Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fiore On Outerlimits Engine Program >

Fiore On Outerlimits Engine Program

Notices

Fiore On Outerlimits Engine Program

Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime someone talks about diesel here the "Gale Banks" duramax and supports jump all over it and say "see, see if it had that" or "Gale Banks has one".

Truth is if they had it for the 4 years people on here talked about it you would have seen it, you don't even see test mules or offshore type running beta's let alone a production engine you can purchase - I thnk that closes the book there for now (I hope they do it). HabanaJoe

GM sold Banks the motors for the Marine project because they didn't have the expertise and experience Banks had in the Marine environment. Their Marine project went slowly because GM was reluctant to supply more than just a few engines. Now, with Dmax production ramped up at GM, more motors are coming to Banks. Very soon now, Banks will enter into a project with(I believe) IMCO to test motors in different boats.

As I reported, the Coast Guard, or Homeland Security, got the first two motors. Pleasure boats will be next. I would like to see Skater, MTI, Nor-Tech, Cigarette and others get involved with these motors. They are cutting-edge on the diesel front.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I hear you. To some extent, there really is "nothing new under the sun." Improvements do tend to be incremental, and I think it is important to remind people of what's gone on before. Buzzi and Scioli and others contributed a lot on the diesel side of offshore performance. Credit does need to go where it's due.

You and others have piqued my interest enough to follow up with more detail from Mike Fiore at Outerlimits. Look for another piece to post (if I can catch him) later today.

And thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I hear you. To some extent, there really is "nothing new under the sun." Improvements do tend to be incremental, and I think it is important to remind people of what's gone on before. Buzzi and Scioli and others contributed a lot on the diesel side of offshore performance. Credit does need to go where it's due.

You and others have piqued my interest enough to follow up with more detail from Mike Fiore at Outerlimits. Look for another piece to post (if I can catch him) later today.

And thanks for the encouragement.
PLEASE LOOK INTO TOMMY BAHAMA MTI THEY SPENT A FEW YEARS DEVELOPING A DURAMAX. THEY ALSO RACE DIESELS BEFORE THE MTI
Old 08-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

OK what about the "Tommy Bahama MTI" - where is it, when did it run, etc, etc, etc - Unless you know different I call these failed experiments, prove me wrong?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While its not diesel, here's a little 509ci engine from Outerlimits, 110 octane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYghs9OGxY
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

That's cool.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im no rocket scientist but I think its great!. There is no reason Mercury Racing needs to be the only game in town. Outerlimits needs to do it, Nortech needs to do it, and Zul needs to do it. Im sorry but Richie Zul had a great thing going and for Mercury to threaten Cig, etc is not fair. There needs to be competition in the marketplace. It wasnt a bad thing to be able to get a Top Gun with NA Zul motors in it. Sorry, but my .02
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did any 44SL's make the shootout? I'm guessing not.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't see any. I was looking hard for one because I really wanted to check one out in person. They build a beautiful boat and I would love to climb around in one and scope it out.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it would be safe to say that an Outerlimits built engine would be first class, just like thier boats.