Like Tree0Likes

I saw this on the APBA forum....

Old 05-07-2002, 11:00 PM
Charter Member #1528

Wink I saw this on the APBA forum....

I saw this on the APBA forum.... thought you guys should see....

Chris Carmody
posted 05-05-2002 10:45 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
REFLECTIONS OF OUR DEBUT AT DAYTONA BEACH!

As most of you know, this was my first racing effort since my brother Jack passed away. All during that time, I pondered what I should do to honor the memory of my brother and carry on his tradition in some fashion that would be appropriate. I chose to enter the competetitive arena of offshore racing for this very reason.

After making this decision, I was extremely disenchanted and disillusioned by the "cold shoulder" reception from Jack's old Extreme Carlos and Charlie's Team. I assumed that they would welcome me and that they would want to keep things going as best we could. I was wrong. I don't think the team was ready to accept me. They thought of me as a green outsider. They knew only of the sibling rivalry that my brother and I always had. But to this day, I don't think they knew the deep love I had for my brother. To say the least I was devastated, but chose to press on anyway. I took the decision I made about racing in Jack's honor to heart even more.

This choice certainly was no bed of roses from the APBA standpoint either. The politics and infighting of the organization also disappointed and confused me. I don't mind saying I started to question openly if this entire commitment was something worth staying with. I inwardly asked myself if this was truly the sport that I wanted to promote and help to grow. The key was that I knew how much passion my brother had for APBA Offshore racing. Being consistent, I chose to stay the course and keep things on track.

Last week at Daytona was our debut, featuring the HIDDEN AGENDA #53 on the water in my first competition. The race was truly a thrill. Although we were behind the lead from the start to the powerful DRAMBUIE ON ICE team, we didn't quit and made the most of our first effort. In fact, our successful race for fourth postion provided the best sheer racing of the Sunday final series of races, or so I was told by fans who watched us go back and forth. TEAM VIRGIN put up a gallant struggle with us before we were able to prevail very late in the day. I could not have been prouder of this first effort of ours. It was exhilarating.

JOHN TOMLINSON, the defending World Champion throttleman for DRAMBUIE ON ICE, then provided me with the highlight of the weekend. As the crowd of joyous fans, TV cameras, team members and well-wishers were celebrating John's decisive and well-earned victory, he went out of his way to come over and give me the biggest hug. When John said "Welcome to the APBA! I'm proud to have you here!", then you might as well have thought that I had won the race. In many ways, we both won at Daytona. At that very moment, I felt embraced and welcomed at long last by the sport that my brother loved so much. That moment with John will always stay with me, just as Jack's memory will always be with our team each time we take the green flag.

John's gesture shows what I know APBA can and should be. Yes, we'll fight it out on the water each and every time we race. But when we finish, we shake hands, congratulate each other's efforts, and leave the fight on the water where it should always remain. That's the spirit of sportsmanship that John touched me and my entire team with. He's a gentleman, a leader, and a true champion. I can't think of a better ambassador for APBA than JOHN TOMLINSON.

Chris Carmody

.... and as another wrote....
Good luck to you this year, and don't let anyone deter you from following your heart and your dream .....I couldn't agree more, Chris!
Your comments about Johnny couldn't be more accurate! Good Luck !!!
Michelle
aka RiverGirl

Last edited by RiverGirl; 05-08-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:39 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 36 Concept

I had the privilidge of visiting TNT right before the Miami Poker Run with a buddy's boat.

All I will say is that every rigging shop in the world should strive to have a setup that includes a "JT" as well has his tream.

JT and the guys could not have been more helpful while we were there getting work done.

They are without a doubt the model that everyone should follow!
Old 05-07-2002, 11:54 PM
wilerty

I do not know any of the players involved, but suspect there is much more and another side to the story expressed in the second paragraph ...

Old 05-08-2002, 01:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

J.T. is not only a fine competitor, but a truly fine person as well. Everything he does represents a step beyond the norm both in business and personally. He is a very religious man without shoving it down your throat.

I actually admire him...and Hell...I don't admire anybody.

This piece also says alot about Mr. Carmody...... I can't speak for his talent, having never seen him run...but he has got gumption..and that has been the single ingredient around which many successful careers have been built. I wish him well.

Finally, as to a suitable tribute to his brother, Jack.... May I suggest a donation to the fund for fellow racer, Doug Lewis......who is battling bone cancer.....valiantly. His courage through this has been an inspiration to those of us who are priveleged to call him friend.

Come to think of it...I admire him too.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-08-2002 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Charter Member #1528

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveP
I had the privilidge of visiting TNT right before the Miami Poker Run with a buddy's boat.

All I will say is that every rigging shop in the world should strive to have a setup that includes a "JT" as well has his tream.

JT and the guys could not have been more helpful while we were there getting work done.

They are without a doubt the model that everyone should follow!
Since I have had the privilege of working around the "CREW" ... I will concur with you on this. Everyone there is top notch, and I have the out most greatest respect for all of them.

Good Luck to TNT this race season!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28ft Saber, 22 Velocity

Although I have never met John Tomlinson, I have been to a couple of races and seen him there, he was always very professional in every way! One of the true "Offshore Great's of all time" in my book!

Sorry to hear about Doug Lewis, hang in there man!! Keep up the fight!! I have a buddy that is going through the same thing. It's very hard on him and his family!
Old 05-16-2002, 10:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 46skater

Johnny and the boys are all top drawer not a nicer guy in the highpo boat biz picked his brain many times.theres a good reason he remains #1