Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/238381-outerlimits-fuel-tanks-leaching.html)

tgersx 09-04-2010 07:44 AM

Outerlimits Fuel Tanks Leaching?

Any One Know The Deal About Fuel Leaching With The Outerlimits Fuel Tanks? I Looked At A 39 Ol And The Owner Was Having The Fuel Tanks Replaced Due To Fuel Leaching The Boat Was Only An 2005 And Already Needs The Tanks Replaced. He Said This Is A Common Problem When Outerlimits Switched From Alum Tanks To Composite Lighter Tanks. Anyone Else Have This Problem Or What Years They Used These Tanks. I Was Going To Buy A 39 But Now With This Problem I Dont Wanna Buy A Boat And Have To Cut The Floors Out And Replace Tanks, The Boat Will Never Be The Same.

tgersx 09-04-2010 01:29 PM

bump

whataride 09-04-2010 02:19 PM

why do you feel the boat will " never be the same " ?

tgersx 09-04-2010 02:59 PM

had a fuel tank replaced in a boat one time, and began to flex and boat just was never like it was new

animalhouse 09-04-2010 03:01 PM

As with all pre ethanal boats, the fuel cells were constructed differently. Ask other manufactures, they have had their share of incidents. Also the fuel cells were manufactured by atl. Not Outerlimits, and they are installed in all brands of boats.

whataride 09-04-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by tgersx (Post 3199849)
had a fuel tank replaced in a boat one time, and began to flex and boat just was never like it was new

So you are saying that a bladder replacement is different then changing a motor or drive ? Maybe the tank replacement you had completed was done incorrectly ?

BattleCry 09-04-2010 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3199850)
As with all pre ethanal boats, the fuel cells were constructed differently. Ask other manufactures, they have had their share of incidents. Also the fuel cells were manufactured by atl. Not Outerlimits, and they are installed in all brands of boats.

If I'm reading this correctly, this person is saying, that, the fuel tanks were switched from aluminum to composite, during the building process, by Outerlimits sometime in the last 5 or 6 years. Does ethanol-blended fuel deteriorate aluminum fuel tanks? How long does it take for the composite tanks to deteriorate and need replacement?

tgersx 09-05-2010 02:26 PM

So Fred is there an easy way of replacing these tanks without cutting the boat apart? I imagine its not as easy as swapping an engine or drive. And if the floor does have be cut up don't you think OL should take some responsibility and fix these boats? Were only talking about boats made within the the past 5 years not a 10 year old boat. I understand that you guys did not build the tanks, but it was your decision to use them. Who would want to by an slightly used OL knowing that they are going to have to replace the fuel tanks.

fkboatman 09-06-2010 04:16 PM

If i owned one of the above, it would be sitting in driveway, with all batteries removed and no shore power hooked up. we know what happens when we have fuel vapors and a ignition source. if that happens you will need to make only 2 phone calls, 911 and your insurance adjuster.

tgersx 09-06-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by whataride (Post 3199866)
So you are saying that a bladder replacement is different then changing a motor or drive ? Maybe the tank replacement you had completed was done incorrectly ?

As far as I know replacing a drive or an engine does not require cutting the hull or the floor, unless Outerlimits has provided an access hole or cover to remove tanks which would be great.

whataride 09-07-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by tgersx (Post 3200891)
As far as I know replacing a drive or an engine does not require cutting the hull or the floor, unless Outerlimits has provided an access hole or cover to remove tanks which would be great.

No cover / access large enough to permit the Bladder removal . I am aware that a motor or drive does not require cutting the boat in some cases . I just disagree with the "never be the same " statement . Did you purchase a boat yet ? If you would like more info on the Tank issue PM . Me

pm203 09-07-2010 01:07 PM

I have heard about this problem as well. Does anyone know the years/models affected?

tgersx 09-07-2010 01:15 PM

I shouldn't say that the boat would never be the same, I'm sure there are plenty of glass guys that can handle the job. My main concern is buying an expensive top of the boat and knowing that someone is going to have to cut it up to remove tanks bothers me to say the least. Also I'm just surprised that Outerlimits or an other manufactures that used those tanks didn't do a recall of some sort and fix the problem. If it was a car manufacture you bet there would be a recall. I'm also curious what other manufactures used these tanks and what years.

pm203 09-07-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by tgersx (Post 3201550)
I shouldn't say that the boat would never be the same, I'm sure there are plenty of glass guys that can handle the job. .

Yah, but who wants to cut open a late model boat? I am not so sure the boat would be as good as new. It all depends who does the work and how detail oriented they are. As good as new isn't an automatic given.

skater40 09-07-2010 03:18 PM

My 2001 42 does not have a fuel tank issue.

no smoking 09-07-2010 03:27 PM

I have a 2006 39 quattro it has serious issues with leeching

whataride 09-07-2010 06:47 PM

Has OL offered any assistance ?

LubeJobs42 09-07-2010 08:45 PM

This is not a problem that is unique to Outerlimits. I have had 3 boats all less then 5 years old, all different makes that needed fuel tanks replaced. It sucks! It's expensive! But ATL is the company that made the tanks that MOST of the manufactures use to use.

