Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
itunes/IPOD question...crashed computer >

itunes/IPOD question...crashed computer

Notices

itunes/IPOD question...crashed computer

Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Touch Copy is good. I use it to help my clueless friends.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were broken into and the laptop was sto;en I used sharepod or touch to pull all the music off my Ipod then had to load it to Itunes and all worked well. When I get home tonight I can verify which program I used.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

And for future reference (ie:backups)

One of the great things about Macs is they can be cloned, and bootable, easily. You can download a free copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, from Bombich Software. Works very, very well. There are others that cost a nominal fee.

I clone every night. I had a memory chip go bad in a 2003 iMac at home. It did some damage to the HD, because my daughter kept using it. I got a new chip installed, and plugged in the external HD. In the meantime, I could boot from the external drive and use the clone as if it were the original computer. The revert from clone feature basically loads your new HD and you have your old machine back.

You can sorta, kind of use this in the PC world, if running on identical hardware. Some techs can come back from a PC clone, but it never works the same. And you still have the Windows degradation issue to deal with.

Storage is so incredibly cheap now. I have a new 1TB external at home, that cost around $59.