Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Garmin to Gaffrig GPS connections? >

Garmin to Gaffrig GPS connections?

Notices

Garmin to Gaffrig GPS connections?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin to Gaffrig GPS connections?

OK, I've read all of the forums concerning my problem and cannot find a solution. I bought a Garmin 430 chartplotter in hopes that It could swing double duty and provide a signal for my Gaffrig GPS speedo, as the hockey puck style antenna battery died last year. I hooked the blue NMEA wire from the Garmin to the very small Gaffrig orange wire which goes to the signal input of the Gaffrig. I then activated the NMEA port on the Garmin, like everyone said and it does not work. There are at least 30 different settings in the communications section of the Garmin and I have no idea what they are. I have searched the owners manual and it makes no mention of any of these. Does anyone know which settings I have to select to make this thing work? Maybe I used the wrong wires on the Gaffrig???Thanks... Bob Mulac
Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Garmin 478; the Garmin 478 has two NMEA 0183 data output wires (blue and purple). I connect the blue output wire to the orange S terminal on the back of my Livorsi gauge and set the GPS baud rate (in the Menu options) to 4800. It worked for me. You have to remember to set the baud rate to 4800.

Originally Posted by 34Mach1
OK, I've read all of the forums concerning my problem and cannot find a solution. I bought a Garmin 430 chartplotter in hopes that It could swing double duty and provide a signal for my Gaffrig GPS speedo, as the hockey puck style antenna battery died last year. I hooked the blue NMEA wire from the Garmin to the very small Gaffrig orange wire which goes to the signal input of the Gaffrig. I then activated the NMEA port on the Garmin, like everyone said and it does not work. There are at least 30 different settings in the communications section of the Garmin and I have no idea what they are. I have searched the owners manual and it makes no mention of any of these. Does anyone know which settings I have to select to make this thing work? Maybe I used the wrong wires on the Gaffrig???Thanks... Bob Mulac