Like Tree0Likes

Coast guard and DUI's

Old 05-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Top Gun T/S

well put, buford! i would say with over 1800 DWI arrests, you are an expert.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

Troutly,
Very well said!
MD
Old 05-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: fuel injection, superchargers

Thank You Troutly.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Four Winns Liberator 241

I agree Troutly, that was well said.

I can speak from experience however that some of the other stuff that was said is bang on here. I know some of our local cops personally and have seen them leave the bar hammered and be the designated driver for all their buddies because if they get pulled over they just give a smile and go about their business. I too have blown over, just barely and they let me go because they said I appeared sober and passed any test they gave me I just was over the limit so I really can't *****. I do watch myself more carefully now however.

Sorry, Dave that didn't help you out at all!
Old 05-08-2002, 12:39 PM
bschoe

Troutly,

Thanks for throwing the BS flag. Most of the time it only took showing the pictures of the body parts to emphasize the "Spirit of the Law"

We used two behavior standards one for AFLOAT and the other for ASHORE. Sometimes I would board a boat at sea and administer the HGN and observe additional behavior to establish whether or not to tow a boat to the dock for further testing. We did not use the word preliminary for our breath test. Alco Sensor II's or III's were used as final results. The units were required to be calibrated every 5 tests and disposed after 1000 if I remember it right.

I am no longer involved in recreational boating safety or small boat operations. I am a very active boater and understand the observations of over enforcement. I admit that I had to spent a lot of time teaching and counseling personnel how to walk the fence of enforcement verses infringement on the publics right to have fun on the water. I also vividly understand how the rest of peoples lives are affected when the fun on the water goes very bad very quick.

Brad

Old 05-08-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

ATTABOY troutly......I knew you would get on here!!!!!
Now....get them drunks OFF the road!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

First, WELL SAID TROUTLY! I am a bit more opinionated in this area than most I guess. I have seen, witnessed and lived the HORRIBLE effects of alcohol many times over. First, i lost both my mother and father-in-law to alcohol related deaths at different times. Secondly, I am a firefighter and have pulled many dead and people who should be dead victims from auto accidents. When you see the HORRIFIC things that happen in these accidents, ESPECIALLY TO INNOCENT victims you WILL have a DIFERENT POINT OF VIEW. I agree that there are certain cops that think they are above the law. In fact I know a few myself. Here locally we had a pair of cops that were out at a strip joint, got drunk, drove and one died. The one driving quickly checked himself into a re-hab and psych clinic to avoid potential problems and the department tried to make him out to be the victim. BULL****! If you DRINK and DRIVE I have NO RESPECT for you! In today's day and age NO ONE can say they were not aware. If you do drink and drive and have an accident and kill yourself, I have NO pity for you! If you kill or injure someone else then I have a deep resentment toward you. Why? Because you were so selfish that you did not take into consideration the JEOPARDY you put EVERYONE on the road in by your STUPID ACTIONS! I have NO PROBLEMS with drinking. I enjoy a cocktail here and there as well. BUT, you can BET YOUR ASS I WILL NOT DRIVE ANYTHING AFTERWARDS! It is just stupid. When you pull innocent victims from vehicles and see the pain and sufferring that they and or their loved ones go through, you will soon understand just what I am talking about. Sorry to preach but I just HATE to see stupid things like this happen, especially when they were TOTALLY preventable. Go out and party and drink till your hearts content, just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have someone who HAS NOT DRANK be your driver. Thanks and have a GREAT SUMMER!

Shane

Last edited by Shane; 05-08-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Four Winns Liberator 241

Troutly, I don't mean to blanket all cops either. I know some great ones ... and you certainly seem to be one of them and I commend you for it.

Nor do I think drinking and driving is ok.

Saturday morning I wake up to find out that there was an accident on my front lawn early in the morning. As the house is about 300 feet from the road, I didn't hear the accident. The driver was a young guy ... my age or so, I think 28. He had been at a Stag & Doe and got hammered and was falling asleep at his table. His wife had gone home before him to tend to their 1 year old child. He decided he better head it home as he was so drunk and tired and hopped behind the wheel of his F150. He missed the bend in the road at my house and when he hit my gravel drive way he woke and tried to correct but it was too late. He hit the sign in the yard that warns of the upcoming railroad tracks which sent him straight towards the 2 oaks in the yard. The first one hit the front of the truck on the drivers side which corrected his path straight into the next one. Head on. He died on the scene. His wife worried about him, decided to head into town with the baby with her and came upon the accident.

My prayers are with his family, it was his own fault but I still feel for him.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 97 41' Saber --Ancestral Spirit

Let me start off by saying --I didn't mean for this to turn into a smear fest-- The guy has nothing against the coasties for pulling him over-- he did fail the test, and realizes very well that he should not of piloted that boat that night, he screwed up.
when i said nothing happened-- what i meant was that he wasn't brought into the station and booked or anything else other than left to sleep it off till the next day.
But you're right what did happen was the CG made the water safer by taking a 'possible accident' from behind the wheel.
The fact that some cops do what they do, I really don't understand, We also have some of what was described above. But not the problem that i'm focusing on right now.
This guy just wanted to know what the proper procedure was to basically say he was sorry for being stupid, pay the fine, and try to keep a learning lesson from costing him a lot more money and hassle than what is ultimately neccesary.
Bschoe--- you're totally right. The fines must have come up a little max. allowed by law ---$5000, under the recommended fine $750 is marked, yet the fine charged is written up at $1100. Plus the fact that he had a nav light out, rec. $50 fine charged at $100. Should he write back to see if the fine can be lessened to the rec. amounts???

Thanx again for all the posts
Old 05-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: Baja Force 235

What types of tests have you all seen given? They checked me several weeks ago (was not drinking at the time). Did ABC's finger counting etc. May be a good idea to practice these if you plan on being checked.