Like Tree0Likes

Thinking about a bigger boat

Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

My Boats: Old 24 ciggie, 382 fastech, and a big Ole beaker
Default Thinking about a bigger boat

To get this out of the way first, MY BOAT IS NOT FOR SALE,(Yet )

Sorry if this gets long...

The wife and I have been thinking about moving into a bigger boat. We really enjoy spending long weekends on the boat, and the accommodations of a flat deck 24 cig with bulkeads is less than 5 star. We make it work, but would really like something with a little more space. I absolutely love my Cigarette, but I am considering some other boats.

We travel a lot with the boat, and I enjoy boating in FL and the Carolinas. I want to be in the 30-38' range, and I would prefer the upper end of that length range if possible. I tow with a 1 ton dually, so for the most part towing a bigger boat should be a non-issue.

I learned how to operate a boat on a 30' Velocity, and I may have the opportunity to buy the exact boat back, but I'm not sure it is what I want. I really love the ride and the quality of the Cig, it will take a pounding and never seems to complain. The Velocity was a great boat, but I have heard some negatives about the late 80's boats. Wiring issues and even some layup problems. I don't want something that is going to crack up on me. I love the speed and efficiency of that hull, but I also love the rock solid feel of a big heavy deep Vee boat.

I also have my sights on a 35 mistress. I know the boat will be much slower with equal power, but I am sold on the quality and strength of the cigs. There are a few boats out there that I LOVE (TxHawks 40' excalibur is one of them) but I don't want a boat payment, so that puts us in the 30k or less category.

What opinions do people have on either of these boats? Can I find what I'm looking for that price range? What other boats out there might be worth a look? ... or should I just stick with what I have.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 31 Formula PC and a 1988 28 Pantera for sale

Maybe a 31 Sonic or bigger I like everything the Sonic has. You going to the Cumberland Poker Run?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

The 38' Top Gun is the way to go. They perform great with 525's. Get a t/s and you'll do great in the rough. A flat bottom Cig has a full cabin, but is slower.

The 35' Sonic, also is a great boat! Seems to have alot of headroom in the cabin, by what i've seen.

And if you want speed combined with luxury comfort, go with a 35' Formula FasTech.

Whats your budget?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: Old 24 ciggie, 382 fastech, and a big Ole beaker

Don't know much about sonics, but I'll see what's out there. I wish we could make the poker run, but I don't think we will this year.

MiniHawk, I agree with all your suggestions, but I'm trying to stick to a $30k budget. I'm into projects and old-school equipment, so age doesn't scare me, but I don't want a boat payment right now.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHawk View Post
The 38' Top Gun is the way to go. They perform great with 525's. Get a t/s and you'll do great in the rough. A flat bottom Cig has a full cabin, but is slower.
For that matter the 50' Maurader is also a good choice, especially with staggered 1350's.

RT - I know you said 30k, and I might be biased but if you wanted to stay with the family I feel like our cafe is VERY liveable for a couple nights. Built in Cooler, enclosed bathroom, sink, roomy V-berth. My wife and I overnight probably between 12 and 15 nights a year on it.

Just a thought..... You could get one that needed a little TLC and have some "project" to indulge in...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT930turbo View Post
Don't know much about sonics, but I'll see what's out there. I wish we could make the poker run, but I don't think we will this year.

MiniHawk, I agree with all your suggestions, but I'm trying to stick to a $30k budget. I'm into projects and old-school equipment, so age doesn't scare me, but I don't want a boat payment right now.
There are a few projects and older Cigs floating around that you might be able to find that best suits your needs within a 30k budget.
I'd hop around on the OSO Classifieds here and see what you can dig up, and if not, I have a website you can check out.

Sam
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Velocity 320

How about an older Excalibur? I know of an old school 32' Excalibur with 9' beam and tons of room in cockpit and cabin. Front raised deck so great headroom for a 32', gen, a/c, surface drives, think it was available with or without power- search on racingjunk.com or pm if interested and I'll get a number.
I'd have been interested in this for a cool old school weekender if I hadn't just bought the Velocity.
Rick
Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Registered

My Boats: Advantage 28ft Sport Cat w/ pair of 8's

Don't rule out a nice Scarab as well. There are some very nice ones available in 30+ ft , that fit your price range.

Darrell.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: Excalibur 27 Flat Deck Restomod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT930turbo View Post
To get this out of the way first, MY BOAT IS NOT FOR SALE,(Yet )
There are a few boats out there that I LOVE (TxHawks 40' excalibur is one of them) but I don't want a boat payment, so that puts us in the 30k or less category.
Did you get my PM?

Maybe you need a little encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about a bigger boat-excalibur-3-large-.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Registered

sounds like the right priced Bullet might be your boat