Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???

Notices

Surface Drives on Cats, Why Not???

Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac
Docking is actually pretty easy , as long as they idle well. But I agree at slow speeds they tend to wander, remember the steering wheel has no use docking or a slow speeds , you turn them with the shifters
And if you lose an engine or transmission, they don't like to drive or idle in a straight line on one engine.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also the some boats are made specific to drive or surface drive.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
And if you lose an engine or transmission, they don't like to drive or idle in a straight line on one engine.

Yep, it is a very fine balance between thrust from the engine and tilt of the rudder to keep it going straight, but HP engines don't break much right?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what's the involved with converting a boat set up for Bravos over to Arnesons? Is there and easy way to do so?Cost?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Arneson does/did make a Bravo conversion kit. Remember that you have to add a transmission because a Bravo shifts forward/reverse and a surface drive doesn't. The Arneson put the trans in the drop box to solve that problem. I'm sure Rik at Arneson can answer any questions you have (if he doesn't come on this thread LOL).
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SS930
So what's the involved with converting a boat set up for Bravos over to Arnesons? Is there and easy way to do so?Cost?
Arneson Industries offers a alternative to the Bravo™, the ASD6 Arneson Surface Drive™ Kit. With both right and left hand rotations, combined with our stand off box, Arneson Industries offer a real solution to costly Outdrive repairs and proven reliable performance.

Developed as an Arneson replacement for the *Bravo™ with our own standoff box that allows the engine to remain in the current location. Coupled with a Velvet Drive™ transmission, the Arneson Surface Drive™ couples to the standoff box that houses the transmission, enabling the balance (CG) to stay the same as well as maintain current engine room configuration. This also saves valuable engine room space saving the rear seat area for your use and eliminating any hatch modifications.

The Arneson Standoff Box covers the existing holes that are in the boat's transom from the Bravo™ or other outdrive. Removing the need to plug holes or cutouts. Simply mount the Arneson Standoff Box, which is predrilled and O-ringed for the ASD6 Drive Unit, and your drive installation is complete. Hydraulic thru-hull fittings are included pre-mounted in the standoff box.

The ASD6 Kit is ideal for new installations where by you want a reliable high performance outdrive on your new boat. Installation takes just a few short hours and requires the use of a drill, and a few hand tools.

The ASD6 Conversion Kit allows the use of an Arneson Surface Drive ASD6 Drive Unit in place of a conventional I/O Unit. The ASD6 Conversion Kit maintains the engines current I/O For/Aft location, maintaining the boats current engine CG placement.

Arneson Bravo Conversion

What a great idea!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off there is gear loss ,Drive showers LOL where is the heat coming from?? turn over a outdrive then a Arneson drive ,I worked on the first two cats with Arneson drives, we used counter rotating engines in those days ,the boats were like perfectly balanced ,handled and ran very good.

Myself I like the system.

When I was overseas ,the military had Asd-8s on some of the boats and I have seen 6 blade rollas reduced to a nub from beating on the hard azzed rock bottom and the drives nothing no damage,replace the prop and back on patrol.

Last edited by Steve 1; 09-02-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
My friends with rudder boats tell me they are very difficult to steer at slow speed and docking is tough. I do not think Arensons are cheaper than a six. And a rudder boat can be very pricey.
Brad, who say's you have to use a Rudder with an Arneson? Arneson Steering and Trim and always have. Yes we make a rudder and such but that is not the only way to go.

As fas as price, definitely, Arnesons cost less $$ than a #6.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Arneson Industries offers a alternative to the Bravo™, the ASD6 Arneson Surface Drive™ Kit. With both right and left hand rotations, combined with our stand off box, Arneson Industries offer a real solution to costly Outdrive repairs and proven reliable performance.

Developed as an Arneson replacement for the *Bravo™ with our own standoff box that allows the engine to remain in the current location. Coupled with a Velvet Drive™ transmission, the Arneson Surface Drive™ couples to the standoff box that houses the transmission, enabling the balance (CG) to stay the same as well as maintain current engine room configuration. This also saves valuable engine room space saving the rear seat area for your use and eliminating any hatch modifications.

The Arneson Standoff Box covers the existing holes that are in the boat's transom from the Bravo™ or other outdrive. Removing the need to plug holes or cutouts. Simply mount the Arneson Standoff Box, which is predrilled and O-ringed for the ASD6 Drive Unit, and your drive installation is complete. Hydraulic thru-hull fittings are included pre-mounted in the standoff box.

The ASD6 Kit is ideal for new installations where by you want a reliable high performance outdrive on your new boat. Installation takes just a few short hours and requires the use of a drill, and a few hand tools.

The ASD6 Conversion Kit allows the use of an Arneson Surface Drive ASD6 Drive Unit in place of a conventional I/O Unit. The ASD6 Conversion Kit maintains the engines current I/O For/Aft location, maintaining the boats current engine CG placement.

Arneson Bravo Conversion

What a great idea!
Sounds fantastic... I wish the price for this was listed!

Rik, what would it cost to convert over two bravo/xr's to this system?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My favorite 38 Powerplay 81 MPH 440 Yanmars 2 speed ZF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.