Notices

Guest Etiquette

Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never ask for anyone to pay or even accept anything for gas, food, drinks, or whatever. They are my guest and I am going out anyway. I bring food and plenty of beverages for them to enjoy. But, if they want something different. They can bring their own. I am always the DD. Its my boat so I am the responsible one. When we get back to the dock. Normally the girls head back. But the guys stay to help wipe down and cover the boat. Thats worth alot to me right there.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THE 288 KID
Nobody has respect anymore, or pride in contributing there fair share with out it being suggested, or in many cases demanded of them. Specially this new generation of punk ass college kids that don't work and live on mommy and daddys credit cards cause there going to school "full time" yet go out drinking every night! My buddies run around with a bunch of freeloader college kids that do nothing but devour food and beer and space on his boat. Drove me nuts since I always bought the beer, pulled the boat with my truck and paid for all the diesel fuel plus chipped him boat gas money and helped with slip rent. He wouldn't step up to these people or point out that everyone needs to help out and basically told me tough ****, don't like it don't come. 2 weeks later I bought my boat, he has nothing to pull his with and has to buy all his own beer and everyone elses, and my time on the water has never been better :-)
On the "new" generation, you called it correctly. What is truly sad, THEY EXPECT IT.

Great thread. IMHO it comes down to simply terms. Some great it----------and some don't. The ones that don't, please don't try to change them. Can't be done. Just embrace those that do-------GET IT.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Moses must be a CT thing.LOL

It depends whos coming on board really If it was for business type things I obviously would pick up the whole tab, everything!

If its acquaitances that I have on board, Id probably let them pick up driinks or some food etc. No gas though because I invited them to enjoy and experience the passion of performance boating.

If its my deadbeat, free loading buddies(LOL) I say "your Lazy AZZ is on my boat all the time the least you can do is kick in some cash for expenses like fuel food etc".

They do the same thing with me on thier toys (planes etc) though so its probably a wash.LOL

I mean when its your BOYS you know and they know what all this stuff costs. They know its cheaper to kick in on my boat than buy thier own and usually they are appreciative they can come out on the boat whenever they want.

Its just different with your good (real) freinds who hang out all the time.

I do expect the guys to stick around and help clean the boat. My boat gets washed at the car wash from top to bottom EVERY time it goes out.

Some of my buddies whine about helping clean it up, and they dont get invited too often.LOL

Last edited by 30ctsutphen; 08-26-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Moses must be a CT thing.LOL

I mean when its your BOYS you know and they know what all this stuff costs. They know its cheaper to kick in on my boat than buy thier own and usually they are appreciative they can come out on the boat whenever they want.
Usually I only bring parts of my crew with me...if its someone whom I rarely see or hang out with, i would cover everything including food and drinks.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Registered

wow, alot of different opinions here!! i particularly like the one about "if you cant afford gas, you shouldnt have a boat anyways" or something like that!! seriously?? guess i need to sell my boats right away then!! none of my friends have boats, so none of them know anything about care/maintenance/fuel or anything. i gladly accept donations for gas money. i now have an established "a list" that has learned the ways of the water, if you will and have hung around, coincidentally, and seen how long it takes me to clean the boat after a day out. since then, they always stay and help. they also realize that if they put up some gas $$, we can go out more often, which benefits them directly. with this group i have recently started declining gas money, since the help is more appreciated. when taking new people on the boat i have zero problems accepting donations though. in fact, i like to see it. it shows that they respect the fact that i am spending alot of $$ (to me, a less fortunate person) to go out on the water.

keep in mind, not everyone is as fortunate as you, to some people $150 in gas IS alot of money. to say that i shouldnt have a boat because of that is absolutely rediculous!!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

wow, alot of different opinions here!! i particularly like the one about "if you cant afford gas, you shouldnt have a boat anyways" or something like that!! seriously?? guess i need to sell my boats right away then!! none of my friends have boats, so none of them know anything about care/maintenance/fuel or anything. i gladly accept donations for gas money. i now have an established "a list" that has learned the ways of the water, if you will and have hung around, coincidentally, and seen how long it takes me to clean the boat after a day out. since then, they always stay and help. they also realize that if they put up some gas $$, we can go out more often, which benefits them directly. with this group i have recently started declining gas money, since the help is more appreciated. when taking new people on the boat i have zero problems accepting donations though. in fact, i like to see it. it shows that they respect the fact that i am spending alot of $$ (to me, a less fortunate person) to go out on the water.

keep in mind, not everyone is as fortunate as you, to some people $150 in gas IS alot of money. to say that i shouldnt have a boat because of that is absolutely rediculous!!
agreed...a lot of this discussion is based upon perspective.

along with guests "getting it" and "not getting it"...members have to realize/understand/accept the circumstances surrounding a boat owners decision to accept or decline money...circumstances that include: age, financial status, guest relationships, etc

i dont accept money because i am cheap. i do it for a variety of reasons including the ones mentioned above. as hawk stated, not everyone is fortunate to have a lot of money. i love boating, so to be out on the water enjoying friends and family at any cost is good enough for me.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I consider my boat my cottage on the lake and only invite close friends/relatives for a visit. Never expect gas money but if they ask what to bring we'll suggest something to eat and/or drink.
ed
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

I have had people offer money for gas in the past, it was really nice of them to offer, but not at all necessary. Guests are just that. Besides, I don't have that many friends that still like me. So if I charge them, I may just lose the few I have left.

And really... I am so far into paying for things on this boat, it would be like asking the local kids down the block to use their lemonade stand earnings to pay toward the federal deficit. It wouldn't really make even a dent.

But if someone gets on board and says, "hey I hope you guys like wine because I brought a couple bottles" then that is definitely okay.