Eat your hearts out turbo's! >

Eat your hearts out turbo's!

Notices

Eat your hearts out turbo's!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Not trying to turn this into a procharger vs. whipple thread but a blanket statement that prochargers don't make torque is ridiculous.. This is a 555 (marine engine) with $2600 off the shelf conventional cylinder heads on 92 octane pump and 12lbs boost. How's the torque curve for ya? and yes it makes chitloads at lower rpm too..
Torque curve is actually pretty weak since its rising at 5200, meaning its only lower down low. It actually looks like it was a backwards pull (high rpm to low). You can't argue with science, centrifugal's do not make the low end torque screw's do. Thats a moot point. If you want to deal with lag, go with a turbo and pickup the extra 300hp thats left on the table from the power consumption.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 55thunder
What about plane time, we've made over 1000lb/ft before 3000rpm... Got torque?
1200 sounds a lot better, so yup, gots lots of torque, thanks much! Got belt issues? Amazing a itsy bitsy 12-rib belt makes 1800hp without slipping, even when 95" long!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Cool and thnx for the heads up ,good job on the 4.0s but my SKATER Bro P P sayz wait it out for the 10s
Got a 12L too
Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to get defensive Dusty, I wasn't comparing prochargers to whipples, just saying that the myth that you can't make torque with prochargers is untrue. To say that 1000+ ft/lbs from 5100 to 6800 on 92 octane is weak is a bit of a stretch. How much more power would I have made with a whipple @12lbs? How many performance boats need 1000+ ft/lbs of torque to get on plane?

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 09-23-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
1200 sounds a lot better, so yup, gots lots of torque, thanks much! Got belt issues? Amazing a itsy bitsy 12-rib belt makes 1800hp without slipping, even when 95" long!
Have yet to break a polychain belt...
Wouldn't a linear torque curve be easier on drives? Having owned both types numerous times, the torque curve is definately different, guess I just prefer the mad pull on the top versus an extra 100lb/ft down low..
I'm not putting down your work, it's badass to say the least, yet, watching a 306ci lay down 1400hp has it's coolness factor too...
Don't mind me. I'm just a redneck with a TIG and a paintgun.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
No need to get defensive Dusty, I wasn't comparing prochargers to whipples, just saying that the myth that you can't make torque with prochargers is untrue. To say that 1000+ ft/lbs from 5100 to 6800 on 92 octane is weak is a bit of a stretch. How much more power would I have made with a whipple @12lbs? How many performance boats need 1000+ ft/lbs of torque to get on plane?
Probably 25hp and 200+ lbs of torque at mid rpm.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Registered

Wink

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
hmmm,that engine +18ft Donzi+Arneson+life insurance=worlds biggest/fastest jet-ski.....
sounds like a plan!
Guess what there a 22 donzi with a arneson drive and aprox 2000hp getting ready to run . its not turbine its a v8 . I'll let him post the rest,Congrats on this motor Dustin with all this hp you guys need a arneson drive.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

What amazes me most about this thread is that Whipple is constantly pushing the bar to make more power and to make it reliable.
The name of the company is Whipple superchargers, not Whipple turbocharger or Whipple centrifugal superchargers.
When he posts his results and trying things like this at the company's expense, why do guys have to try to bag on it? Yes, R&D costs money, they will pull and pull on this engine until it goes, otherwise how else will they be able to give a customer a potential time frame for hours?
If these car guys that are making such huge HP and TQ, Where are the vids? if they are that good and have built such reliable huge power in a boat, then by all means start a thread and show the dyno pulls and the boat as well as the hours and pricing as Whipple has, don't come at us with what a car does in a 1/4 mile.
I cant wait to see the next best thing for horsepower and to make my boat go faster, I have seen other builders here post their vids and dyno pulls and Whipple has been there cheering them on, at times offering advice. superchargers or turbos, coke or pepsi, ford vs Chevy, either way it benefits us all...some of you really need to unclench your sphincters...
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whipple Superchargers.........Top Shelf race/performance product for what this website is about...Offshore Powerboats! And thats that.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
What amazes me most about this thread is that Whipple is constantly pushing the bar to make more power and to make it reliable.
The name of the company is Whipple superchargers, not Whipple turbocharger or Whipple centrifugal superchargers.
When he posts his results and trying things like this at the company's expense, why do guys have to try to bag on it? Yes, R&D costs money, they will pull and pull on this engine until it goes, otherwise how else will they be able to give a customer a potential time frame for hours?
If these car guys that are making such huge HP and TQ, Where are the vids? if they are that good and have built such reliable huge power in a boat, then by all means start a thread and show the dyno pulls and the boat as well as the hours and pricing as Whipple has, don't come at us with what a car does in a 1/4 mile.
I cant wait to see the next best thing for horsepower and to make my boat go faster, I have seen other builders here post their vids and dyno pulls and Whipple has been there cheering them on, at times offering advice. superchargers or turbos, coke or pepsi, ford vs Chevy, either way it benefits us all...some of you really need to unclench your sphincters...
I agree to a point, but don't start the thread with a slap in the face to turbos, when twin 95mm's would have made 600 more hp on the same engine..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.