Notices

Just Once....

Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Jim,

I have a 2007 32 skater with Arnesons asd7's bam trans about 700hp. Never had any issue with the trans and have quite a bit a time on the trans.If you are running 4 blade props the boat my ran fast but way too much harmonics. The vibration and chatter was stupid. 5 Blades resolved all issues.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I warned you about this before... you need the super cyborg 1500 dry sumps... only thing that worked for me...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The cable clamp is on the driveshaft guard, since that is where Nortech puts them. I have done numerous Nortechs in the past and they are all located on the driveshaft guard.
That isn't the brightest spot for them........ I understand that it is tricky to get them mounted, but Marc is right that things can and will move around, and that shifter cable could wiggle its way out of gear.

Last edited by Coolerman; 07-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain4play
Just once I'd like to go out boating and not have something breakdown... After spending a ton of money on motor and drive upgrades it seems the weakest link are the transmissions hands down...

This is the third time in a little over a year that I've had reverse fail on a transmission... And before anyone chimes in NO it wasn't subjected to anything other than idle rpm and nowhere near the so called 2,000 rpm limit....

They are so pathetically fragile there has to be a better solution... I'll surmise that these transmissions have oh maybe three hours on them total and probably not that much. The wife and I just got back from a nice little spin and one of them just quit going into reverse...

If anyone has any reasonably priced solution I'm open for suggestions... This is getting ridiculous and I need to find something that will last an entire season....
I'm sure BAM should be able to fix your problem. Tyson and I have Speed Shift Transmisions and as Tyson said its probably an over kill for your boat. I have 1375hp per side in a 46 Skater and couldn't get anything to stay alive going forward!! I run hard so we built some Two Speed transmisions that hold up in forward and revese. You can even back off a trailer or beach and they wont smoke and or burn up. We raced to Bimini and back and they held up great as well. We took first in piston class by the way If anybody wants some they are 12000.00 ea. Please call 316-648-2414 for info or to order a set. Thanks, Jim Lee
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
That isn't the brightest spot for them........ I understand that it is tricky to get them mounted, but Marc is right that things can and will move around, and that shifter cable could wiggle its way out of gear.
Although it isn't the best option, the driveshaft guard is attached to the trans, not the transom plate. If it moves it will move with the engine and trans. Therefore, it shouldn't come out of gear.
Eddie
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Although it isn't the best option, the driveshaft guard is attached to the trans, not the transom plate. If it moves it will move with the engine and trans. Therefore, it shouldn't come out of gear.
Eddie
gotcha
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
At least you didn't have to remove the motor. My experience with BAM tansmissions is if they last 10 hours they will hold up and work fine. The repetitive failures before 10 hours I still haven't figured out. Just get them rebuilt and once they last 10 hours your good to go. Dumb logic I know.
did you switch to the valvoline type F? We would blow at least one bam or huber dry-sump a year. Then when we switched to valvoline fluid, and we haven't blown one in 6 yrs.... maybe it's just dumb luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

how's the alignment..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Jass, alignment is a frequent problem, but I don't think it will kill reverse. I'm waiting to see the dead units so we can figure out what happened.

We started making a linkage kit, solves a lot of problems. Accommodates top mount starters on either side, push or pull for forward.
Attached Thumbnails Just Once....-cyborglinkage.jpg