Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Clubs or Boat Groups that Give Back? Do Charitable Things? >

Boat Clubs or Boat Groups that Give Back? Do Charitable Things?

Notices

Boat Clubs or Boat Groups that Give Back? Do Charitable Things?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
The Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association supports several charities each year. We support the Great Chesapeake Bay swim as the patrol boat fleet. That event has raised in excess of 1 million dollars for the March of Dimes and several other charities. We also hold the original Leukemia/Lymphoma Society Poker Run each June, having raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Society's local chapter and helping other chapters set up their own in other parts of the country. And the past 2 years we have raised over $10,000 each year for Special Olympics by having a team for the Polar Bear Plunge held each year in January, literally freezing our azzes off

Some years they even raise money as Polar Bears standing on the beach looking at the cold water.
Its a new " Anti Shrinkage Program"
Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
NewYork State Powerboat Inc.

6 years running have supported Make A Wish through their run on Lake Oneida.
Very active volunteer group.

Kudos to all the clubs that give back.
Dave,

This is the one I told you about last night.

I will be shooting from a chopper tomorrow for this event.

All the details are here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...make-wish.html

Sharkey-Images has also offered to donate some of the proceeds....
All Pre-Sale Photo Orders from this event that are SHIPPED prior to August 14th,
SHARKEY-IMAGES will DONATE $10 per order to Make-A-Wish

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave

When we were doing Smoke On The Water we were the Make A Wish of Michigans's Largest outside income producer.

Not to mention the hundreds of boat rides that the kids get to go on in many of these events. I think that the kids really benifit from that as well

Shore dreams is one very cool thing you guys do

Keep up the great work
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we just started the CPBA (connecticut performance boating association) and our goal when we started was to do chraitable things for places like connecticut childerens hospital and other venues who help people.

We wanted to start something to make people aware of performance boaters and the fact that we are caring people who want to help the comunity as well as preserve boaters rights.

Since we are only a few months old and just getting up and running we havent had the funds or the members to really get anything signifigant going.
I had worked on Paul newmans race cars in the past and his generosity always made me want to do something like this but I never had the avenue.

Now with the CPBA I am hoping we can get enough members and get a good event together to really make a difference.

My wife and daughter got very sick when she was born and I spent a few weeks with my daughter in the PICU at CCMC so that facility is important to me,but there are allot of good places that need money to help people in need.

the important thing is making sure the money goes to good use.

One of our members does the CT river run maybe you could look into that. we are hoping to get on board as a club and help him out with that event this year if we can get starightened out financially and get all our paperwork in order.

right now I am running the club alone and we still have a small amount of members so its been an uphill battle.

Last edited by 30ctsutphen; 07-30-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
SCOPE's annual poker run provides a charitible donation of $25,000-30,000 from the proceeds each year. I'll get you some more info (links) later tonight.

I was wrong......in 2007 it was a litle over $21K and in 2008 it was a little over $24K.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Clubs or Boat Groups that Give Back? Do Charitable Things?-img_4366-1024.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SCOPE 2008 FD Thank You.pdf (234.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Two good organizations come to mind.

The Performance Boat Club Of Canada

This club doesnt boat without charity involved.
Consistently 40-50k per year raised.

And.........the P.B.C.C. held its very first charity poker run in August 1991 in benefit of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind's summer camp for kids.

I organized it and many, many more for the 16 yrs I was on the club's board as a director and poker run organizer and ten as V.P.
Good deeds for those less fortunate was always a driving force behind my involvement with the club.
In 1992, the club adopted the charity aspect into its charter and we as a club are still doing great things for those in need.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Boyne Thunder Poker Run. www.boynethunder.com
Raises money for Camp Quality....summer camp for kids with cancer. $160,000 over the last 6 years.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered

I gotta say guys, reading this thread gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling all over.

Good job.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As T500s/Russ posted the RPBA donates all its proceeds to the Shriners Hospitals for Children. Last year our donation was $18,000.00. Our event grew this year too 118 boats and with still a few expenses to take care of from the event 3 weeks ago it looks like our donation too them this year will be $25,000.00
Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am President of a boaters organization that does benefits throughout the year to give back to locals and the boys and girls club.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.