39' Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?

Notices

39' Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scanshift
the prior owner told me it weighed 8000 lbs without engine and drives.
Does it have any Armor?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8000lbs my arse!!! One similar to it broke a 12,000lbs hitch of the back of a 2004 Chevy dually twice. Not the ball. The one attached to the underside of the truck. There is a reason why you never see any with outboards. The hullsides are over 3/4 of an inch thick not to mention the deck. They also had gun mounts on the deck and at the stern.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the prior owner told me it weighed 8000 lbs without engine and drives.
14000.lbs dry with power and drives.
The following users liked this post:
RedBoatFl (05-04-2022)
Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 300 verados should get ya aorund 80, with a decent cruise burn ratio
Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve 1
Next time you get down to Miami stop by and check it out. The boat does not have any armour, but it appears that it is a kevlar inner and outer skin, with foam in between.

The reason the boat is not as heavy as it would appear to be, is that is was parachuted out of the back of a C-130. The parachute attachment points are still there.

Here is a pic with it decked out with its 50 cals
Attached Thumbnails 39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?-halter%2520guns.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

picture of an hsb being loaded on a c5
Attached Thumbnails 39'  Nayy Seal HSB outboard options?-hartzel2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

That is very cool thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve 1
Next time you get down to Miami stop by and check it out. The boat does not have any armour, but it appears that it is a kevlar inner and outer skin, with foam in between.

The reason the boat is not as heavy as it would appear to be, is that is was parachuted out of the back of a C-130. The parachute attachment points are still there.

Here is a pic with it decked out with its 50 cals
Actually, that is the reason why it is so heavy. The bottom, hull sides, and deck had to be able to withstand the impact of the drop. The SEAL teams used these boats a lot for interdiction purposes. They had Innovation Marine(of Sarasota) power-plants. 850's and 650's, I believe, with No.3 Speedmasters. None that I have seen, have had the armor still attached. I have seen some with very large caliber bullet holes in them.

It will be able to take any sea that you throw at it. It is built like a tank!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Look it over carefully, for demil purposes, te navy likes to ram a forklift into the sides several times. They come up for auction from time to time on govt. liquidators. THere is also one in Fl. I think that keeps popping up on ebay and you can see the patches.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BattleCry
Actually, that is the reason why it is so heavy. The bottom, hull sides, and deck had to be able to withstand the impact of the drop. The SEAL teams used these boats a lot for interdiction purposes. They had Innovation Marine(of Sarasota) power-plants. 850's and 650's, I believe, with No.3 Speedmasters. None that I have seen, have had the armor still attached. I have seen some with very large caliber bullet holes in them.

It will be able to take any sea that you throw at it. It is built like a tank!!!

Well said. Ya have to remember that these boats are implements of war, and built for that purpose. I'm a former SEAL and also was assigned at Special Boat Unit 12 in Coronado. We had HSB's at the time. Before the USMI boats were online, The unit had Fountains. And while they are great boats, and fast, they simply are not built to withstand the rigors of Combat. The HSB's will handle tasks that would simply crush a normal pleasure boat. Imagine slamming a pleasure boat up against a 900ft ship in the black of night, traveling at 15knots, with 10ft swells beating against it. This would crush the gunwales of a normal pleasure boat.The HSB took it in stride.They are great boats for the mission they were assigned. No, they are not the fastest boat out there, but they will handle SERIOUS weather with ease, and still get ya home. I've been in the HSB's maintaining 60 knots in some very, very nasty seas. Just a few cool features of the boat... each motor had two separate ignition systems. If one failed, simply switch to the secondary ignition and keep running.

As for the outboards, I'm not too sure on that. These are very heavy boats, and I don't think outboards are the way to go.

BTW. I still have a copy of the US Navy maintenance/service/ rebuild manual for the Innovation 557 motors for the HSB's. I could copy it if any owners were interested.

Darrell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.