Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best time to buy?  Now, early winter, wait till early 2011? >

Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Notices

Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to buy? Now, early winter, wait till early 2011?

Hello,

First post here but I've been reading for quite some time. Found my way on here through a member that I know and been partying on his boat this summer.

Question is... whens the best time price wise to make a boat purchase?

-Now? I'm thinking that those that have boats for sale either want to move on them relatively quick to avoid additional storage expenses.

-Winter? Wait until its completely off season and hope for a better deal?

-Early 2011/before spring? Concerned that prices may start to come up a little just before the boating season begins.

Thoughts?

I'm in the market for a relatively small boat, been looking at a Baja 272. Original budget was $20k, but the one I looked at for $20k requires a lot of work. Guess I'll need to over extend a little, look at boats in the $30k range and make an offer for $25k and pray that someone really wants to get rid of their.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Registered

My advice, which is worth the price you paid for it.
Right now, there are really nice boats that you can buy for the cost of the engines and outdrives.

If you find the boat you really want, negotiate the best deal you can. If you find something that will work for you, make an offer that you are comfortable with taking or walking.

In the long run, a few grand, one way or the other, means nothing in the long term ownership cost of a boat.

It is a buyer's market.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
JnT
Registered

I'm not an expert but after this weekend start shopping. Boating season is over for most of the country. Start making low offers and see what happens in November and December to definitely pull the trigger. Boat shows start up in January and people start getting the fever again with tax returns etc.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LuauLounge
My advice, which is worth the price you paid for it.
Right now, there are really nice boats that you can buy for the cost of the engines and outdrives.

If you find the boat you really want, negotiate the best deal you can. If you find something that will work for you, make an offer that you are comfortable with taking or walking.

In the long run, a few grand, one way or the other, means nothing in the long term ownership cost of a boat.

It is a buyer's market.
Agreed.
I wouldn't hesitate at this point if you come across the right boat for you. The prices are phenomenal for buying right now. Sure, you may be able to wheel and deal a bit more in the dead of winter, but don't pass up something good now that may be gone by then. a bird in hand..... blah blah.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered

Thanks... very sound advice for a rookie boater.

Just found two that I may check out this weekend... 1994 Baja 272 in WI and a 25' Powerquest in Lake in the Hills.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Registered

Now by far. If they don't sell it now they will be shelling out another $1,000.00 (winterize, storage, etc.)on something they are trying to get rid of and poss. making payments on something they are not using....
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Registered

I think prices are still all over the board, my advice is to not get emotional about the purchase, do your research and take your time, I'm sure there are plenty of 272's in the 20K range that are in great shape
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOW would be the best time since you can still water test it, you may get a better price over the winter, but no way to water test it, unless it is a southern boat. Also, once winterized, and winter storage is paid, most will keep theirs 'til spring to hope for more $$. Most people are going to say "what does a florida boy know?", but I used to live in the northeast, and made some extra $$ each season by buying a few boats in the fall, storing in my yard, and selling in the spring.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the nicest boat that you can afford both mentally and actually and buy a boat that you love. Don't worry about timing unless you think there is a chance you may have a major life change between now and next May. Finding an older boat that is really nice is a lot more difficult than it would seem. Buy nice and keep nice, don't buy somebodies turd to save a few bucks.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on how bad the owner wants to sell. Here is whst i thought as a seller: I had my Cigarette for sale for about a year. Could care less if it sold or not. My price was my price. Want it? Fine. Don't want it? Fine.
Now some sellers may WANT or NEED to sell, so shop and if you find a boat, offer what you feel it is worth. However, those sellers that will drop price may be trying to unload a troublesome boat or one that is about to have problems - so be careful and don't try to save $$ by bypassing a survey.

Deals are out there, just be patient.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.