded stare, then you follow up with "then get out of here before I stab you in the face with an ice pick"

Works every time!! LOL!!! Just kidding!! I think we all get it, but what do you do, take the good with the bad?

Airpacker 05-02-2002 01:00 PM

i usually use "Think 6 figures,more or less" and leave it at that.If they continue to ask,I usually ask if they think they can afford one on what they make.If they answer yes,I will tell them waht it cost.If they answer NO,then I reply "then why are you asking".

PS,Elimi,what speed #s you get for us eliminator guys,have you nailed it to the dash yet?

BADA BING 05-02-2002 01:00 PM

The above replies are some really good responses that I think I may use, depending on what person is asking and how they ask.

For myself I find this question coming from those guys we call Ramp Rats...you know the guys with no teeth that hang out at the ramp and talk about there past days and trying to get a ride on your boat, or it's the average teenager going fishing with his friend and his uncle...I think when I get this question they just want to know if I am a drug dealer or not, but then I just ignore the question and ask my wife to bring the baby from the truck.

If they persist in the question then I just respond with...let's just say I have good credit and if they want what I got they should call their bank.:)

HavasuCat 05-02-2002 01:11 PM

I have had numerous people ask the $$ question. I usually just tell them, I really don't care what they think. I then sometimes get the "you are to young to afford something like that". I have found that alot of people underestimate the cost of the boat. They think you can get one for around 50k, and I tell them it is more than twice that and they are shocked.

MikeStar 05-02-2002 01:19 PM

Kind of funny how clueless non-boating types can be when it comes to the price you pay to play. My brother is a good example, smart guy, University of Michigan MBA, financial planner for Merrill Lynch, etc.

He comes out to the boat with the Admiral and I. We get the boat ready to head out, and I mention to the Mrs that I'm going to stop at the fuel dock and fill up. My brother overhears and (tries to) slip the Mrs a $10.00 "for gas". I asked him what he wanted me to do once I started it... :)

Conversation moves on into the details and he wants to know how big the tank is, "25 or 30 gallons?" Try 100.

"How much gas do you use in a weekend?"

"Maybe 3/4, maybe a tank and a half, depending on how much running we do. At $2.50 a gallon."

"oh."

:)

MIdnightRider 05-02-2002 02:03 PM

It's too bad that the cost should be an outsiders interest. It's only natural, but it always makes me feel a little guilty for what I have. That's not really fair, but such is life. I had some boats at my house the last two weeks working on them for friends, and finishing my old boat which I had sold. Then I brought my 45' trailer home for my Fountain for several days before finding it a summer home. My retired neighbor says to me yesterday, "June and I were just saying, You must be just getting rich, we see you buying new boats all the time." I laughed and said, " Yeah, If I didn't have some many toys, I wouldn't have to live in such a small house next to people like you!". He laughed and didn't say anything else. :D

hp500efi 05-02-2002 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Fever Mike
I get the same thing with my 2000 Fountain 29 Fever. It is usually a couple standing there with 3 kids. I tell them my wife and I don't have kids and all there expense or college to save for and the boat is our kid!
Mike C.

Just think how I feel when people ask me and I have the wife and my three kids on board :) It's funny, some people just don't ask. They must realize that my wife and I have our hands full with the three kids and don't need any questions from the dock :)

Shane 05-02-2002 04:10 PM

I was actually the second owner of my boat. So what I do is say "to replace this boat the way you see it here is about $120,000." I do like some of the ones you guys posted. Great thread!

Shane:cool:

NASTY HABIT 05-02-2002 04:10 PM

.. i can somewhat relate to the Dad delima.. ove the yrs my father has asked what i have paid for some of the toys i have gone thru..My parents always being well off but very very prudent in thier spending made me feel as though i was wiasting money all the time... they never said it but i just felt that way..I tell them all in great detail if they ask...and have come to find out that even though they don't always agree, they do have a sense of pride that I have become what I have and can afford to do what i do albeit.. i do not have 6 figure boat YET !! they even ask about dif projects I am working on and really do have a interest in my hobbies...

eyezlee 05-02-2002 04:17 PM

awesome thread

I agree with indy

I just tell them it cost A LOT and leave it at that. However, if I am talking to a fellow boater and the interest is genuine, I have no problem sharing.
But then again I have not had anyone just persist. I am going to try and remember some of these for the future.

Actually sometimes I'm embarassed to even tell people how big of a boat it is (only 28'). They're always "oh man that's huge!" I always think to myself, if you only knew what I wish I had... :rolleyes:

jdnca1 05-02-2002 04:34 PM

This is a great thread...

I usually just say "Too Much"..99% of people will not follow up to a vague answer like that. Or I'll point to a bigger boat than mine and say "A lot less than that one". I've never really had anyone press me, but if they ever do I will piggy back Baja and say "what is your annual income" if they tell me I'll let them know if they could afford one or not.