Like Tree0Likes

How is this Legal????????

Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2011 Spectre 36 CC, 2014 formula 37 PC
Default How is this Legal????????

Why can boat company's re vin tag boats from left over 2008and sell them as 2010's?????????? In my business it illegal. I'm just being nosey. I have seen this more than once. No doubt the same boat. Different seller, but same boat.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Registered

I think its that the product has never left OEM and can be sold as current year product as long as it hasnt left OEM. Plus warranty doesnt start until customer takes posession. In the boat business not sure what it really hurts unless they mis rep the hours on it. Carol Shelby did this with left over Cobra parts a few years back. Took to the courts to be able to sell new Cobras as old ones using left over unused orig parts. OEM can re vin product as they see fit as long as it has never been titled.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Registered

Sunsation had a boat like that, it was dealer built for Europe (CE Certified) with underwater exhaust and other specifications. Dealer folded, they got the boat back and made some changes (exhaust through the transom was one) and re-vin'd the boat.

I believe Cigarette did it with American Muscle 1 (after it was used as a promotion/poker run boat).
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run View Post
I think its that the product has never left OEM and can be sold as current year product as long as it hasnt left OEM. Plus warranty doesnt start until customer takes posession. In the boat business not sure what it really hurts unless they mis rep the hours on it. Carol Shelby did this with left over Cobra parts a few years back. Took to the courts to be able to sell new Cobras as old ones using left over unused orig parts. OEM can re vin product as they see fit as long as it has never been titled.
Carrol Shelby did a little sleight of hand with the 427 Cobras. In order to race in a GTO (Gran turismo omologato) class, there had to be 200 units produced. Shelby had only made less than one hundred and was technically barred from that class. So.... he dummied up a bunch of MSO's (manufacturer's statement of origin) and claimed the cars were built, but not sold.
Enzo Ferrari did a similar trick when he built the 250GTO. There were only thirty six of them made, but they were built on the 250 chassis and slid under the rules.
Anyway, years later in the 90's, Shelby started making Cobras again, using the old paper work. California DOT went crazy because the cars didn't meet emission and safety standards of the day and quickly put an end to his little enterprise. All told there were only six of the "new/old Cobras" built. I know this for a fact because I disassembled one for paint, and then re-assembled the car for sale. Shelby didn't like the cost for me to do the work and decided to send the others to some cheap-o paint shop. That was 1993 if I remember correctly. These cars WERE NOT made from old parts. They were all new. New chassis and bodies. The only thing "old" about the cars was the paperwork that went along with them. They are considered by some as "real" rather than reproduction because Carrol Shelby himself or should I say his company built them. These cars have a badge on the nose that says "CS" The original Shelby Cobras were built by AC over in England then transported to Los Angeles to have the engines and running gear installed.
Those cars have a badge that says "AC".

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 09-03-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 32 Skater Qtr canopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy08 View Post
Why can boat company's re vin tag boats from left over 2008and sell them as 2010's?????????? In my business it illegal. I'm just being nosey. I have seen this more than once. No doubt the same boat. Different seller, but same boat.

Not so much.

Stick around and read the Beware section.

Apparently when reporting a boat stolen, you might actually want to own a boat too.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2011 Spectre 36 CC, 2014 formula 37 PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
Sunsation had a boat like that, it was dealer built for Europe (CE Certified) with underwater exhaust and other specifications. Dealer folded, they got the boat back and made some changes (exhaust through the transom was one) and re-vin'd the boat.

I believe Cigarette did it with American Muscle 1 (after it was used as a promotion/poker run boat).
How is that ok? Imagine if I can Badge all my 2010 cars I have right now (about 250 of them) and get 2011 money. Just seems weird. But what do I know? I guess it would have something to do that every model year change in cars, SOMETHING is different. Hey it didnt sell? Well lets just make it newer. How are banks cool with it?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 1998 Scarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy08 View Post
How is that ok? Imagine if I can Badge all my 2010 cars I have right now (about 250 of them) and get 2011 money. Just seems weird. But what do I know? I guess it would have something to do that every model year change in cars, SOMETHING is different. Hey it didnt sell? Well lets just make it newer. How are banks cool with it?
I'm with you, very bogus business. I'm thinking of crossing out my HIN, and changing it to 2010. Why not, my boat is clean and I decided that I want my boat to be new again
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Registered

My Boats: 08 Baja Outlaw

Lol! I AM WITH YA THERE!