Like Tree0Likes

More power out of 6.2's

Reply
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bahamas
My Boats: 1999 28' Pantera
Posts: 233
Default More power out of 6.2's

Whats the best way to up my 6.2's 320hp to about 400hp?? What is the lagging factor on these?? Heads, intake, exhaust??
Austin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Whats the best way to up my 6.2's 320hp to about 400hp?? What is the lagging factor on these?? Heads, intake, exhaust??
6.2's don't have the internals for bigger HP.....leave them alone. Remember the 320 HP 6.2's weigh less than BBCs and a 454 Mag was only 330 HP ten years ago but obviously had more "build up" potential.

Being a Bahamas boater I think good fuel consumption and reliable motors are worth more to you than 160 extra HP.
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Expensive Date's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Creek NJ
My Boats: 05 35 Fountain EX
Posts: 4,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
6.2's don't have the internals for bigger HP.....leave them alone. Remember the 320 HP 6.2's weigh less than BBCs and a 454 Mag was only 330 HP ten years ago but obviously had more "build up" potential.

Being a Bahamas boater I think good fuel consumption and reliable motors are worth more to you than 160 extra HP.
+1
The only solution would be to put the 400hp 383s from mercury.I think they are about 12k each but you may be able to get them cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=280554490356

Last edited by Expensive Date; 09-09-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Expensive Date is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
+1
The only solution would be to put the 400hp 383s from mercury.I think they are about 11k each but you may be able to get them cheaper.
They are "remanufactured" motors only, no new 383's available. The 400 HP only is there if you replace the exhaust with CMIs. So add in the cost of the CMIs and you are into it for 25K+ real quick.
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Expensive Date's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Creek NJ
My Boats: 05 35 Fountain EX
Posts: 4,220
Default

Did not know that.
Expensive Date is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
Did not know that.
My guess is they simply bore all the 6.2 blocks they take back under warranty.....6.2 motors are used in everything out there from cruisers to small Fountains!
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
  #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
My guess is they simply bore all the 6.2 blocks they take back under warranty.....6.2 motors are used in everything out there from cruisers to small Fountains!
I had read that they take manufactured defects from either the 350 or 6.2 and turn them into 383.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 PM
  #8
Registered
 
ZXXX Donzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tennessee
My Boats: Fountain 35 w/500 EFI's, 1973 Donzi X-18 w/383 Mag,1974 Chris Craft Roamer w/1271TI's
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
I had read that they take manufactured defects from either the 350 or 6.2 and turn them into 383.
Yep, I have one in my little Donzi X-18. I run the hell out of it. Great engine.

They have been boosted with success. I would prboably want to go into the internals if I wanted to do much with it.
ZXXX Donzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bahamas
My Boats: 1999 28' Pantera
Posts: 233
Default

Looks like I may be keeping my pantera, so just trying to speed her up a tad. I was hoping to throw some better heads on or something like that to get a few more MPH. I have Stainless Marine exhaust but that's it for mods so far. I'm even thinking -2 shorties, my prop shafts are 5.5" below the hull, so thinking shorties would give me a few more MPH and better fuel econ. Right now she pops up on plane with no cavitation.
Austin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
  #10
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default

Austin, call Laz Mesa.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.