Shorgasm 09-07-2010 08:52 PM

I'd loose my f'ing mind if my 06 $200k boat was leeching fuel this soon.

BattleCry 09-08-2010 04:52 AM

Is the tank aluminum or composite?

pm203 09-08-2010 10:44 AM

Cigarette uses aluminum and they have had no problems.

Marginmn 09-08-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by tgersx (Post 3199662)
Any One Know The Deal About Fuel Leaching With The Outerlimits Fuel Tanks? I Looked At A 39 Ol And The Owner Was Having The Fuel Tanks Replaced Due To Fuel Leaching The Boat Was Only An 2005 And Already Needs The Tanks Replaced. He Said This Is A Common Problem When Outerlimits Switched From Alum Tanks To Composite Lighter Tanks. Anyone Else Have This Problem Or What Years They Used These Tanks. I Was Going To Buy A 39 But Now With This Problem I Dont Wanna Buy A Boat And Have To Cut The Floors Out And Replace Tanks, The Boat Will Never Be The Same.

Thanks for posting this. I have been kicking around the notion of picking up a used GTX and I appreciate having this info beforehand.

Any idea what it costs to replace the tanks on a 39 to 42 GTX?

pm203 09-08-2010 12:23 PM

Just find out what years the factory used the tanks in question.

TexomaPowerboater 09-08-2010 12:37 PM

Man these boats shouldn't even be on the water. Suprised the coast guard hasn't done a full audit of every single manufacturer who used these tanks to make sure none of the boats are on the water without a certified inspection of new gas tanks. Also suprised the manufacturers aren't doing more to make EVERYBODY aware of this problem. Seems like the forums have been the only place to air this dirty laundry.

LV 09-08-2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 3202428)
Thanks for posting this. I have been kicking around the notion of picking up a used GTX and I appreciate having this info beforehand.

Me too man, im glad this was posted!

GLH 09-08-2010 12:56 PM

Are people talking about "leaking" here ?????

The spelling is sort of throwing me.

If not spelling what exactly is leaching fuel? Some animal attaches to your tank and sucks the fuel out?

Jupiter Sunsation 09-08-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 3202428)

Whew, glad I saw this before I put my deposit down on a 51 GTX with triple 1075's! :D

I think some of this goes under the concept of "if you can afford the boat then you can afford the issues that come along with it." A gas tank replacement is surely cheaper than the insurance on a cat of the same HP and that bill comes annually!

pm203 09-08-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3202507)
Whew, glad I saw this before I put my deposit down on a 51 GTX with triple 1075's! :D

I think some of this goes under the concept of "if you can afford the boat then you can afford the issues that come along with it." A gas tank replacement is surely cheaper than the insurance on a cat of the same HP and that bill comes annually!

You told me it was a 52. And, who wants to buy a late model boat, and cut it up to replace tanks. I don't care how much $$ you have.

Knot 4 Me 09-08-2010 01:35 PM

You wouldn't be crying in Joe's ear if your Sunny's tank was leaching?

LV 09-08-2010 01:39 PM

What does Cigarette use for fuel tanks?I have never heard of any issues, just wondering!

pm203 09-08-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LV (Post 3202549)
What does Cigarette use for fuel tanks?I have never heard of any issues, just wondering!

Aluminum. They looked into composite tanks ,but passed.

Marginmn 09-08-2010 01:44 PM

While it is certainly true that boats are not good investments, and I never think of them as such, who in their right mind wants to go through the hassle of ripping the gas tanks out of a high end boat they just purchased - and the million headaches and safety isues that go along with having bad tanks. In fact I can't think of a single person that I know on OSO who would not be pissed to no end if they bought a boat only to find after the fact that there was a widespread problem with defective fuel tanks in that make of boat.

You are way off the mark on this one Jupiter.

Steve 1 09-08-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by pm203 (Post 3202551)
Aluminum. They looked into composite tanks ,but passed.

Smart move.

Steve 1 09-08-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 3202552)
While it is certainly true that boats are not good investments, and I never think of them as such, who in their right mind wants to go through the hassle of ripping the gas tanks out of a high end boat they just purchased - and the million headaches and safety isues that go along with having bad tanks. In fact I can't think of a single person that I know on OSO who would not be pissed to no end if they bought a boat only to find after the fact that there was a widespread problem with defective fuel tanks in that make of boat.

You are way off the mark on this one Jupiter.

The problem is the fumes a fuel/air explosive has been described as a poor mans atom bomb. Our military has some real cool stuff on that concept.

Marginmn 09-08-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 1 (Post 3202572)
The problem is the fumes a fuel/air explosive has been described as a poor mans atom bomb. Our military has some real cool stuff on that concept.

Yikes. :eek:

pm203 09-08-2010 04:31 PM

So, what were/ are the years they used these tanks? Anyone?

animalhouse 09-08-2010 04:58 PM

there were ATL fuel bladders used in certain boats in 2005 & 2006

LV 09-08-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3202746)
there were ATL fuel bladders used in certain boats in 2005 & 2006

That sux, kind of changes my plans, so what does it cost "roughly" to change the tanks?
Has this been done yet by the factory or any other reputable company?