New marina in Central Florida

Notices

New marina in Central Florida

Old 05-07-2002, 04:01 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New marina in Central Florida

My buddy is building a new marina in Edgewater Florida and was presented with a strange suggestion for the construction of dry storage rack.
Most of us have seen boats stored as well as transported with carpet type material covering the resting pads on trailers and dry storage racks.
He has recently been told that the new method is to bevel the top edges of the treated wooden racks, thus eliminating the 90 degree edges. He was then told that this would eliminate the need for covering the wood with carpet, etc. to protect the hull from scratches.
Any comments on this "new concept"??
Thanks
marc
Old 05-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is not enough. There needs to be some kind of padding. I couldn't imagine resting a boat on bare wood.

At our marina, there is a variety of materials. The older ones have carpeting and some of the newer racks have been fitted with sheets of silicone rubber. It gets a good grip and won't harm the boat.

Something else that has surfaced recently on the of the racks is that they actually closely wrap the bunks with rope. Then the rope is tied off at the ends and shot with some kind of spray caulking in between the windings. Never a scratch.